Jewels

Tipping Your Tunnel Instructor

Okay, I have never once found a handy pocket chart for tipping guidelines that tells you how much to tip your tunnel instructors. What's reasonable to tip for a regular session (no coached time)? What about tipping on league night? Does it make a difference to you as to what you ask to work on?

I want to treat our guys (and STEPH!!) well, but would love to hear what other people (and especially the instructors) out there consider to be reasonable. I spend a lot of time at the tunnel and want to be generous to everyone but it does start to add up when you're spending between $125 and $150 per session BEFORE the tip. On the other hand, I want our instructors to be glad to take league instead of feeling like that's lost time on the schedule to them. So, what's YOUR range?

(I did a search and just found discussions about tipping in general and tipping at the dz, but not at the tunnel. If someone knows of an existing thread on this, please feel free to point me in the right direction.)
TPM Sister #102

As a former instructor I appreciated tips from wuffos, and usually accepted them, but have refused tips from skydivers and regular tunnel flyers as they are now part of the "family".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

LOL! Is there a secret handshake?

Thanks, JP. I have definitely had instructors attempt to refuse tips before but they work hard as some of us (eh-hem) are slower learners than others. I can't make anybody rich but I at least want them to feel like their time is worth it.
TPM Sister #102

I know you're appreciative of whatever the tip is. I'm not trying to put anyone on the spot and make them tell me how much to pay out--I just was wondering about what a good range is. It's not uncommon that we pool our resources when we fly and so it doesn't necessarily indicate who is giving money and who isn't, and that doesn't help clarify.

I realized after I said that I'd particularly like to hear from the instructors that I put them in a tough spot. So if there are other flyers out there who are tipping, what do you think? I'll go first. If I fly 10 minutes, I usually give $20 as a tip. Am I somewhere within a reasonable going rate? What do you do?
TPM Sister #102

As a former instructor I appreciated tips from wuffos, and usually accepted them, but have refused tips from skydivers and regular tunnel flyers as they are now part of the "family".

that's very nice of you!
eventhough I think it's a way to let you, instructors, know that we appreciated your time teaching us better body positions that will be a plus on our dives.

but at least a BEER you gotta have with me ;)

btw, any of you here coach at Skyventure in Orlando?
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

We don't take tips here at Bodyflight Bedford but if you want to give us beer then i guess i'm okay with that;)

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

ROFL! ;)

But that's sort of the whole point, right? It's hard to know . . . can of worms. And nobody else will even jump in with real numbers. *Sigh.* So my poor instructors are going to continue to get what they get unless somebody charges in to help them out here. (While I'm afraid that, secretly, tunnel rats around the world are pointing at me and mouthing "CHEAP!") [:/]
TPM Sister #102

We don't take tips here at Bodyflight Bedford but if you want to give us beer then i guess i'm okay with that;)

Nigel

I think I should just look into one of those places that will make weekly deliveries. That would be easier.
TPM Sister #102

Ok, this really is my last post in this thread. But I had a thought that might help you. The sign on the counter says, "Tips appreciated but not expected." Perhaps the instructors that disagree with that sentiment can remove the sign during their shifts. The others will appreciate any tip given but not expect it, so you'll know exactly which people to ask point blank about how much they are expecting to get tipped.

It's just a thought. It could work.:P

tips are appreciated, Julie. we don't have a chart either. whatever you feel like tipping, we're going to be ok with.
thanks

How about nothing you get 14$ per hour plus you day job it's friggen costly enough to flying the tunnel screw tipping you aswell
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

the time this particular thread was talking about is an adult league, where the tunnel gets paid for time, and we do coaching for our regular hourly rate of (insert hourly wage here, but around $14 is correct). When you feel like you've spent considerable amounts of time, energy, and certainly money, to acquire the knowledge base you have, you can feel free to spread that around free of charge. In the mean time, i think that it's ok for people to show their appreciation for the TOTALLY FREE COACHING they are receiving in the way of a tip. Our hourly wage is what we get paid to do our best to keep you from breaking your neck, at times a very challenging job.
my freefly coach charged $270 for a 15 minute block. his hourly rate worked out to be $480, since he got a discount for the tunnel time. we don't get paid quite that when we set up coaching, but it's a long way from $14.
if coaching seems too expensive for you, don't pay for it.

Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Stop, stop, stop! I did not ask because of any one specific situation and it's not my goal to set off the fireworks. I genuinely asked so I could get a feel for what the going rates are. I've never heard a rule of thumb and from what I can tell, tips are all over the board. I'm just trying to find the dollar amount that I can handle and that would be reasonable from the instructors' perspective. Let's just assume, for purposes of this thread, that I want to give a tip whether it's expected or not and I'm looking for the right number. No ulterior motives here, guys. Otherwise, I think I'd rather go back to arguing about what happens if the power fails.
TPM Sister #102

Does it count that I understand what you are saying. ;)

If someone goes above and beyond their actual job duties to ensure you have a good time or have a good experience you want to show your appreciation. We tipped Mike when we were in LV, because he went well above the call of duty to ensure we had a good time, I beleive we tipped $20 for 15 min of flight time (or was that spin and flop time, you still really need to see the video).
Fly it like you stole it!

if coaching seems too expensive for you, don't pay for it.

Exactly and if $14 per hour is insuficeint for you and what you think is required of you, find alternative employment. you coose to be there for the money offered
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

No one should choose an alternative employment. There is a big difference in pay as an instructor, pay for a coach, and tip for your instructor. You should tip your instructor, its a possitive way to say "I like what you did for us in that last session". Everyone says "thanks", but a tip says 'I want you to do more of that" Even if it is staying out of the way and not becoming a distraction. Tunnel instructors can try an take over the session, change the direction and screw up a good plan(maybe a plan to have fun).$10 or $20 bucks teaches the crew what you like. Sure you could tell them if your that type to talk it out, but a tip works for the non-talkers. Yet, if that tunnel instructor asks, then teaches you as much as a coach would and gets you over obsticles, then you should tip them like a coach. And for you non tippers, its okay to not tip, you just want to know (if you are local), if you dont take care of your bar tender then you just get the regular!! Dont take it to serious, everyone prefers a different size wave!

I'm guessing it's a cultural thing too. Over here, tips are not expected, and most you'll get is a beer. Coaches and windtunnel are expensive enough here too :S I guess it's easier to tip when you're paying half what we are [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

No one should choose an alternative employment. There is a big difference in pay as an instructor, pay for a coach, and tip for your instructor. You should tip your instructor, its a possitive way to say "I like what you did for us in that last session". Everyone says "thanks", but a tip says 'I want you to do more of that" Even if it is staying out of the way and not becoming a distraction. Tunnel instructors can try an take over the session, change the direction and screw up a good plan(maybe a plan to have fun).$10 or $20 bucks teaches the crew what you like. Sure you could tell them if your that type to talk it out, but a tip works for the non-talkers. Yet, if that tunnel instructor asks, then teaches you as much as a coach would and gets you over obsticles, then you should tip them like a coach. And for you non tippers, its okay to not tip, you just want to know (if you are local), if you dont take care of your bar tender then you just get the regular!! Dont take it to serious, everyone prefers a different size wave!

Bullshit, you are hired and paid to provide a service. if you are not happy with the money piss off and find more gainfull employment.
Tipping should only EVER be for something OUTSTANDING and above normal practice for the job discription. treating ANY customer less because they dont tip shows how porrly you are suited to the job.

As for the 10-20 buck teaches the crew what you like, do your friggin job properly and make certain the customer knows what they are paying for. that way the customer pays for what is offered and the staff gets paid for what they are hired to do.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

it must be nice to hide behind anonymity.

you certainly have a lot to say about this, considering you don't know the situation, don't know the people involved, and have not worked as a tunnel instructor.

Tipping should only EVER be for something OUTSTANDING and above normal practice for the job discription. treating ANY customer less because they dont tip shows how porrly you are suited to the job.***

what the original post was asking about was exactly that. coaching from the tunnel rat is something far above the normal job practice.

this was a question posed by one of the SVCO adult league customers, a sincere request to gain some information and perspective. most of the people who come to adult league are not skydivers, and don't have a background with how much coaching can cost. nothing in anyone's replies, except yours, involves swearing, denigrating anyone's job or how they do it, or insulting them personally. nice job, turning the mood nasty. and proving, once again, no matter how simple you try to keep it, someone on dz.com is going to job it up.

Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Bullshit, you are hired and paid to provide a service. if you are not happy with the money piss off and find more gainfull employment.
Tipping should only EVER be for something OUTSTANDING and above normal practice for the job discription. treating ANY customer less because they dont tip shows how porrly you are suited to the job.

I agree with your general sentiment about tipping, but the culture in North America is different, and you're fighting a losing battle if you're going to try to change that. It's also worth noting that the instructor being referred to here is not being paid by the tunnel for training, but for safety - to stop you before you do anything stupid that might hurt yourself. In that regard, he/she is more like a lifeguard at a swimming pool. If the lifeguard also offered to teach you to swim, then that's above and beyond duty, and that's essentially what's being discussed here.

As for the 10-20 buck teaches the crew what you like, do your friggin job properly and make certain the customer knows what they are paying for. that way the customer pays for what is offered and the staff gets paid for what they are hired to do.

While there is value in tunnel training from the tunnel rat, if he/she expects to be paid for it, then he/she should say so up front, otherwise you're doing it out of the goodness of your heart as far as the customer knows. If the customer chooses to pay you anyway, then great. If not, then so be it.

It should still be perfectly acceptable for someone who wants to fly in the tunnel and do their own thing without coaching to be able to do so - assuming that they have some basic skill level to begin with.