stillalive

Wind Tunnel in Texas ?

"nyaa nyaa nyaa nyaa nya, my tunnel is better than your tunnel nyaa nyaa nyaa nyaa nya"

Is there any chance we can leave these kinds of post to the (you know who you've been)?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well perhaps the information is important to the people that _haven't_ flown in all the various tunnels... ya think? If you aren't interested, don't participate in the discussion.

A discussion forum without people _discussing_ things is pretty worthless. :S
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

found "Adrena-L in" in houston, but their web page is very unclear... (?)

That is a traveling wind tunnel on the back of a truck, and is not up to the standards of the fixed tunnels for serious skydiving training. It's fun to play in, though. It changes locations every now and then. You would probably have to call them to find out where they are now operating.

If you don't mind the dirt, heat, and static shocks lol...

SVCO is a better "summer tunnel" and it's cheaper and faster too.

To you SVCO is a better "summer" tunnel and it's great that we have a forum where everyone can express their opinions :)
In the summer I'd rather have the natural light and not a recirculator (Lack of natural light doesn't make for good photos, nor does SVO- ugh it looks like it's 6 ft underground :S).

I'm just glad we all have choices now, regardless of tunnel location. EVERY tunnel has positives and negatives. Without the negatives we'd never improve on the product. Just like without Flyaway's there would be no SV.

I'm excited to see how NH will improve on CO- I get to visit in August after they open.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Talked to one of the Adrenalin partners the other day.
The engine blew a while back and the tunnel has just been sitting.
At the moment they are in the process of shipping it to the new prospective owners in Hawaii.

there is zerogroom.com. it's supposed to be built near the space center area- south of downtown houston. thier site used to say coming spring of 06'. now it just says coming soon.

being a delivery driver i occasionally pass by where it's to be built. as of last week the space it's supposed to go is still an empty field.

i've got aways to go before i get my A, but hopefully they'll be open by the time i start learning to freefly.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

there is zerogroom.com. it's supposed to be built near the space center area- south of downtown houston. thier site used to say coming spring of 06'. now it just says coming soon.

They've been talking about that for atleast 2 years.

Same with another tunnel in the H-town area (a L-1 tunnel), lots of talk no results.

Basically it comes down to some folks trying to get funding together, but before they have even 1/8th of the funding together they've announced the project to the skydiving community as a fact. Not announced as a business opportunity, but as a fact.

Strangely enough there used to be a push tunnel in College Station. The location is still there and the last time I popped in back there they still had the pieces back there. Too bad it was expensive, the college students fickle and the city anti-noise.

If someone was smart they'd build a tunnel in Arlington right off of 360 and I-30 or 180. The words "cash cow" comes to mind with that thought.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Right next to Six Flags?

Yup and Wet-n-Wild (or whatever its called now days) and the BallPark and where their building the new Cowboy's stadium and next to the convention center and a large number of the motels in the area and close enough to the airport it won't cost you the same as a downpayment on a new car for cab fare.

Like I said, if someone was smart...(or if I had that kind of money or friends with money)

If someone was smart they'd build a tunnel in Arlington right off of 360 and I-30 or 180. The words "cash cow" comes to mind with that thought.

That's probably easier said than done. I foresee some serious real estate hurdles to putting in a wind tunnel. Unless you're doing a recirculating tunnel, there are the obvious noise ordinance issues. Beyond that, I'm guessing that a lot of these groups trying to raise the capital to build wind tunnels will have trouble getting ground leases because the wind tunnel franchise business model doesn't have a long enough track record of success. Most land owners are going to be skeptical of the idea of indoor skydiving, to say the least, and they probably aren't going to be terribly thrilled at the prospect of having a building on their property that can't be utilized for any other purpose if the business owners default on the lease. If you do a ground lease for a restaurant and the business owners default, you simply lease the building to another restaurant. If you do a ground lease for a wind tunnel and the business owners default, you have to find somebody willing to tear down the wind tunnel in exchange for the leftover parts and scrap metal. What this means to the prospective wind tunnel owners is that they're probably going to have to purchase their land, and not only is that a significant up-front cost; it also limits the number of locations available to them. A significant increase in up-front costs means an increase in the amount of the initial loan, which means higher loan payments, which means they have to charge higher prices for tunnel time, in order to compensate for their higher overall operating costs, which means they get fewer customers. Supply and demand is kicking their asses before they're even open for business.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

That's probably easier said than done

All it takes is money.

I have the want, the need and the dream. Just no $$ and no desire to go bust my ass to raise the serious $$ it would take.

there are the obvious noise ordinance issues.

Haven't spent much time around that area have you? There's this little thing called the DFW Airport that has an assload of flights flying over this area (its in the landing pattern for a couple of the runways) every few minutes of every hour of every day. Honestly, I don't think a lot of people would seriously notice the noise of the tunnel. Especially if its built in the right spot that its over on the Six Flags/Ball Park side of the highways.

That's probably easier said than done

All it takes is money.

I have the want, the need and the dream. Just no $$ and no desire to go bust my ass to raise the serious $$ it would take.

there are the obvious noise ordinance issues.

Haven't spent much time around that area have you? There's this little thing called the DFW Airport that has an assload of flights flying over this area (its in the landing pattern for a couple of the runways) every few minutes of every hour of every day. Honestly, I don't think a lot of people would seriously notice the noise of the tunnel. Especially if its built in the right spot that its over on the Six Flags/Ball Park side of the highways.

If I recall correctly, that whole area is pretty industrial, except for the entertainment venues, so noise ordinances probably wouldn't be an issue there. I was speaking in generalities about the problems these prospective entrepreneurs face.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.