Jewels

There Must be a Thread

I'm looking for a thread on fall rate information and have found lots of references to "fall rate"--but they are all about true fall rates when skydiving. My question is about the tunnel and wind speed. My wind speed in the tunnel is now just up to 60% and I'm wondering what my goal should be so that I can start flying with others who don't necessarily have the same fall rate I do--i.e., I need to learn to keep up with the men! What's a good, versatile wind speed? (Okay, I'm hoping that there IS such a thing.) If there's a thread on this that I just haven't found, please feel free to point me in the right direction! Thanks.
TPM Sister #102

I weight in more then you do, and find that I ALWAYS have to wear a weight belt when flying in the tunnel with the guys.

Talk to Derek about him making you one.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Most of the 4-way RW fly at about 70% at SVCO. A tight, custom-fitted RW suit will make a huge difference. Depending on your body weight, height, width, density, etc, you may also need a weight belt in order to put you flying comfortably at 70%. I do make them, but I am swamped right now. I have about 14+ to make in the next few weeks. To fly with others in the tunnel's baggy suits, it depends on the other flyers. If they are also in the tunnel's suits and similar size, 60-67% is a good range. I struggle a bit when it is down that low (60%) on my belly.

Derek

At least I'm getting there!! 70% is attainable, or should be, with practice. It's not that I'm 4'6" and weigh 50 pounds; it's just that I have to get stronger or arch more or both or something else. It kills me that you struggle at 60% and I'm working to get beyond it. *Sigh.* Whatever happened to instant gratification, huh?!
TPM Sister #102

At least I'm getting there!! 70% is attainable, or should be, with practice. It's not that I'm 4'6" and weigh 50 pounds; it's just that I have to get stronger or arch more or both or something else. It kills me that you struggle at 60% and I'm working to get beyond it.

It isn't ability, just body-type. You don't want to be hper-arched to fall faster, you won't be able to move. Rely on the tools available to adjust your fall rate range, i.e. weight belts and jump suits.

Derek

If it's any consolation, I've never worn weights while jumping, but I sometimes have to wear them in the tunnel. If I'm in there with big guys or doing a bunch of time, weights are a god-send.

I had 12-14 pounds of lead on during 2 weekend trips to colorado earlier this year (probably did about 2 and a half hours of flying). If I was just doing a 15 minute session, I could have done without them, but for longer/multiple sessions during a camp, I find weights very helpful.

I've heard people say you should only wear weights in the tunnel if you wear them while jumping (and the same amt too) buuut...for long sessions I can't see myself lasting without any weights, unless I'm with a bunch of other floaty people. And usually a coach wants you down low-ish so they can see your body position better and communicate with you better.

(edited to omit possibly offensive phrase, lol)

I wouldn't worry to much if I were you, as you learn more the easier it will be to fly at different speeds, but definately don't hyper arch.

In the baggy suits,
Belly fly at about 63% but I can go from 60-65% easy,
Transitions and back flying is at 65-66%.
Sit fly is at 74-75%, 70% seems to be my min of course as I get better I'll be able to go slower easier.

RW suit 72% without lead and well you know I really don't know what I fly with lead because I've never needed to, but I know at 72% I can't stay off the net very well ask Mary. :P

Look me up sometime I'm there a lot of evenings, I'm Derek's better half.:D
Fly it like you stole it!

No kidding?! That's great! I will definitely keep my eyes open for you to say hello. I'm always there for adult league on Tuesdays, so if you're around, come say hi!

Tonight was a big night. FINALLY did a decent back fly and then Brad started teaching me to transition from belly to back and back to belly in my last two minute rotation, which was a TOTAL kick. Now I can't wait to get back in the tunnel to work on that some more. It's so amazingly fun and I never get tired of it. I didn't ask what % we were at tonight, but the wind speed was definitely up but for some reason I didn't have to fight it as much.

I think the difference was that I had a good day at work and I came in more relaxed than usual. Just goes to show how influential your mind-set can be! Now, if only I can learn to control it. End result: I agreed to go do my first tandem on Saturday morning!!
TPM Sister #102

I've never thought about weights in the tunnel vs. weights in the air as an issue. I assumed it would be the same difference! Good to know that there are other considerations as well. I think that it would be exhausting to do a long session without weights if you were flying with bigger people. It can be hard work to counter all that wind, and two hours later would be tough!

Say hi the next time you're in Colorado!!
TPM Sister #102

Forgot to add that I think my 20 pound rig has something to do with the difference.

Have you seen anyone at CO with a tunnel rig?

I'd like to try it one day.

edit: Just saw your note that you're doing a tandem soon, congrats, I thought you were already a jumper. :)

Don't worry about percentages, just fly!

Your coaches will do the rest and get you flying with others in no time. Address these concerns and questions to your coach. They are helping you through your progression and have more valid/constructive comments than anyone on here who has never or barely seen you fly.

Esp. Brad cause he kicks ass and I'm sure would jump on the chance to answer these ?'s and work with you. Please tell Brad I said hello and send my love. Give him a BIG hug for me too! :)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Haven't seen a tunnel rig yet, although you'd think I would have, given the number of "real" skydivers who are in the tunnel on a regular basis! I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Not a jumper yet. Hopefully, that will all be different by Saturday! The tunnel is creating another convert.
TPM Sister #102

Brad is GREAT. I like all of our instructors, but Brad has been especially good. We all respond to some people better than others (just as a matter of fact, not because anyone is a "bad" instructor), and he's one of the ones I get better results with. Gotta like that!
TPM Sister #102

Brad is GREAT. I like all of our instructors, but Brad has been especially good. We all respond to some people better than others (just as a matter of fact, not because anyone is a "bad" instructor), and he's one of the ones I get better results with. Gotta like that!

That's the best part of these forums. We can openly share good and negative experiences about coaches (well, let me rephrase that, you can share negative ones but you'll probably be belittled. I took a big hit so others who learn like me can benefit.). This way, people who learn like you, or me, or anyone else, can match their flying and learning style to the coach that best fits their needs.

You need both good and negative feedback I think when selecting a coach. Negative feedback doesn't mean they aren't a good coach, it means you work better with someone else, for some other reason.

Brad was so much fun to fly w. in Vegas. I bet he's amazing in the SV environment!
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

i think you two are talking about 2 different Brad's. But having flown with them both, I think they are both top-notch.

Derek

Brad that used to work in Perris is who I'm speak of. Maybe I'm wrong, that happens frequently :D:D

I met him at an event I put on at Flyaway LV back in Feb. Great guy.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

OK, now there's 3 Brad's:o. Theere is 1 Brad at LV and 2 at SVCO, Brad C and Brad H. Brad H is from Perris. All 3 are top-notch.

I absolutely agree that sometimes people 'mesh' with some Instructors better than otheers. Doesn't mean that one is better than the other, just different.

Derek

OK, now there's 3 Brad's:o. Theere is 1 Brad at LV and 2 at SVCO, Brad C and Brad H. Brad H is from Perris. All 3 are top-notch.

I absolutely agree that sometimes people 'mesh' with some Instructors better than otheers. Doesn't mean that one is better than the other, just different.

Derek

OMG, in addition to all the Keith's, we now have a plague of Brad's. It's great for the sport, just bad for my brain keeping everyone straight :D

For me, different is good when it comes to coaching. I need different to get me out of my training box and to innovate moves.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I've been talking specifically about Brad C., but actually, Brad H. is great, too. Now I have to go to Vegas!!

I've been lucky. There has only been one instructor that I just don't mesh with in the tunnel as well as others, and that's NOT even Derek. :)
TPM Sister #102