teamtwot

signed off!

Hi Everyone

Doc just told me I can't jump with a rig for next 3 months due to a hernia caused by a spanker 9 months ago! Bitch is I have just payed for a boogie trip with friends in Seville, in 2 weeks, and cant change holidays! Therefore if anyone could recommend a good tunnel to visit (1st time) with krazy kats Si is most appreciative!

Cheers!
---

Define normal?!?

Well I haven't flown in either of them but after spending tons of time in SVCO, the sister tunnel of Airkix, I have to say that the new recirc Skyventure tunnels rock! They are smooth, powerful and comfortable. Sometimes a bigger tunnel just means you are going to build up more speed before you auger into a wall or it'll take that much longer for your spotter to get to you when you are about try some impromptu headdown into the grate. ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Sometimes a bigger tunnel just means you are going to build up more speed before you auger into a wall or it'll take that much longer for your spotter to get to you when you are about try some impromptu headdown into the grate

I would normally try and stay out of the pissing contest type posts... but I feel I have to correct you there.

We find quite the contrary - and having more space gives you the reaction time and ability to stop before hitting the wall. My biggest worry when opening here was that the space would cause this problem - but thankfully we have found it not to be the case by a long way.

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Hey,

We are currently in the middle of a camp in the Bodyflight tunnel in Bedford.
I have flown in the Orlando tunnel a few years ago, so I have a point of comparison.

If you are keen to do solo flying and 2 ways, any tunnel will do really.
If you are serious about 4 way or bigger, the Bodyflight tunnel is awesome.
We have been doing 4 ways very comfortably in the tunnel and there are no issues with regards to size/wind or smacking walls.

Enjoy!

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Well I haven't flown in either of them but after spending tons of time in SVCO, the sister tunnel of Airkix, I have to say that the new recirc Skyventure tunnels rock!

Well...Bedford is also a recirculator as well...but it's 16ft diameter. I really don't get the 'small is better' arguments...but then I suppose there are those who prefer Cessnas to Twin Otters too... :S

um dude, you can't correct "opinions" so get over yourself... I've _seen_ it happen in Eloy's ~14ft tunnel, hell I've even got video of it. If someone new suddenly punches out into a track, or kicks off a wall really hard they are going to beat the spotter to the other side, usually with ugly results. If you are out of control, it doesn't matter how much space you have to stop since you are _out of control_.

The point I was making is that the Airkix tunnel design is excellent and anyone would be happy with that one. A newbie working on basic belly skills doesn't need 16ft of tunnel and using the "bigger is better" philosophy in choosing a tunnel to fly in is lame because it simply isn't true. Maybe if you were doing 4-way but when working on stability drills, freeflying, transitions, etc that extra space is meaningless until you start adding more people.

I've flown in several tunnels and never felt constrained in the smaller ones. In fact, as long as it's tall I'm happy.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I never said "smaller is better"... please pay attention to what I actually wrote before commenting on it.

I said small tunnels have certain advantages, and by the same token, big tunnels have certain advantages. I have yet to find the "perfect" tunnel.

I personally could care less what tunnel people fly in since everyone will find different aspects of them appealing such as location, design, cost, instructors and staff, etc...
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

See your point...but you haven't actually flown in Bedford. :P I would have to agree with Paul (yes it is just an opinion I suppose, but it's what I've seen) that people seem to hurt and funnel themselves very little because of the huge huge space in Bedford. The walls are so far away...:S...seems impossible to hit them! It is a lot bigger than Eloy, really, 2ft goes further than you might think.

Airkix tunnel design is excellent and anyone would be happy with that one

It is a great design. Whether people are happy with 12ft when 16 is up the road is another matter.

I never said "smaller is better"... please pay attention to what I actually wrote before commenting on it.

I said small tunnels have certain advantages, and by the same token, big tunnels have certain advantages.

Er...you only mentioned the advantages of the smaller tunnel, and the disadvantages of the larger one. Apologies for taking that to mean you thought small was better [:/]

Matt, you appear to get angry very easily, and if you read what Paul wrote, your reaction was slightly uncalled for.

With in experienced flyers i.e beginners, the instructors hold on to them pretty much all the time, unless they appear stable enough to let go of, and when they do, they are never further than a few inches away, so getting hold of the student to stop them hitting the wall is pretty damn easy. So that 'punches into a track' isn't gonna happen.

in my opinion, and i realise you have a problem with opinions, i think you should first visit Bodyflight, and then make another comment,

Nigel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

um dude, you can't correct "opinions" so get over yourself...

Your 'opinion' stated that a bigger tunnel is less safe - I disagree... and based on my experience think your opinion in incorrect! - if you though black was white that would be incorrect too... so nothing to get over there.

The point I was making is that the Airkix tunnel design is excellent and anyone would be happy with that one

To make that point you dont have to question the safety of a larger design. I would happily share incident logs with other facilities to prove the point.

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

We find quite the contrary - and having more space gives you the reaction time and ability to stop before hitting the wall.

you didn't watch ME fly in your tunnel then :D

My opinion is that a bigger tunnel like Bedford is very adapted for ALL flyers, "smaller" tunnels are adapted for "smaller" flying groups. if it's your 1st times in a tunnel flying alone or 2 way, 10-12ft is OK, you don't NEED a bigger one. When you want to fly bigger formations/pieces, then a bigger tunnel will be great.

Paul, your facility is great. Not everyone needs a tunnel THAT big, but I really love it. I like to call it MY HOME TUNNEL.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

My opinion is that a bigger tunnel like Bedford is very adapted for ALL flyers, "smaller" tunnels are adapted for "smaller" flying groups. if it's your 1st times in a tunnel flying alone or 2 way, 10-12ft is OK, you don't NEED a bigger one. When you want to fly bigger formations/pieces, then a bigger tunnel will be great.

Paul, your facility is great. Not everyone needs a tunnel THAT big, but I really love it. I like to call it MY HOME TUNNEL.

Nicely put - and my thoughts exactly...

And I am pleased you think of here as home.... just dont go leaving your socks lying around again ;):D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Wow, you guys really need to work on your reading comprehension skills... at no point was I "angry" about anything here. I have nothing vested in this discussion, I don't work for _any_ tunnel (unlike another person in this thread) and was offering _my_ experiences with tunnels having flown in several of them over the last couple years accumulating more than a couple minutes of flight time.

You haven't spent much time in or at tunnels if you think newbies can't get away from their instructors and crater. It happens, plain and simple.

Also, at no point did I offer any opinions about Bedford, I could really care less about it considering it's thousands of miles away and over-priced based on current exchange rates.

Once again, for the cheap seats... The Skyventure recirc tunnels are excellent and any skydiver hoping to hone their skills in it will come away satisfied. If you think you _need_ 16ft to solo belly-fly in, maybe you should work on fine-tuning your skills a bit. :S
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Your 'opinion' stated that a bigger tunnel is less safe - I disagree... and based on my experience think your opinion in incorrect! - if you though black was white that would be incorrect too... so nothing to get over there.

Wrong again, I said there was _potential_ for greater injury. Just because, in the _very short_ time you have been open, you haven't seen it happen yet, doesn't mean it won't. Please review Newton's second law of motion if you don't think carrying more speed into an impact won't impart more force to your body.

BTW, colors aren't subjective, they can be measured with precision. Pros and cons of particular tunnels are subjective on the other hand making that a piss-poor analogy.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Sometimes a bigger tunnel just means you are going to build up more speed before you auger into a wall

If someone new suddenly punches out into a track, or kicks off a wall really hard they are going to beat the spotter to the other side, usually with ugly results

If you think you _need_ 16ft to solo belly-fly in, maybe you should work on fine-tuning your skills a bit.

Okay Matt, i just collected a few points from your posts, and we've gone from newbies tracking into the wall to solo belly fly, So i've kinda lost track of the point of this conversation!!
Solo flying is actually really good fun in the Bodyflight Bedford, Largest and most powerful wind Tunnel in the world, you can actually fly around the tunnel, you can do proper forward, backward and side movement, using a wider range of body movements to accomplish this.

All i'm saying is you shouldn't comment on something without knowledge of it, especially not on here (as i have seen many times before) as people will make comments.

If you're ever in the UK, come fly with us,

Nigel

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

So you quoted me... and...? You failed to address any of the points that I made. You sound like some spam internet advert with that "biggest and fastest" comment dude. There's more to having a great tunnel than "big and fast". Maybe when you get more experience, you'll figure that out someday. Until then, ignorance is bliss I guess.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Okay i deleted my post coz i can't be arsed with this bullshit and i'm bored now,
Have fun flying, be safe, live your life,

Nigel

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

There's more to having a great tunnel than "big and fast". Maybe when you get more experience, you'll figure that out someday.

Er...dude...YOU haven't BEEN to Bedford. Does your last comment

ignorance is bliss

therefore not apply to you?

You do sound a bit hot and bothered though. Maybe a nice cup of tea would help?

:D It does make me chuckle a little when it comes down to a debate on semantics...

Bottom line is - you implied that having more space was more dangerous... even if you added sometimes as a prefix.

Please review Newton's second law of motion if you don't think carrying more speed into an impact won't impart more force to your body

You are quite right that more speed could be a problem.... but just like in a car - having a safe stopping distance before a wall also helps.

You refer by our 'short' time in running that we dont have enough experience to guage this. However I would consider our over 1500hours of public flying to be a fair representation.

Of the over 40hours I have personally seen operations in 12ft tunnels (3 of them) and the many hours here... I can observe that the walls are easier to miss with more space - and that acceleration at the wall is less of a problem.

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

I can observe that the walls are easier to miss with more space - and that acceleration at the wall is less of a problem.

another advantage of Bedford IMO is that there aren't WALLS but A wall which is circular. Less angles = more space and also = you slide easier against them;)

And YES there are also some negative points in this facility...
-not much to do in the immediate surroundings
-I leave my socks around
-It's 3hours away from where I live.

Besides that the crew/staff are really great, very helpful, the flight zone has already been discussed... The access to the pre-flight zone with the double magnetic doors is the best thing I saw. If you need to go in-out you can do it freely, which is really good.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Many thanks guys, a lot to think about!

Just had a look at the sites and orlando looks like fun! Cheap and I get to escape this good old brit weather!

Does anyone in the forums go there often? Be nice to pitch up and say Hi from a DZ.com buddy!
---

Define normal?!?