ORANGENBLUE

Tunnel Preperation

What kind of exercises do you do to get in shape for the tunnel?

You need to do exercise in this sport? I've only got a little under two hours of tunnel time in total, but the closest I've ever come to exercise is the post-flight cool down at the local bar. [Cool]

I just got back from Colorado. This was my first time in the tunnel. Spent two hours+ in two days. I am extremely extremely fit. I did feel it in the lower back. The inner and back of the thigh. A little in the pecs also. If I could go back a month or two I would do more work on these areas. I don't do much with weights but I run 7 miles on Mon and Fri, and 15 on the bike Tue Wed Thurs. By Tuesday, I had to try and remember what hurt on Sun.

I am a 4-way guy and I got so much out of the tunnel, it was awesome "wow". Have fun
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

You had a great camp, Todd.

-Each- of us in our group likely flew between 3 and 4 hours over two days depending on how many shared sessions we scheduled. My 11 year old flew at least 45 minutes, my teammates girlfriend flew a half hour (not yet a skydiver). The 11 year old kept asking if mommy was going to use all of her time, because if not, she'd take it......:P

Our preps, apparently, were as follows:

eat a lot of fatty food for a few months prior
think about exercise during the same period, instead watch a lot of Scrubs on TV
sleep about 4 hours each night of the camp
drink margaritas and/or beer
watch our arms shake during meals

actually, 1 day later and one full night's sleep and I'm back to normal. One should expect a slight stiffness in the lower back and triceps, maybe the pecs. But if in reasonable fitness, it's shouldn't be an issue for most. The real issue is doing too much time to the point where the benefits aren't being realized from just being past the optimal worn out point in the training.

Though my eyes dried out much worse than ever did in Orlando or Eloy (likely the altitude and lack of sleep added to that).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It depends on what type of flying you'll be doing in the tunnel. If you're going to be belly flying, a bit of stretching will suffice , and eating the fatty food with lack of excercise, as the last poster suggested, will be fine..

However, if you plan on freeflying, you will definitely need to be more hydrated & stretched. Freeflying in the tunnel will wear you out considerably faster than belly flying. Time and time again I've seen people that can normally fly an hour straight on their belly, walk out in complete exhaustion after 10 mins, unable to finish their last 5 mins with freeflying and having to go to back fly or belly fly.

What kind of flying will you be doing in the tunnel? That'll help narrow the answer down a bit.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

:D

JGarcia is right. Different flying requires different kinds of energy.

If one muscle group starts getting weary, switch off and do something else for a couple of rotations. You can definitely stretch out your endurance that way. (Sit-flying arm exhaustion comes to mind. You'll know when it's time to switch to belly.)

You might see if you can take a water bottle in with you, too. Staying hydrated helps.
TPM Sister #102

All I have to say is when people tell you that 20 minutes in the tunnel over 2 days is plenty for your first time in the tunnel and that anymore than that and you'll be too sore...tell them to go to hell.

I was at the Denver tunnel with Todd (L.O.) and Bill (rehmwa) this weekend. Going off of advice I only got 20 minutes. I wasn't sore AT ALL and kicked my self for listening to those people. I wish I would have gotten 30 minutes each day. It seemed like I would just start making progress and my time was over.

The 11 year old kept asking if mommy was going to drink all her margaritas, because if not, she'd take it......:P

now that's a future skydiver :D

now that's a funny revision to my original comment

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

All I have to say is when people tell you that 20 minutes in the tunnel over 2 days is plenty for your first time in the tunnel and that anymore than that and you'll be too sore...tell them to go to hell.

You and Todd just about lucked into a few extra minutes. If only Steve and Paula showed up 5 minutes later........

next time you know - (and even the 20 minutes you got will serve you well this year. Trust me, you'll see it next time you exit)

It depends on what type of flying you'll be doing in the tunnel. If you're going to be belly flying, a bit of stretching will suffice , and eating the fatty food with lack of excercise, as the last poster suggested, will be fine..

I was mocking my latest experience :P. Even belly, I hydrate, stretch, and do a lot of core work and tricep work to get ready. I know only a couple jumpers that do as much time as me and my teammates would do in our yearly camp.

That said - if you are freeflying, there is a lot more energy to deal with due to the higher speeds. Though, it pushes on different muscle sets. It has to be more effort.

It also depends on what you are used to. If you are good at ff or belly in the tunnel, you are likely more relaxed than someone just trying to learn for the first time (and gets exhausted in the first 10 of 15 minutes) Best to be fit for tunnel flying of all kinds.

I'd think sit might be the most taxing.

I'm guessing back flying is likely the most relaxed and least taxing position.

One thing also to think about is when you come to CO the elevation is over 5000 ft. Good cardio fitness before getting here will go a long ways toward off setting the lower energy levels experienced by a lot of people. As everyone else said hydrate hydrate hydrate, it is dryer here especially in the winter than even Eloy.
Fly it like you stole it!

I'm guessing back flying is likely the most relaxed and least taxing position.

Compared to belly, too? Belly is much less work than back flying.

I don't agree. no biggee

Not much advice to give you, I just did an hour in the tunnel last weekend - it kicked my ass!!!

I was sit/back & a bit of HD flying - everything is sore even my ankle muscles. I can barely reach around to my back my pecks are so tight.

but it was great & I learned a ton!!

I have never back flown - now I can move up, down, turn, sideslide and dock. But I've never been more aware of my neck muscles :)

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I try to stick to a strick regimen of drinking beer and masturbation

lol..lol.. well said... but you must remember to change hands every now and then,
or one arm gets bigger than the other and you just go round in circles..

:$

How ever you do get what i call tunnel fit.
even the unfittest people stop hurting when they do enough time...

B| let the walls come B|