tomvailco

Wind Tunnels

They are building a new wind tunnel in Colorado as I'm sure alot of you know. I belive they are going to open it in January. I have done 2 tandems and am ready to proceed in the sport. Does everyone support learning in a wind tunnel before AFF or should I just learn in the sky??

Thanks,

Tom from Colorado

Tom,

I see you are from Colorado too.

I was talking to the head AFF instructor at Mile High last week... I think the tunnel just might be an important part of training in Colorado once it opens... He is real excited about it. A lot of other DZs that have tunnels on site use it as part of training.

Being the last first jump course for 2005 has already completed, I think you will be looking at January as a starting point anyway... By then a lot more info will be out about the programs the Tunnel will have in place. If you can wait until January 20th for your first jump course, you can go to the tunnel and get great advice as three of the tunnel rats are AFF instructors too. They will know what to teach you even if the tunnel has not established all it's programs and packages...

If you are gung ho, call the DZ and schedule the next first jump course. If it is before the tunnel opening, you will make it thru some or all of your AFF jumps like tens of thousands (myself included) have. You then will be super lucky to use the tunnel to refine your skills while getting your A licence... I had to travel out of state, you won't. Isn't it great to be in Colorado! Snowboard at in the morning, skydive at lunch, tunnel at night.;)

three of the tunnel rats are AFF instructors too.

Actually all five of the tunnel instructors are AFF instructors and one even use to be an AFF Instructor/Examiner. So there is a lot of talent in that tunnel, that will be able to get you through whatever skydiving goals you have.
Fly it like you stole it!

They are building a new wind tunnel in Colorado as I'm sure alot of you know. I belive they are going
to open it in January.

This summer I was trying to choose between two tunnels; one had been open for a while and the other
one was going to be open Real Soon Now. Next week, for sure. Well, OK, end of the month, for sure.
No later than the 15th of next month, honest. They eventually did open, about a month after I did my
tunnel time at the other tunnel. I've since talked to jumpers who've been around for longer than I have
and they advised me that this wasn't all that unusual when a new tunnel opens. Since you seem to be
fairly local, it might not matter to you, but to somebody who's trying to get an advance-purchase plane
ticket, it might be pretty important.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

They are building a new wind tunnel in Colorado as I'm sure alot of you know. I belive they are going
to open it in January.

This summer I was trying to choose between two tunnels; one had been open for a while and the other
one was going to be open Real Soon Now. Next week, for sure. Well, OK, end of the month, for sure.
No later than the 15th of next month, honest. They eventually did open, about a month after I did my
tunnel time at the other tunnel. I've since talked to jumpers who've been around for longer than I have
and they advised me that this wasn't all that unusual when a new tunnel opens. Since you seem to be
fairly local, it might not matter to you, but to somebody who's trying to get an advance-purchase plane
ticket, it might be pretty important.

Eule

I agree that tunnels have had a history of not opening on time... A 4way camp I was scheduled for at Eloy was bumped so many times I canceled and went to Perris... I have seen it first hand.

About a year ago, before the ground was broken, the primary developer of this tunnel sent me an e-mail with a time line... I said, "ya right".

After I was given a tour and talked with him first hand and saw the construction process and progress, I honestly believe that he learned from the frustrations (notice I did not say mistakes) of others, and I would even bet on this tunnel's opening date... I have faith... They have thought out of the box on so many things that I am impressed... As a business owner, I normally have a pretty good BS meter, and I am registering a zero right now.

Most tunnel rats can out fly AFFIs. :S:D
A few of them aren't even "A Licensed" yet! :ph34r:

You are right... But since I mentioned it in the first place - having a former AFFI as a rat means they know exactly what to teach an AFF student, even if they can outfly everyone else.

Can you imagine a rat going on their own AFF1 jump and asking their instructor if they can work on their head down carve?

Can you imagine a rat going on their own AFF1 jump and asking their instructor if they can work on their head down carve?

Not with a Nav280. :D Besides that, what if they don't pull? Would they have to repeat?

If they dont pull, I suspect they wont be repeating much of anything :P

Low jump numbers so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

I recently did AFF and was wondering if tunnel time before jumping was a good idea.

Most people here said it was a great idea.

I did 20 minutes and it was hugely helpful, really gave me a lot of skills that would have been much harder to aquire at 13000 feet (for me at least).

A friend that I did AFF with also did tunnel time, and neither of us failed a level.

BOOM Headshot

Def. happened w. an instructor at SVO last year. His first skydive was hd. I'd love to see the video.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Any time you spend in a wind tunnel is good time.

As was stated here by other posters, we have very qualified tunnel instructors at SkyVenture Colorado to help prepare you for your AFF jumps.

Feel free to contact me at:

[email protected]
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey