tdog

Longest continuous flight? I have my new record - no beer, this ain't skydiving...

GQ_Jumper and I flew in Colorado a few nights ago... Ok, last night I guess...

Somehow he (Dan) purchased a 15 minute block without sharing with others, so none of that rotate in stuff you normally do...

So, what are two people going to do with 15 minutes???

The challenge was even more interesting when Dan, due to work, showed up at 7:10 for a 7:15 flight... 5 minutes to gear up and dirt dive 15 minutes of flying.

So we put on a dry-erase board various drills with numbers by them. Pretty aggressive 4way stuff, like turning piece partners on cats and sidebodies, burble hoping from one sidebody to the other, etc... Also some quick random work like compressed left, compressed right, sidebody, sidebody (other), 360... Lots of outfacing stuff too, and lots of 360s, because they are, well, fun.

When we got board, both of us would fly down to the dry erase board and study it like a menu at a restaurant and sign a number... Note, Dan's handwriting was small, so it must have looked funny to see both of us with our nose on the glass inches off the net. (Yes, the tunnel needs something to hold the boards) If the other agreed, drill started... If not, a quick negotiation occurred...

I always wondered what my limit in length of time is... Except for some tiredness in my arms, which I covered by playing with flying with my hands under my chin, and brainlocking on some sidebody-270-360-weirdness that Dan threw my way with out time for me to absorb, I have not found my limit yet... I was just getting going, and surprised when the time ran out... Dan flew the last minute alone, on his request, to play with some drills.

Sometime I want to go for an hour... 60 skydives without stopping...

I wish I threw in a DVD, because we were going quick, and probably a bit sloppy too, but we had fun... I actually think I improved my skills, because I could feel things going quicker without the "pressure to perform in 2 minutes". Our levels were easy, grips were there, and it just felt - good...

Anyway - so what is the longest continuous flight you have? Belly, VRW, Freefly. What were you doing? What did you do to mix it up? How did you dirt dive it?

Me personally? 2.5 mins lol. However when i was at tunnel camp last month there was a guy there who had apparently logged 200-300 hours in a year at various tunnels. When i was there over a 2 day period he had bought 3 hours to fly with Babylon the one day, gone to another tunnel then come back to fly some more the next day. He was in the tunnel continuously for a freaking long time. I couldn't say for sure exactly how long but upwards of 30mins probably. He was doing a lot of back carving and transition work, so 3 dimensional/freefly stuff mainly. He was having a lot of fun - they all were and it was very entertaining to watch, even when they were just messing about.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Personally my longest session without leaving the chamber is about 90mins... Was tired for sure - but I think if you are changing flying positions frequently enough alot more could be possible.

Certainly a workout!

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Thanks for flying with us so much. You and Dan are fun to have around. WE are working on a system for holding the dry-erase boards in place. I'd like to be there for the 1-hour attempt, just in case you need a break:ph34r::ph34r:

Derek

You guys are awesome too.... The dry erase board thing can be integrated into the same panel that will have the new mirror on it too.:P;):)

Eloy has a conduit, 1/2 inch EMT, that has two 90 degree bends, one on each end... So the "U" shaped conduit runs between two supports... On the dry erase boards, they installed hooks, made out of conduit clamps, that go over the conduit... We can do better on the hooks I am thinking... I think the bill of materials was less than 10 bucks, and it works pretty darn good... I got a conduit bender if you need one. Oh, and when no boards are there, it just disappears into the metal look of the tunnel.

Oh, and if we ever do the 1 hour flight, no - you cannot fly during our slot unless you.... well... buy the time.:S he he he... Just kidding, you guys have been real wonderful to frequent fliers.

Hmmm... I've done 45min in one day broken into 3 15min blocks rotating with 1 person and I've done 30min of a 1hr block a couple times broken up in strange ways. Transitioning between belly, back and sit gives you time to rest muscle-groups. I guess I could stay in there a pretty long time by standing on the walls or hovering on my back like a dead insect... I think I'd run out of money long before I got too tired to fly in _any_ position though. B|:ph34r:
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Anyway - so what is the longest continuous flight you have? Belly, VRW, Freefly. What were you doing? What did you do to mix it up? How did you dirt dive it?

You don't want to know.....:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Certainly a workout!

I have a plan for Dan (no limerick intended!) in that we will have a work out for at least 4 mins at the end of our session playing a game which I will win...

Dan and I have 20 mins booked for Tues (the cheeky sod wants to use me for a warm up before his one on one with Kirk)

What he doesn't know is that I have asked Kirk to set a schedule for his warm up with meB|B|

Liz

I flew an hour straight not too long ago. No brief, just got in there and worked w. Danager. He's great at in tunnel instruction and b/c he's a manager doesn't have much time for pre briefs.

Freefly- back, sit, splits, hd carving. I was working on stability drills (being shaken and pushed while upside down) and improving my bad way of carving.

For Tunnel For The Cause we flew 2 hours in a span of 3 hours- hour on hour off, hour on. There were 6 of us doing that and we were whooped since we were freeflying in 97 mph winds lol!

It's not quantity but quality that's important for me. Hour flight or 10 min flight, as long as its productive and I'm having a good time I'm :)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I've heard a rumor that Thomas Huges and a couple others got "stuck" in the Orlando tunnel many moons ago when their operator went to do some paperwork in the office and fell asleep at the desk.

It is my understanding that they experimented with trying to fall asleep on their backs in the airstream. He said it almost worked except when you would almost be asleep you'd bump into the wall.

Gotta hand it to Dan - he flew 45 mins last night, well 2 mins in and 1/2 min or 1 min out, doing 4-way with 3 Airspeed Members inc slot switches, etc, going full speed. He kept up and his flying was awesome.

Kirk was well impressed - don't know about Thomas and Andy as I haven't spoken to them yet.

It shows real physical and mental strength to do that...

Now, before Dan gets even more cocky (and yes, Dan, I am going to burst your bubble - like the navigation thing), there was room for improvement;)

I still beat his ass in hand tag - I win, I win, I win:)
Liz

I've heard a rumor that Thomas Huges and a couple others got "stuck" in the Orlando tunnel many moons ago when their operator went to do some paperwork in the office and fell asleep at the desk.

It is my understanding that they experimented with trying to fall asleep on their backs in the airstream. He said it almost worked except when you would almost be asleep you'd bump into the wall.

:ph34r::ph34r:I find this story hard to believe. If the skydivers are good enough to fly around on their backs, they are good enough to get in and out of the flight chamber with out a tunnel instructor helping them.

If it was me I would have just got out of the flight chamber, and push the emergency shut down switch.

I'm sure there is more to the story.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

...but can he do it on his back??? Nevermind, don't answer that, I don't want to know... :o:D

Did you not promise me that we are going to do some back/belly RW work at the tunnel league events...

Maybe I will be good enough on my back at the end of the season we can do both backs... Nah, I think it would be more fun to do some mix and match...

At the time I believe Thomas was an instructor......

And Orlando doesn't (or didn't at the time) have an e-stop in the flight chamber, so there really was no way out till someone shut it down.:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Could they still get out of the flight chamber and lay down on the ante chamber bench?

Edited because I can't spell:S Thanks Chuck;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Gotta hand it to Dan - he flew 45 mins last night, well 2 mins in and 1/2 min or 1 min out, doing 4-way with 3 Airspeed Members inc slot switches, etc, going full speed. He kept up and his flying was awesome.

We even threw in a little old school and did the old block 12(zipper-star), those boys know how FLY and definitely made me work my ass off to keep up, but they were worth every penny for their input.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower