chanti

Freestyle in tunnel

I'm interested to learn freestyle and wondered if I could learn the basics in tunnel. Does anybody have any information with regards to which tunnel would be best to go to for something like this and also if there are freestyle coaches available at the tunnel? Also approx how many hours to learn the basics?

-Chanti-

SVCO in Colorado has several great freestyle fliers that are also consumate instructors. The tunnel, IMHO, is the place to learn freeflying to get the basics quickly. It is actually harder to do in the tunnel than on a jump, so if you can do it there you can do it anywhere...;)

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

some tips for learning freestyle:

1. obtain some videos of people doing freestyle, both free routines and compulsories. Dale Stuart is a good source. www.winddance.com

2. obtain a patient dedicated cameraman.

3. don't be afraid to do a lot of solos to learn new moves. don't be surprised when your cameraman can't keep you in frame at first either.

4. get coaching when you can afford it. Yoko's a fabulous coach by the way.

5. limit the number of moves you try on a dive to 1-2 at first, especially if you're trying difficult things. repeat those moves as many times as you can, but take a good hard pause after an attempt before restarting. after you get them down you can start increasing the number of moves per dive.

6. tunnel training for freestyle is difficult, because you have to complete the entire freefly progression before they'll let you try any freestyle stuff (or at least that's how it is at the Skyventure tunnels). so we didn't do much of that because we don't live near a tunnel and didn't have the time for the whole progression.

if you have any questions, feel free to contact me privately and I'll help you as much as I can. I can't claim to be an expert on this stuff by any means, but my wife and I did go to our first nationals last year and we can definitely share our experiences with you.