caribadive

Building a Tunnel

From what I'm told, you're looking at 7.5 million for a recirculating SV tunnel. I'm guessing that the 5 million if more like what you'd pay for an open-ended one like Orlanda or Arizona.

If you're thinking of trying to do this, you probably want to figure in some operating capital to get you through the first year, also.

Alpha Mechanical in Dayton Ohio made the L-1 (AAC) in Waynesville NC. Less expensive I do believe and every bit as good as any other design, maybe even better, as it doesn't need a sealed chamber to fly in.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

From my understanding, the L-1 design can accomodate either indoor or outdoor flight chamber construction. Outdoor is cheaper for sure, but in terms of learning potential - especially for new tunnel flyers - I think outdoor is much more difficult. When you're learning and screw up in an outdoor tunnel, you tend to fall off the side and have to start again. When there's a wall keeping you there, you can keep flying and take a few seconds to figure out how to stop doing what you're doing.

I'm curious to try the L-1 tunnel, though. I've flown Aerodium in Latvia, and while that was cool, the airflow was not as smooth as Bedford or SkyVenture AZ. I'd like to know whether L-1's design does a better job of smoothing out the turbulence from the prop - not that Aerodium does a bad job of it. :)
Edited to add: I also recall seeing somewhere that a typical L-1 construction will cost somewhere between 4 and 5 million.

The out door was built for pure tunnel rats, but is still viable for skydivers.

The L-1 has the ability to drop a tube in place and then you have the walls for the vertical reference.

I think the cost is lower but am not positive. I also believe that there will be indoor L-1's in the future.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Outdoor is cheaper for sure, but in terms of learning potential - especially for new tunnel flyers - I think outdoor is much more difficult. When you're learning and screw up in an outdoor tunnel, you tend to fall off the side and have to start again. When there's a wall keeping you there, you can keep flying and take a few seconds to figure out how to stop doing what you're doing.

My total tunnel time to date has been 30 minutes in L-1/AAC and 30 minutes at SV Arizona, in that order. I am by no means a tunnel expert but I would tend to agree with the above. I do think, though, that once you're reasonably good at moving horizontally and stopping - so you don't fly out of the air column - the L-1 design is a lot better, just because it's _outside_. If you're flying, the scenery is better, and if you're watching, it's both easier to see and more impressive. If somebody is showing off their mad tunnel skillz in SVAZ by flying up and licking the fans, the watchers have to stoop down and look way up through the glass, past the glare of the lights, to see them. At L-1 you can either look up, if you're on the "deck", or look straight across, if you're sitting in the bleachers on the roof.

From a construction point of view, I suspect that an L-1 might be slightly easier to build. The motor and fan are underground; your structure doesn't have to support four 300+ hp motors on the second or third floor.

Right now, though, SkyVenture does seem to be ahead of L-1; there's something like half a dozen SV tunnels operating, compared to one L-1.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other considerations from any of the companies mentioned.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Edited to add: I also recall seeing somewhere that a typical L-1 construction will cost somewhere between 4 and 5 million.

an excerpt from L-1 sales materials in regards to cost:

L-1 Cost Analysis

Site License $1,000,000 paid directly to VWTC at time of agreement

- grants you permission to build & operate a VWTC L1. You are provided access to all necessary blueprints & technical papers required to construct the tunnel. Our Lead Engineer will oversee and assist with the construction of your facility and is available to you to make the necessary modifications that will make your facility a unique part of your corporate identity.

Construction & Labor $1.5 - $3,000,000+ paid directly to your own suppliers, contractors, engineers & crew throughout construction

- these amounts are paid to your own crew of contractors. This is an ideal way for you to control costs & truly create a unique facility catered to your own needs. It is estimated at this time that duplication of our current prototype in a similar location, would cost approximately $2 million dollars; there are more than a variety of ways where you can save money or even accumulate more costs through modifications made to the original unit. Additionally it is vital to note that materials such as steel & concrete vary in price frequently reflecting the condition of the economy and/or the geographic location of the construction project.

I'd like to know whether L-1's design does a better job of smoothing out the turbulence from the prop - not that Aerodium does a bad job of it.

An L-1 VWT does not use a prop. It is powered by a single fan. The fan itself is located about 70 feet away from the vertical section aka. flight area in the HORIZONTAL section of the tunnel. In other words, yes, they have done a better job than aerodium:P

O.K. Now we are talking! I haven't got my investors signed up yet but what are the fuel requirements? I know we are talking some pretty broad estimates but generally how much fuel per hour? Where would we have to go to see one in operation? I know I could email these questions but I think people who read this forum would be interested in this discussion. I would guess by the lack of operational portables still around that it is (was?) a pretty tough business to keep profitable so love of the sport and the desire to help it grow would have to be the driving force. But we would have to at least break even and pay staff more than just tunnel time. I talked to a friend who got to fly at the Fort Bragg tunnel and he called it the closest to heaven he has ever been. There are a lot of people who want that feeling.
Thanks
Wid

Since you are talking about a portable, I think this information here would apply. Although I reference a particular model for some of it, most of it is general operating information
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1654193#1654193

here is another applicable post
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2010773#2010773

I think this is another great discussion on the "state of the industry"
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1975608#1975608

It's definitely a love for the sport and teaching people to fly that keep you in and motivated.
:)

Dont quote me on this but my research also indicates that you would have pay a fixed fee to Skyventure based on the demographics of the region in which you setup the tunnel. This is their "technology licensing" cost which will assure them annuity revenue - so you would have to budget for

1. Land
2. Infrastructure
3. Staff
4. Marketing
5. Capital for 5 years (atleast - thats what it will take to break even)

If you want to build a successful tunnel your best bet is to set aside 10+ million hands down, excluding prime location cost, sites are being bought like 4+ yrs ago... or partner up and share the costs. If you really are gonna do it, you'll find the right people. right in front of you bro.

"'Someday is not a day in my week'"