VegasBrad

Flyaway Vegas Discounts

Hey All!

Beginning May 3rd each week Flyaway Las Vegas will be holding Thursday Night Flight School. All USPA members with a current membership card are invited to fly at drastically discounted rates. For years Flyaway has struggled with an intensely hot wind tunnel, however owners Keith and Chris Fields recently made an upgrade to the air conditioning system that has made a HUGE difference. On top of that we are extending our hours to 10am to 10pm 7 days a week and we’d like you to be able to take advantage of it. Every Thursday from 8 – 10pm USPA members will get $20 flights, $5 DVDs and 25% off retail. That’s 15 minutes of flight time for just $100. As always coaching is free and will be available from senior instructors like K8 Sommer, Mikey Silva and myself. So stop by and have some fun next time you’re in Vegas, we’d love to fly with you.

If you’re not able to make it in on Thursday nights come in and ask about regular USPA discounts, we’ve recently cut prices for USPA members any day of the week.

Brad Hess
Manager
Flyaway Vegas

As always coaching is free and will be available from senior instructors like K8 Sommer, Mikey Silva and myself.

Since I don't work there I have no problem pimping this....TIPS Go A LONG WAY

So stop by and have some fun next time you’re in Vegas, we’d love to fly with you.

see you there
My photos

My Videos

Good question....I just assumed it was fast enough. What speed does the tunnel go to? And can one wear a normal jumpsuit in it for HD? Or does one need a balloon suit?

B.

honestly i dont know.. could be theyve 'upgraded'.. it wasnt intended as a slam vs the Vegas tunnel at all.. i just did not think it was capable of 'true head down' speeds

Well, I just got some insider info on the tunnel, and forget it. Apparently the tunnel doesn't support freefly speeds, and if you want to sit... you need a balloon suit. Its a whuffo tunnel I guess....not that anything is wrong with that. Unless you advertise to actual skydivers...:)

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

It is not a whuffo tunnel. those who say that just dont know how to fly.

It isn't as fast clean as the eloy tunnel but you can fly in there

It does support freefly speed. Go ask sugar Ray at Eloy he learned at flyaway.

As far as balloon suits goes, it depends how fat you are.

I've seen guys fly there with a tshirt. they hold one arm over their head ( like when you dump) and pull the shirt over it.

Will you do that the first time you get in the Vegas tunnel? probably not, maybe not ever but there are some pretty amazing things that go on in this tunnel.
My photos

My Videos

Our tunnel is what you make of it. I'll repeat my battle cry: The more time your body spends in the wind (whatever wind it may be) the more bodyflight skill you are going to learn. You can call us a wuffo tunnel because we cater mostly to tourists (we are in Vegas after all) but don't don't call us a wuffo tunnel just because the facility is old and doesn't have Skyventure's advantage of 20 years of technology. There are plenty of baddass flyers here, staff and non staff. This year one of our instructors took 2nd place in the free fly event at collegiate nationals with under 100 jumps. We know tunnels and we understand the industry, we don't for a second pretend to be able to compete with Skyventure wind speeds. We all love to fly, and that is the heart of this sport, and if you're still not convinced come in and watch a staff flight you'll see what I mean.

Brad
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving

Do you just have people show up on thur. nights or is it better to call and book time first. I would love to come and fly with you guys on thur nights.

I don't think my rw suit will work for the vegas tunnel, its tight. Is a baggy pair of sweat pants and baggy long sleave shirt cool to wear?

You won't need to book time, the evenings are slow right now. You're right, your RW suit won't do you much good unless you're built like a kite. Baggy sweats work great, XLTs are the best, we can loan you what you don't have too. Look forward to flying with you!

Brad
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving

Every Thursday from 8 – 10pm USPA members will get $20 flights, $5 DVDs and 25% off retail.

I went by last night and had a great time.

They charged $25 for each of my 4 flights, and offered the DVD for an additional $25. I didn't argue about the price because I couldn't remember exactly what the post here said, it was still cheap, and I have no interest in a DVD of me making an ass of myself.

Other than that, the staff were really cool and I enjoyed every second of it. I'll definitely be back for more, but I think I'll pass on the 4th flight next time. Sore as hell today!

Ya know, I wasn't going to even reply, as it seems more of a masochistic thing to do here on this site.....but I haven't hated myself for a while...might as well get some time in.

Here goes.....

I call Bullshit. Vegas Flyaway is not a tunnel that anyone that wants to spend their money on working on their freeflying. Now this is not a slam in the least to the Vegas tunnel, its just fact....cold hard facts. It is an older tunnel, slower speeds, with less horsepower, and does not resemble any modern tunnel in operation. Slower tunnels teach shitty body position, that does not translate into any useful positions in the sky. You have to lean back very far to get lift, and that hinders the position from taking grips in any meaningful way. Lets forget HD altogether. Unless you are Grisham, and weigh 120lbs dripping wet, its not a wise way to spend your money as a skydiver with goals. Tunnels are for flying your body....not flying a suit.

I just got back from the CO tunnel again and had this conversation about just this thread with some of the guys there. Now keep in mind...this is not trash talking, just facts... The guys in Vegas buy time in the Co. tunnel to fly HD. When was the last time you ever heard of an instructor spending money at another tunnel? Dude...it just doesn't happen, unless you can't do what you want at your own tunnel. This doesn't make the Vegas tunnel obsolete, but merely not the best tunnel for skydivers that want to freefly.

In my opinion, its a whuffo tunnel. That doesn't make it bad, in fact, its probably more profitable that tunnels at actual DZ's due to is traffic. Its all comes down to profitiability in the end. I can't think of a better place to have a tunnel for tourists than Vegas. But when it comes to advertising to the skydiving crowd, I feel its not wise to lead people to believe that they can do whatever they want in the Vegas tunnel, as they could in, lets say a modern Skyventure tunnel.

Just my opinion. Based on my own experience in 3 different tunnels, and from statements from several experienced tunnel instructors. Take from it what you want.

First, no one ever said you could do anything you want in our tunnel. I call bullshit on your claim that our tunnel does not teach usefull body positions. I was stable and hanging with the group on my first free fly jump, and this was with about 30 jumps total. Why such a one track mind? Whats the matter with going to a tunnel for fun?
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving

First, no one ever said you could do anything you want in our tunnel.

This guy did:

Jtval

It does support freefly speed

:P Don't worry Brad, don't let some comments by a tunnel whuffo get to ya! He's wrong, your right, you JT, me and all the rest of us who know full well that both Flyaways are just fine and have trained and produced a good variety of tunnelrats & world class freeflyin skydivers INCLUDING military for the last 25+ years now! There is NO denying those "facts" and only someone who is new to the sport would think any differently.

This conversation will always repeat itself, it's only about the 5th time here since these boards were created... and there will always be a "variety of opinions" however none of those change the "facts". Skydivers and tunnelrats have been freeflying in Flyaway since the early 80's.. and some think that the invention of another completely unrealistic and irrelevant "freefall simulator" technology cancels out history, but it doesn't.

Rest assured though this is a popular sentiment among america,... it was "hard" to do it at this one place, so let's invent another place where anyone could do it and it makes it EASY to do. Viola! Problem solved. However... it's just the same as anything else in a modern society.. just cuz it is easier to do doesn't make it better, and in MOST cases, by taking the easy way, you've missed valuable lessons that you can't even comprehend and your elders will always know you just don't know what your talking about cuz you don't even understand.

IMO.. if you want to skydive.. GET OUT of the tunnel. There is NO shortage of conversations here on how DIFFERENT they are (skydiving vs. tunnel), so why keep comparing them??!!!

but seriously.. on topic.... what happened that tommy(thevegan) paid $5 more for each flight than you said? Inquiry minds want to know! ;) Tommy there is a local... you all need to track him back down and HOOK HIM UP!:)

This guy did:

Jtval

It does support freefly speed

Yes I did say that. I bet if you go back a few years you can see that I USED TO agree with you, but I have since gotten in the tunnel and learned to feel the air. I can freefly in it.
Yes, it's not as easy as it is in the sky but I can free fly. I can also do backflips off the wall. I guess the next thing I have to work on is sharpening my back flying...

BTW- I dont weigh 120lbs. and I am not 6'4" either
My photos

My Videos

I'd been an instructor at Perris since it had opened, and about a year had gone by. On a random Vegas trip with some mutual friends JTVal was nice enough to let some of us crash with him. We had the obligitory "so you work in a tunnel, eh?" conversation and he was a total tunnel noob. I smiled, talked a little shop, and we moved on to local fun stuff. He sounds like a guy who knows through experience more about tunnels now, and that is the only way anyone can make a decision about how relevant flying in slow air is. Personally, I consider myself a much more technical flyer than someone who only flies in fast air thanks to my time at Perris. My range of flight is much greater because of it. Spend some time in some slow air at any tunnel (the fast ones can be slowed down and the instructor has no problem accomadating you) and you actually start to learn your body. Don't expect for the same positions to work in faster air, but the elements that make them up are still there. If you try to sitfly at 200 mph you can't dock the same way you do at 150mph or at 130mph. But can you dock at all these speeds. Do you even know what similarities there are between the methods? You would if you'd taken the time to learn instead of insisting that there is only one true form that everyone must adhere to (but that's not what freeflying is all about, is it?)
Don't Confuse Me With My Own Words

Yea, I've got some tunnel time now.

just for further clarification:
I have been in ELoy and Orlando a few times, in each, and the air is cleaner and faster but I learned to fly in flyaway so I know what I can do and have seen what is possible.

Kris,
I still haven't been to the perris tunnel next time I go I will lok into blocking some time. I am positive the freeflying will be totally diff in there and I may not even attempt to talk anyone into letting me LOL.

Hell, I still owe beer for my reserve ride 3 years ago.(its been that fukn long since I made it to Perris)
My photos

My Videos

Went again last night, and things were the same, still $25 per flight.

The cashier didn't know anything about a Thursday night special, and said that $25 per flight was the regular USPA discount. Nothing for DVDs either. She said she'd ask Brad about it the next time she saw him.

I wasn't terribly dissapointed, as $25 is considerably cheaper than the $60 that each of my 4 friends that came with me paid for their flights. There is no way I could afford $60 for 3 minutes on any kind of regular basis.

I had a great time again, and even though I swore to myself prior that I wouldn't go more than 3 times, I was really getting into it at the end of my 3rd run, and couldn't resist a fourth. I think that taking breaks between flights helped considerably, since I'm not sore this morning like I was last week. Probably a bit of muscle memory contributing as well.

AFF 3 & 4 (and maybe 5) this weekend. Can't wait.