GeGe

Indoor Skydive Roosendaal

Since December 23rd we have our own windtunnel here in The Netherlands: www.indoorskydive.com.

It's a closed circuit design with a diameter of 4.27 meters (14+ ft) and is big enough for a 4-way team. The airflow can be varied and it doesn't need to shutdown for entering or leaving the flight chamber.

On the 23rd there was a "skydivers only" day as a try-out and it was great! My team booked around 100 minutes and enjoyed it immensely. Clean strong air, solid walls, creeper area, bar+restaurant: it looks pretty complete to me!

Anyway, now that I have a tunnel almost next door (ok it's a 1 hour drive), I've got something new to do in winter time except from watching the clouds go by ;)

...strong air, solid walls, creeper area...

I heard a rumor one of the glass walls got broken already...is that true?

Apparently someone (not one of the locals) collided with a glass panel mounted above one of the doors (if my info is correct) in a headdown angled attitude. Judging from the resulting damage it would seem he was pretty much out of control and in a way lucky that the window absorbed that much energy.... B| Of course it's been repaired already.

Got another half hour of booty flying in today... Awesome!

The tunnel looks pretty cool, but can anyone tell me if its fast enough for genuine freefly?

Having looked at the video, the guys that clearly have experience look as though they are presenting an awful lot of surface area to the wind to maintain lift in freefly positions. How is it for serious head down and what about 4-way? Is it in the same 'power and speed' class as the likes of Colorado, New Hampshire, Airkix, Arizona etc?????

AFAIK the design is more similar to the Aerokart tunnel in Paris. Below the net is another "test section" with smaller diameter (for higher speeds) and separate entry/exit doors.
Besides that, the tunnel has only just started it's operation, and I haven't heard of ANY tunnel so far going to 100% right from start...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

The tunnel looks pretty cool, but can anyone tell me if its fast enough for genuine freefly?

Having looked at the video, the guys that clearly have experience look as though they are presenting an awful lot of surface area to the wind to maintain lift in freefly positions. How is it for serious head down and what about 4-way? Is it in the same 'power and speed' class as the likes of Colorado, New Hampshire, Airkix, Arizona etc?????

No idea about freefly (I'm a belly flyer), but 4-way is very comfortable as they can adjust the speed to the team's speed and they've got enough power to suit any team I would say. I haven't seen any headdown yet, but I'm not there on a daily basis :)
Sizewise it's bigger than Skyventure Orlando or Arizona, but smaller than Bedford. Compared to Paris it has no nets so a more effective diameter to work in (in Paris if you get too close to the nets you drop down on the padding at the sides of the tunnel).

Do these tunnels (or this one particularly) ever have sales? As in 30% last minute discount etc.

Or is the cost of operating it (electricity) too high to give out cheap minutes that are unspoken for?

Roosendaal opened just two weeks ago, so they're first trying to make money and fill the tunnel. They're not running up to capacity. So no sales or last minute discount, but you can get bulk discount.

I heard they were thinking about offering cheap rates when they've got a cancellation, but I guess that would only happen once they get a decent turn over. And this rate would only be for frequent flyers or something.

Amsterdam - Roosendaal is ca 1.5 hrs by car.

Prices:

Prijzen - Tarieven
2 minuten tunneltijd € 40,-

15 minuten tunneltijd € 300,-

30 minuten tunneltijd € 600,-

60 minuten tunneltijd € 1.150,-

Team Prijzen

1e, 2e en 3e uur (tarief per uur) € 1.150,-

4e, 5e en 6e uur (tarief per uur) € 1.100,-

7e, 8e en 9e uur (tarief per uur) € 1.050,-

+10 uur (neem contact op met hoofd tunnel marshall) *MAIL*

At the moment, EUR 1 = 1.24 USD. Basically it's EUR 20/ USD 25 per minute, cheaper than jumping here anyway.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The prob in Holland, Belgium,...it is very hard to get on jumping in the winter,..then it is quiet cool to know we can go to spend even a short time inthere just to get the week stress out...and have fun! And it is very near too!

But unfortunattly, for european tunnels, people who want to spend more than 30min, and have few days, it is woth to go to Usa where you get it for half price...
So, should european tunnel put they prices lower, or do they get enough people to fill the time schedules?

Airkix and Bodyflight don't seem to have any problem filling their tunnels at £600 per hour, with Bodyflight even getting teams over from America to train!

I also know of 4 way FS teams in the UK who are booking up to 16 hours of tunnel time in order to hone their skills for the upcoming season. They also intend going to the States for a skills camp with a coach but the bulk of their training will be done in the tunnel in the Uk and will be spread over the winter and spring.

Just a few thoughts on the cheaper than jumping thing.

Let's take the half an hour for 600€ deal, and assume that you get a minute out of a jump (yes...I know it's less etc.) 15€ a jump in Belgium, although that is most likely going to change because of a change in kerosine tax laws for non-profit oranisations thank you very much.

600/15 = 40 jump tickets as opposed to 30 minutes. Plus you don't get the views you usually get. So I'd have to conclude that tunneltime is mostly for relative teams who buy a lot of time at once. The average "up jumper", or whatever it's called in the us, will definitely get more out of a regular jump.

If you calculate it like that you are right but what if you have a bunch of friends (2,3 or 4) that have someone or a hired one ;) who is willing to coach them. These friends can share the price and save a few Dinero's ;) they can use when the weather is better in the Blackmountains.
Their skill level can increase a lot over winter with a minimum of (financial) input.

With 600 divided by 2 jumpers you already have a 20/30 minute balance instead of 40/30 minutes:)
You don't need a parachute to jump but YOU DO if want to do it again.

Just a few thoughts on the cheaper than jumping thing.

Let's take the half an hour for 600€ deal, and assume that you get a minute out of a jump (yes...I know it's less etc.) 15€ a jump in Belgium, ...

600/15 = 40 jump tickets as opposed to 30 minutes. Plus you don't get the views you usually get. So I'd have to conclude that tunneltime is mostly for relative teams who buy a lot of time at once. The average "up jumper", or whatever it's called in the us, will definitely get more out of a regular jump.

Don't forget the coach, so 1 jump with a coach = 2 X 15 € = 30 €

Power : 6000 Ampère

[geek]Er, that's actually just current. Power would be measured in watts. Not sure what voltage that is but if you assume 230 V you get 1.38 MW or about 1,840 hp (perfect motors, etc.) which is probably in the right ballpark.

I'd think that with motors that big you'd run them at 400 V, but that would give 2.4 MW or about 3200 hp, which I think is at least twice as much as most other tunnels and so is probably not the right number.[/geek]

It could be that the motors are actually running at 400 V (or more), but that the current has been calculated based on 230 V in order to make it sound more impressive easier for people to relate to.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Power : 6000 Ampère

[geek]Er, that's actually just current. Power would be measured in watts.

Yeah I know that :P But these are all the specs they give on the website.... Maybe I translated it wrong, they say its "Totaal vermogen" AFAIK that's total power.

ciel bleu,
Saskia