skyblu3

Huge Fan For Sale

I was approached by a company that have a huge fan (see pics) that they want to sell and I was wandering if this could be converted to be used as some type of wind tunnel. Obviously I am not thinking about skyventure type tunnel but more an outdoor setup.

If anyone is interested in buying this fan I'm sure you can pick it up cheap. Let me know.

Full load on the motor is under 12 amps. id say that thing would be lucky to blow you over much less support achive the speeds of freefall.

Some of the orginal outdoor tunnels were old DC-3 engines and props turned 90 degrees, or so ive been told.

That should give you and idea of the power required for simulated freefall. ;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

The first picture shows a rated motor power of 5.5 kw, which is about 7.3 horsepower (1 hp is about 0.75 kw). Some of the SkyVenture tunnels are running something like 1200 hp total. I have also heard of some older, smaller tunnels being run by DC-3 props and engines; Jane's says the DC-3 had engines of anywhere from 1000 to 1400 hp each. If they can cut you a deal on 100 or 150 fans just like that one, you'd be in business. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Some of the orginal outdoor tunnels were old DC-3 engines and props turned 90 degrees, or so ive been told.

Here are some pics taken this year of the VR Portable Unit.

Prop: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paigetpm/107283359/in/set-72057594074158736/

Engine, tunnel, exterior view:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paigetpm/107283357/in/set-72057594074158736/
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Turning the airflow 90 degrees prior to the test section is not only difficult but incredibly inefficient. Although it would be ideal I suppose to run a propeller in it's engineered orientation (vertical) they have always been mounted horizontally, since the first vertical wind tunnel. I'd be happy to provide an updated list of all the vertical wind tunnels known to date, there are about 75 of them I think at this point.

There is only 1 that accomplishes this 90 degree turn, and that is Appalachian Amusement Center in North Carolina, but there is no prop on that machine, only 1 large fan locaed FAR away from the test section.

There is a portable design in the works, course it's been in the works for years and has seen dozens of setbacks, but nonetheless, a portable that turns the airflow 180 degrees using a ducted fan, but until it's operational.. there is no way to know if they will actually accomplish this.

I have seen that unit at Rantoul in '03, I think. Or at least one similar.
there is also another one where the trailer appears more enclosed and instead of an inflateable "cage" it had plexi glass, similar to Skyventue, but used the same power unit/ prop idea to generate the air.

I remember listening to some older jumpers talk about the fist "wind tunnels". they didnt have the engine in a standard orientation, as Bodyflight may have thought I was saying. The literally took the engine/prop combination turned the assembly 90 and did some welding. Viola, wind tunnel?

but then again, on a standard aircraft engine, this would mean the air would have to flow around the engine creating one hell of a burble.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I did misunderstand your thoughts ;) and there was a unit or two I think where the prop & motor was mounted in that orientation.. wow! But they didn't really work very well, which is why the gear box was introduced.

The tunnel Paige has pics of made its first Rantoul appearance THIS year in fact.. it was short lived but it did make it :)
In '02 (under the name of Xtreme Air) and '03 we had Lifted Entertainment onsite at the covention, and it is very similar but much much better. Unfortunately it didn't work for very long and so spent much of it's time parked outside the compound :( This tunnel spent a couple of years in Hawaii after this and is now back in the states for sale.

The other that you mentioned with the Plexiglass walls is/was Adren-L-N manufactured by Jus' Fly Inc! Adren-L-N was at Rantoul in 2004 in fact.

I just love how far we've come since 1964!!!!! ... it's what makes my world go 'round :)