tysonsugihara

Ogden, Utah Tunnel???

The Weber County Recorders Office has no information about the SkyVenture tunnel. No license issued. Just called there. :(
Called SkyVenture to get more information on more than one occasion, and they haven't returned any phone calls.

SkyVenture called back today, they are indeed moving forward with the project that apparently is a combination of private and county funds, but it is not going to make the published completion date of November 06 by a fair shot.
Looking forward to seeing this, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around why it's in Ogden, Utah, vs the new Larry Miller Sport Center in Tooele, which has a significantly larger population base, closer to major airports, closer to dropzone, ridiculously huge event facilities with NASCAR track, equestrian park, waterpark, etc.
Regardless, a 2 hour drive is better than an 8 hour drive!

I'd say Ogden is pretty close to Ogden Skydiving Center. And Tooele a larger population base than Ogden? Not even close. Tooele might be a little closer to SLC, by maybe 10 minutes, but not significantly and Ogden is roughly 3 1/2 times as big as Tooele and has a college population as well. Tooele is closer to the airport, I'll give you that. Ogden also has large event facilities and the amusement park just down the road. Ogden is also very close to Hill Air Force Base and military bases are good customer bases for skydiving operations.

I think Ogden is clearly a better choice than Tooele.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

my point was, Tooele Airport is much closer to SLC. 10 minutes? What you been smokin? Given that I make the drive to Hill regularly, and Tooele regularly, I'd give my left arm to make the drive from central SLC to Skydive Ogden in only 10 minutes more. Part of my right arm, too.
Added to the other part of the wierdness of it is that Ogden is no where near as affluent as SLC, and EVERY business in that area has failed, including the main mall. Skydive Utah draws from Ogden, Provo, Evanston, Wendover, etc. Ogden gets Brigham and maybe Logan. The two added up don't cover the population of SLC, and the further north you go, the less income of the general population. Farther south, it's significantly higher in affluency.
Point either way, is SLC is a substantially more intelligent location, regardless of which dropzone you prefer. The main reason I brought up Tooele is because they have the Deseret Peak facility, and Larry Miller's monstrous new sports park. Both are less than half a mile from Erda.
I'm quite sure I'll be logging more miles to Ogden once their tunnel is done.:)

Skydive Utah draws from Ogden, Provo, Evanston, Wendover, etc. Ogden gets Brigham and maybe Logan.

I think you drastically underestimate where Ogden draws from. Ogden draws just as much from SLC as Tooele does. Hill AFB is a huge factor too. Spent quite a bit of time at both. Also, if a 4-way were to do a training camp and also want to skydive, I'm sure they'd rather be where the caravan is rather than a king air.

Point either way, is SLC is a substantially more intelligent location, regardless of which dropzone you prefer.

I agree with you there.

I really don't think a tunnel in Utah is going to be as successful as others. Utah is surrounded by tunnels in Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada. I don't think it will draw the camps like those tunnels do. It's going to have to rely on the population base in and around Utah, and that's probably not good enough. I guess we'll see. I hope it works, but I doubt it will. (in any location). Perhaps the best place to put it would be in Lagoon parking lot. There it might work.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

It is finally showing up on skyventures web site. They had me wondering for a long time since skyventure did not have any information concerning the ogden tunnel until just recently.

Death is so permanant, and I'm just not ready for that kind of committment.

It's official, the tunnel is scheduled to open in June;)... 12' Recirculating. Finally Ogden is being put on the map as a all around recreational city. In addition to the tunnel, there will be Flowrider indoor surfing, climbing walls, Golds gym, indoor kayaking, a megaplex (the largest in the state I've heard) restaurants shopping and more!!!