Hooknswoop

What do you look for in a tunnel?

Other things to do in the area. I will travel to a tunnel knowing that I can knock out some jumps at a local DZ also to work on exits and things like that. I also want to be able to entertain myself outside a DZ. Orlando is great for this... Perris is lacking the nearby attractions and Eloy has tumbleweeds to watch if I want to go into town.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I went to Las Vegas for my first three hours because it was the easiest one to get to.

I went to Orlando the next five hours because flyangel2 hooked me up with a great coach and a good deal on block time.

Now I just go to the one that's 15 miles away, because it's the easiest to get to. Oh, and I have a great coach there, too ;)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Location is most important with other activities to do nearby. I don't care how nice or fast the tunnel is. If it's in the middle of no where I have little desire to go there. For example, I live in Massachusetts, about an hour from the tunnel in NH. The tunnel facility is very nice and probably one of the fastest in the world but I choose to take a vacation to Orlando to buy a lot of time because of the way they treat me as a customer. It doesn't matter that it's slower or an older design. It's the way I feel while I'm there and I have no problem giving them my hard earned money because they make me feel good about doing it. In my book, from a customer's perspective, it doesn't get any better than Orlando for an all around great time.

I look at the tunnel as a tool to get better at skydiving. So I don't want distractions while there (we usually plan a 2 or 3 day event). But like phreezone said it is nice to be able to go from the tunnel to the air in the same say or next day.

To make it work for me the Instructional staff needs to be able to assist me in my goals and not let me get away with "the customer is right" BS if I don't listen and try to improve.

If I go to a tunnel as a fun family outing or some venture like that (no pun intended), then the out side distractions are ideal for the rest of the outing.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Location is a big factor. I go to SVCO because there aren't any others that I can get to at least once a week, so on a regular basis, there is no choice to make. BUT, if I had another tunnel to choose from in the area, it would be about price and instructors first, and other factors (e.g., size) later.

On the other hand, I'm going to Eloy this month primarily because of Paige and the TPM, but also because of the DZ. Not long ago, I was looking for tunnel camps because I wanted to go somewhere with something different to do. It's good to have some variety.

Oh, and I look for a tunnel where I won't die if the power is suddenly and inexplicably cut off. ;)
TPM Sister #102

Seems like most of the replies include 'Staff' as part of what they look for in a tunnel. If you were planning a tunnel trip, would you go to www.tunnelflight.com and look at what the tunnel offers for Instructors? Do you talk to other tunnel flyers to get their opinion of a tunnel's staff? Do you call the tunnel and ask about the staff?

In short, where I am going with this, what can a tunnel do, within their control, to attract your business?

Derek

If you were planning a tunnel trip, would you go to www.tunnelflight.com and look at what the tunnel offers for Instructors? Do you talk to other tunnel flyers to get their opinion of a tunnel's staff? Do you call the tunnel and ask about the staff?

I did look at various websites but that's just marketing. Instead, I asked about upcoming opportunities in this forum, and asked who and what was "worth it" to travel for. I figured this was about the best, most experienced cross-section of people to ask on the subject. I got answers from various tunnels around the globe even though it was an open-ended question for anyone. I really appreciate the instructors who weighed in to let me know what was going on and what they had to offer.

It might interest you to know that the one consistent answer I got was just to use the money on coached time with someone right here at home. What would get me to give my business to a tunnel? An (affordable) event, or something structured that makes it sound like there is a plan--the answer to "what next" in the tunnel--would do it. Coached time would be great, but I would mostly appreciate having some targeted direction. I have plenty to work on, but it needs to be mixed up a little and it would help if there was some variety to what I'm doing, but I don't exactly know how to create that variety for myself. Combine that with the "staff" answer, and that's where I fit in. (I'll shut up. You know more than enough about my opinions, anyway!)
TPM Sister #102

What makes you go to one tunnel over another? Location? Price? Staff? Type of tunnel? Other?

Most Certainly Other.

I want to fly in a tunnel where the air slows down slowly if the power grid fails.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

As far as staff I use the "word of mouth" and "from personal experince" methods.

If they are not RW jumpers, AFF-I or AFF CD's, I look for ones that are. But it is becuase I use the tunnel as a "tool" to improve in those areas.

The web page sighted hasn't caught on enough to aide me. I am a "flyer" on it with no "priviledges" even though I can perform all the moves (RW not head down).

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Maybe the question should be, what does the management of the tunnel look for in a customer?

I'd like to think that aside from luring in new customers, there's some consideration to keeping the loyal customers that have spent time and LOTS of money coming back again and again.

Customer service is important. Great coaches are important. But management conveying the message that the current RETURNING customer base is of the lowest priority can really dull the impulse to continue spending money there.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm..........." [:/]

Maybe the question should be, what does the management of the tunnel look for in a customer?

Tourists who pay top dollar for tunnel time. Tourists are where tunnels make their big $, not with most skydivers.

Tourist prices: $40+ for 2 minutes, $25+ for dvd's, not to mention shirts, patches, hats, stickers, etc.

Skydiver prices: $12 a minute and $5 dvd's. Maybe some gear sales here and there.

In Orlando, the focus has def. strayed away from skydivers to the tourists, to boost the bottom line. That's where our management is heading with things and who they are looking for, as are many tunnels. Good for bottom line, not so great for us buying block time as we've seen some big price increases with little improvements in the facility or experience[:/]
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I think you're right about the bottom line and first (and only) time flyers being the emphasis.

I wonder how many referrals they get because of the skydivers and other frequent flyers? I know that there are a minimum of 5 people who have gone to our tunnel because I've told them about it, and they've seen my videos. Those people will then share with others, and so on. I'm just one person. I wonder if our referrals and endorsements make a difference in the tunnel's bottom line?

Actually, more than 5 people. One bachelor party and one company party booked because of conversations with me about my tunnel flying. It's got to add up.

You wanna talk about catering to tourists? We had an hour booked at New Hampshire at 3pm and before our flight, a group of tourists showed up. They decided to take the tourists in during our time and bumped us back without even asking us. I guess our business wasn't as important so we won't be going back. Just hope they don't do this to you!!!

Sometimes it's not a matter of a tunnel bumping an individual group, but simply the whole schedule getting backed up a bit. Skyventure NH has made a commitment to make sure that folks that buy smaller blocks of time, (2,5, or 10 minutes) get to FLY that whole amount. So, they were losing time in the transitions and getting a bit behind schedule... but for a reason that was very honorable. They are now building in "catch up" time as they fill their schedules to keep things on schedule and STILL make sure that people get their money's worth. This a good thing that they should be applauded for.

They run a good buisness, care about skydivers, and have fantastic facilities. Leaving a DZ because manifest makes one mistake and you get bumped off one load would be a bit harsh of a reaction, this might not be so different...

You've got a great facility in your backyard, a fanastic rate if you buy their 5 hr. frequent flyer package, and kick ass instructors that are always friendly and ready to share their knowledge. By all means, if you like FL - go for it, they've got a great crew down there. But it may be worth it to give SVNH another chance.... I think the vast majority of skydivers, myself included, have been thrilled with their buisness practices and how we've been treated.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I wonder if our referrals and endorsements make a difference in the tunnel's bottom line?

Great question and I wish there was a way to measure all that so people who are really out there doing good could get rewarded or at least recognized. I know there are tons of flyers who don't book hours and hours each month but still consistantly refer people to the tunnel because they loved their experience.

I'm always promoting Orlando because I love going there and flying. I know they get TONS of referrals from me for students and tourists. I'm sure they add up but are probably not as strong at drawing in tourists as their other marketing campaigns.

We are in a high traffic area for tourists so they just come pouring in. I'm sure more walk in than I refer, so I can't imagine skydivers "tourist ticket" referals making a huge impact at Orlando.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Hmmm,.. that is really funny due to that never took place. Would you like to recall the day that you showed up 7 minutes before your flight time and we bent over backwards to get you in the tunnel instead of giving your time away to others. I am not going to continue to post on this subject again. I know that our customer service is very good. We do cater to skydivers and over 50 percent of our business is skydivers that love it here. So no matter what lies you try to make people believe it all comes down to the simple fact that everyone is happy here but you.
I think that you are just mad that you have been told that you are no longer allowed to come to SVNH. So,.. Florida should be the place that you like due to at this moment they still allow you to go there.
All of us at SVNH wish you the very best in the coming year.

Why don't you let everyone know why I'm not allowed back? I've only flown there twice. The first time we showed up 25 min before our flight time and your instructors definitely helped get our group in on time. But if we couldn't start on time who cares? It's not your loss. We're late, we lose time. But since it was such an inconvenience for you, I can understand why you're upset. I'm definitely not the only one who's unhappy. A lot of people are scared or intimidated and they want to keep it to themselves so they can keep getting a good deal and not piss anyone off. Now that I'm not allowed back, I have nothing to lose and can finally speak the truth. I guess you figure since you had a great month in December getting a lot of money for gift certificates and the holidays you can not allow certain people back. If you didn't like me, but I still spent money at your tunnel, who's fooling who? Just a bad decision to turn away any business especially in Nashua, NH. I'm welcome at every tunnel except yours. They will gladly accept my money and I will gladly give it to them. In time people will know the truth. You'll screw them over too and then we'll have something in common. Your staff is fantastic and I acknowledge that. They know the meaning of customer service. Unfortunately, you have no idea what that is and that's OK. Just let them deal with the customers and you can stay in the back counting the money. I also wish you the best for this new year. Let's hope you haven't already peaked yet.

I have to say that I also had a very disappointing experience at SVNH. Yes, location means a lot, I'd like to not have to travel to the middle of nowhere with little else to do but the tunnel; however, if the customer service is above average and I feel as though my business is important, then I'll still make the effort. Unfortunately SkyVenture New Hampshire didn't meet my expectations...and by expectations I mean that I'd like the owner to look me in the eye at the very least, and not appear to have had the WORST day in her LIFE to this point. People get cocky, they get arrogant, and they get lazy. You want repeat business? Then I suggest finding a way to hide the beast.

I know that there are a minimum of 5 people who have gone to our tunnel because I've told them about it, and they've seen my videos......
Actually, more than 5 people. One bachelor party and one company party booked because of conversations with me about my tunnel flying. It's got to add up.

I have to make fun of my own post. It comes off as "I've been responsible for five whole people going to SVCO." :D:D

Yep, Derek, guess I'll be gettin' some free tunnel time for all that business I've sent your way!!:D:D:D