champu

Suggested Topics for Safety Day

Hey, so I've been asked to do another talk at safety day this year at Skydive Elsinore regarding FS / belly flying safety. It has recently come to my attention that my portion of the talk from last year is available on youtube. This time around I would like to add in some discussion of tinted/mirrored goggles as well as wearing of small format cameras while flying inside a formation.

I would appreciate it if experienced folks would watch the video let me know if there is anything else you'd add.

Thanks.

The only thing I'd add, especially in light of discussion about barrel rolls when tracking, a big visible wave off.
Better to use a little altitude for a longer wave off than a barrel roll.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

The only thing I'd add, especially in light of discussion about barrel rolls when tracking, a big visible wave off.
Better to use a little altitude for a longer wave off than a barrel roll.

Ya beat me to it! ;)

Definitely emphasize a strong & proper wave off, seems like we're seeing less of that these days.

Also may want to cover traffic patterns at length, both in free-fall and under canopy...the importance of head on a swivel is greater in big ways etc.

Make sure your tracking skills are commensurate with the size of the formation you're attempting.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Climbout and door considerations.

You might recall our skydiving duck cartoon friend was injured by a door frame impact during an exit where the timing was messed up or confused. Her story about that primed me to be more careful in a similar situations. I was inside the plane with harness holds with exit went early. Thankfully I was somewhat alert to what was happening and started reacting by trying to get moving and also get free of the holds at the same time. Still I got a little bump on the door frame out of the deal. Maybe not in California but for those that have not been jumping all winter, exit counts may be a bit rusty and off.

I am not highly experienced but just having some knowledge of that previous injury prepared me a bit to know there was danger there. How you react to a premature linked exit might be worth touching on.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Ah, all good stuff. Can't believe I forgot to mention wave-offs. And I can add some discussion of grips and timing as part of the exit considerstions.

I probably won't get too much into canopy patterns as that's covered by a different speaker and that was one of the things (along with spotting and exit order) that I got a bit long-winded on a couple years ago. I think at least a note about planning canopy traffic into the dive flow especially as formations get larger would be good though.