tunnelfly

Windtunnel at the Olympic Games Closing Ceremonies

I had relatives calling me up to make sure I was watching the closing ceremonies. :P And it was almost 10pm when the phone started to ring! One was talking while another was leaving a message on my voice mail at the same time. :) Glad I found a blank tape and was taping it. I caught the last bit of the skysurfer, then the tube flyer.

Anyone know who the lucky bastards were who got to do the flying?! :o None of the posted articles have any of the names other than the creator of this version of tunnel.

What GREAT publicity!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Oh.. I see.. you want all of his crews names... ok.. well.. I sent an email to him and asked then for you:P

Yeah, what -he- said. Who were the ones actually doing the flying in front of milions of people? :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hey Dawn!

I caught about 2 seconds of the flying but would like to see more. Did you say you posted the video somewhere? I tried to find it on your site but was unsuccessful.

Thanks girl! I really need to come down and visit you this spring. I had a blast flying with you and the girlie gang at SVO but it would be awesome to get in to the open air at AAC. Then you can teach me some old school tunnel flying moves. ;)

Laura

CANOPY COURSE Video Training with Brian Germain at AdventureWisdom.com

Thanks, my wife missed it last night and will really enjoy this clip.

(Glad we switched to high speed....)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Did anyone see it? I only saw a short part with a skysurfer, but that looked awesome. Can't wait to see the repeat...

I saw it too!

Very neat, vertical wind tunnels shown to a mass audience -- I wonder if this will translate into ncreased popularity for indoor skydiving;

Indoor machines are getting more popular though; we do need a few outdoor portable VWT's properly functioning so that they can be used as demo's at events like these!

Interestingly, one of the first commercial bodyflight VWT (open to public) was invented in Canada (link) and it was called the Aerodium. While it is a dated model of VWT, and it doesn't seem to be as popular as SkyVenture these days, it's pretty impressive to see this being shown on television in front of a mass audience. A few friends of mine expressed interest in trying a windtunnel and I told them about SkyVenture New Hampshire opening soon. ;)

I thought this would go good with your link:
http://www.bodyflight.net/cgi-bin/bfnews/print.pl?article=59 the recounting of the first tunnel flight in 1979 by Gina St. German.. the first ever civilian to fly that we're aware of.. she's the daughter of Francois the Inventor of the Levitationarium named Aerodium in Canada.

If you like that sort of thing.. the patent for the Levitationarium is located here: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F4457509

asked, and answered!
I'll keep updating as I find out who flew which slot
Enjoy!:)
added: btw... I've been reading all the comments everwhere and all the forums & articles not to mention the dozens of emails I got yesterday... I bet every tunnel owner and public person got a few themselves! Anyway the overwhelmingly obvious data I'm making note of is this:

whuffos & tunnelrats seemed to really love & enjoy it
skydivers were less impressed but also enjoyed it

It is by far the most downloaded video I've ever seen we're close to a thousand already in less than a day.

Excellent!:)

You know, my parents liked it...

But I was not all that impressed...

It seemed to lack theme - and the "tricks" became redundant to the point that the announcers were apologizing for the lack of energy in the stadium, and the TV director felt obligated to take cutaway shots of the stadium to keep the show interesting.

I liked the fact that they incorporated a skier and a snowboarder into the show - but if that was the theme - athletes - why did they also incorporate a clown???

Just seemed like they could have done a little more to give the routine a plot - or a story line to follow - or some freefly/transitions that would have impressed the audience used to seeing pretty awesome maneuvers on the halfpipe, ski slopes, and ice arena... Even the tube they flew could have had the country flags or something to give it an Olympic theme...