kirkverner

ParacleteXP SkyVenture Update 2

first flight was made today! Tim (the owner) was first in, then Kirk, John, and myself. We only had a few minutes but we were glad it was cut short, it was 120 degrees in the chamber! The louvers will be working by friday to cool it down. Video posted in the morning!

Matt

I was a part of a small military group that was given a preview flight this afternoon. Although they have some work to do to finish the building and the parking lot, the operational part of the tunnel is complete and fully functional.

The tunnel is so quiet we thought it was shut down until we walked around the front side where the vents are. It is whisper quiet outside, and quiet enough in the "waiting room" or ante-chamber that you can have a conversation wearing ear plugs with raised voices.

We flew suits only, then with a military tunnel training rig that weighs about 50 pounds, then adding a 45 pound rear-mounted rucksack. With my "advanced physique", that adds up to about 370 lbs rigged weight. It was about 85 degrees outside, with humidity unusually low - about 55%. Temperature inside the flight chamber was about 80 degrees. At 370 lbs I flew at about 140 mph, which was 75% power or so. I was able to pop up above the windows, sinking down to level flight at the top third of the windows.

Wearing an RW suit with booties, with the speed at 140 mph, I was able to pop up to about 20 feet and stay there. We ran two lanes to test the ability to train two flyers in the chamber at one time, which worked very well. We ended by doing 7-way RW with wrist grips and there was PLENTY of room. The flight chamber is HUGE.

I have no personal connection whatsoever with the ParacleteXP tunnel, so you can consider my opinion as an objective one . . . there have been a lot of sticker shock conversations because of the advertised hourly rate; all I could think while I was flying today is that you get what you pay for.

We ended the whole day with cockatillios and monkey fries (giving proper credit to Chuck Blue) at Aviator's. Big thanks to Tim, Kirk, John, and Matt for the hospitality.
Arrive Safely

John

You all have Will Pesek as an instructor. Camerman for Airspeed at this years Nationals and one of the coolest most down to earth people I met in Eloy. Next to Kurt Verner.

B|

That Kurt guy is poaching all the instructors from the Eloy tunnel! :ph34r:
Remster

That Kurt guy is poaching all the instructors from the Eloy tunnel! :ph34r:

I think that's b/c he got used to the heat and now he just wants his friends around him,...to warm up NC a little bit :P
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

Im working at Bodyflight Bedford in the UK, hope to get over and fly with you guys at the end of the year or early into next year.
Will be great to see yr instructors with a smile as big as ours, after all working in a 16 n a half foot tunnel is hard work you know,.... and i wont have anybody tell me otherwise, we have no fun AT ALL lol...

would normally sign off with Blue Skies......

but now i'm not really that fussed what the weather is like outdoors as long as its really windy indoors...

Dave D bodyflight.co.uk