tunnelfly

Windtunnel at the Olympic Games Closing Ceremonies

I am so excited that tunnel flying was shown with such widespread exposure, and it made sense to keep the tunnel flying focused on the beauty of body flight out in the open, especially for the whuffo audience. Everyone watching seemed so fascinated at what they were viewing. It was wonderful to know that they were very excited at the prospect of body flight as a sport.

Referring to the video clip that I saw on Dawn's site (thank you, Dawn!), I loved how slowly and deliberately the flyers showed each move. It was obviously choreographed, like a dance. (I love that!) The costumes (they looked like white doves) and music were beautiful, elegant. It really focused on the love of flying, not doing ten million tricks in a tunnel.

I honestly have to say that even watching the belly flyer in boxman, reminded of the first time that I felt the wind on my body after jumping out of a plane as a skydiver. I had so many feelings of wonder and possibility going through my head, that something so incredible could actually be a possibility. The Olympics clip captured some of those first-time flyers feeling for the audience, like they were watching the impossible made possible. It was a magical moment.

Hopefully, many children watched and fell in love with flying. Maybe someday, they will be saying that they first decided to try body flight based on watching it at the closing Olympics ceremony of this year.

ok.. :|seriously.. I dunno... looks like a fleece scarf of some type to me.. from here... zillions of miles away:P

Looks like they're trying some kind of tethered flight option...! ;):P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Well for us at SkyVenture Colorado, having the Wind Tunnel at the closing ceremonies of the Olympic Games and then doing a live feed to the morning news yesterday morning from the Wind Tunnel here, my phone was ringing off the hook! It was a long day for meB|
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Glad to hear it Mar!!! It was a good day for us all.. I was in chat yesterday with one investor who's buying a portalbe to do tours and shows and this footage couldn't have come at a better time for him to show his investors today and tomorrow:P
Vegas was busy busy busy too
I was slammed all day myself
Forums all over are linking back to our sites..
Its a flood.. let's all hope that the gates don't close!:)

why is this not an olympic event ? anyone petitioning the IOC ?

Maybe it could be a great demo sport in 5 to 10 years from now -- after tons more windtunnels open. (SkyVenture seems to be going gangbusters here.)

I remember the IOC was once petitioned by USPA about allowing skydiving/parachuting as a demonstration sport, but that failed. (Someone more familiar with that effort, could elaborate further.) What about wind tunnels? Granted, wind tunnels will need to be much more widespread in each country, but the publicity of the closing ceremonies could cause a few new units to be constructed. As a side spinoff, it would make the skydiving sport more popular too.

Why not also just post the stuff here since that's what the poster asked for?

Hey Chuck... I didn't realize the request was to specifically post the names & positions right here.

I used to go out and post things online everywhere (incl. dz.com) .. but I would spend hours loading pages & forums & calendars and honestly, it's much easier for me to update only one website. After all that's what Bodyflight Network is for...

In the recent past HH has asked me to refrain from posting info that does not relate directly to his skydiving audience... and so I try to be respectful of that. You yourself have pointed out to me to be careful in here with advertising and butting my nose in where it doesn't belong, (not in so many words but that's my short revision) and so I try not to initiate any more post topics and I pretty much have tried to make myself scarce here.

Since that.. I haven't been in trouble here once!;) and that works for me.

It's also of great help to see how much interest there is from dz.com'ers in what happened, since when they click over to my site, my reports reflect those click throughs.

I hope I didn't do anything wrong again.... honestly.. I'm trying to stay out of trouble.

ADDED: If anyone is curious.... as of last night our Torrino page has been visited 1,595 times since closing ceremonies aired here in the Eastern US.
The Olympic clip has been download 1552 times on my site, and 716 times on SkydivingMovies.com

A wonderful moment in the history of our sport!

I totally agree and wasn't really busting on Dawn. My point is that a person on this site asked a question and nobody with the knowledge bothered to answer it. They did, however, take the exact same amount of time to tell the guy that it could be found elsewhere. THAT, I think, is pointless.

A better response, in my opinion, would have been to answer the question AND post the link to their own site (which contains MUCH more detailed info, video, etc). I don't think that's asking too much, particularly when you are going to "waste" time responding in the first place on this site. Again, not bagging on Dawn particularly, but just trying to make a point.

Chuck