airdvr

Which is more likely to save your life?

I can think of at least 3 that an AAD did save their life and one for sure that an rsl did. One of the AAD saves an rsl would have done the trick.
I can also think of 3 fatalities that an AAD would have saved them but an rsl would not.
Also 3 that an rsl may have saved but an AAD not.
The largest number is by far the number of fatalities I can recall that either one would have done the trick.

:D

Also managed to successfully pull silver myself twice, where a RSL would have done nothing, so under the same circumstances, I'd be very likely to do it again.

Okay, Pops and I want to know, what were these circumstances?

Was it just a total malfunction or something crazy?

I've jumped with and without AAD's, with and without RSL's. I prefer to have both. :)

I guess I can answer for Daan as I saw it happen both times - don't do hop and pops with me in the plane on a day with pretty shitty weather, it's bad luck. The first was a pilotchute in tow, the pilotchute was fully cocked and standing like a drogue but the main was simply too big for the container (but it did leave after the reserve deployed). The second one was a hard pull due to the BOC-pocket being worn out. These two were both within the first month of him owning that rig by the way. The rigger who sold him the rig assured him the big main (which was a rental from him) was fine in that rig, and after he hard pull he mentioned 'well yeah, that BOC should've been replaced long ago'.

ETA: Both jumps were from around 3500 to 4000 ft, and both jumps he was under a nice and blue reserve above 2000 ft.

Correct, was in the saddle well above said 2000 ft.
2 Reserve rides in 2 weeks...

Moral of the story: Don't do hop&pops with Yvonne in the same load, that girl brings bad luck (and yet I still do):P

So no, there weren't bridles wrapped around my neck, nor were there d-bags bouncing around:ph34r:

Thanks to you both for the clarification. Yes, sometimes you just have to pull the reserve. I've had a couple of totals myself. :)
It looks like RSL's and AAD's save quite a few lives. A few unfortunate swoopers have been killed by AAD's firing at the worst possible moment, but for the average jumper, I think BOTH are good ideas.

I agree with Twardowski....the cameras have got smaller, but the chutes ( In my opinion ) have changed and not for the better. I prefer the Para-Commander and some of those slower forward speed canopies.

I think jumpers should be made to jump a few rounds and then they would know what jumping is about....

The Containers and harness have gone from good to terrible. The ripcord to the throw out pilot chute is really dumb.

The step in leg straps is the most stupid change, and certainly not for betterment in the sport. The quick ejector leg straps were much more convenient and easier to get into, and get out of once a person has landed.

However, as C has said, it must be frustrtaion with all this new stuff, and the constant bombarment of initials to make jumpers sound like they are talking in a hidden code.

I suggest that if this banter is done by students, they should seek out a good and competant instructor and get the lowdown on what all those initials mean.

However, as C has said, it must be frustration with all this new stuff, and the constant bombardment of initials to make jumpers sound like they are talking in a hidden code.

I suggest that if this banter is done by students, they should seek out a good and competent instructor and get the lowdown on what all those initials mean.

http://www.makeithappen.com/spsj/acron.htm

http://www.parametric.co.nz/skydive/skydivez.htm

;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

However, as C has said, it must be frustration with all this new stuff, and the constant bombardment of initials to make jumpers sound like they are talking in a hidden code.

I suggest that if this banter is done by students, they should seek out a good and competent instructor and get the lowdown on what all those initials mean.

http://www.makeithappen.com/spsj/acron.htm

http://www.parametric.co.nz/skydive/skydivez.htm

;)

I wish this web site/Forum had those little buttons somewhere so that we all could rate the usfullness/value/humor/etc,...

Cause that was a great contribution airtwardo:)

Thanks!!!
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

The first was a pilotchute in tow, the pilotchute was fully cocked and standing like a drogue but the main was simply too big for the container (but it did leave after the reserve deployed).

After 200 jumps, has anyone suggested to you to punch out the container with your elbows on a stuck bag like that?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Since I've been in the sport:

Number of people I know saved by their AAD: 1

Number of people potentially saved by having an RSL: 1

Number of people that would have lived, would still be to walk or walk unassisted, or would still be able to jump if they weren't trying to swoop: 6

That was an easy question. Answer has to be RSL. Everytime you deploy your main or your reserve you are doing something to save your life. RSL typically is engaged at altitudes higher than the AAD fires at. In fact, the RSL usually beats you to the punch when you grasp for the reserve handle after a cutaway.
So .. . . . . more people have been saved by an RSL than an AAD.

The first was a pilotchute in tow, the pilotchute was fully cocked and standing like a drogue but the main was simply too big for the container (but it did leave after the reserve deployed).

After 200 jumps, has anyone suggested to you to punch out the container with your elbows on a stuck bag like that?

Back before throw-outs, that was SOP for some guys after every pull. ;)

Back before throw-outs, that was SOP for some guys after every pull. ;)

Yup...pull the ripcord until the rubber bands stopped it's travel, hook left thumb under left MLW & push out to bring the container into your back...yet at a caddywhompus enough angle that ya could start banging on it with the right elbow.

Easy enough!

For the reserve there was a 'Jesus Cord' that went from the top flap of the reserve to a carabiner on the MLW.

...pull the reserve ripcord (yeah rubber-bands too) then start yankin' on the 'Last Hope Rope' until ya got 6 or 8 inches of slack.

THEN start jammin' BOTH elbows into the container.

Hot dog pilot chute just made mine jam up even more, went back to the MA1.
:)

You kids today with yer RSL's & yer autermatuck openers...:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~