philh

bedford adjustment

I'm sure Paul will be along shortly with all the tech info for you geeks out there

Ok, weve finished our modifications a day early... with all testing complete of our new settings.

Just for those that didnt know what we have been planning - when we opened the tunnel we restricted the power settings to a max of 1200KW (out of a possible 3.2MW) because we didnt think much more was needed.

Most people can sit / headdown with our previous settings but a little more is nicer - so we have been de-restricting some of the power today.

We have also improved our hydraulics control to allow for faster speed changes (under 2 secs for all changes)

We may get to the point where we are happy and just leave it.... but its a bit like our baby at the moment and we want it wearing the best Nike trainers:D

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

We have kept the original speed range as a 'low power' option so that everyone can still do the same with no confusion.... but have added a 'high power' range that goes up alot more

In reality I think we have only had a handful of people that would ever have wanted to go faster - so we use the new settings in that situation only

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Paul will chime in with techno stuff shortly i'm sure!!

I think I am getting a reputation as a nerd :P:D

It isnt really totally relevant a figure when discussing wind speed etc - because the way that you percieve speed in a tunnel is actually a combination of flow and pressure....

Think of a pea-shooter.. put a small pea in there and it takes a large blow to get it to move! put a big pea in the tube and a small amount of air will get the pea travelling fast.

Our current setting for top speed is fast enough for me to get close to a stand... and not being the lightest guy for most people this would be too much.

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

We have kept the original speed range as a 'low power' option so that everyone can still do the same with no confusion.... but have added a 'high power' range that goes up alot more

In reality I think we have only had a handful of people that would ever have wanted to go faster - so we use the new settings in that situation only

Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

[pause] These go to eleven.

Sorry, had to be said.

John

The current speed setting is restricted to 138mph and we have measured up to this...

But as I mention, this is kind of a pointless figure to know. Itt doesnt compare at all with fall speed in the sky where air density is different through altitude... and it certainly isnt comparible between tunnels of different diameters... where pressure and flow speed are factors.

;)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

So anyone - either staff or customers - care to comment on if sit flying is considerably easier now than before or is not much difference?

:D:D It's not the air speed. You have to learn to fly the tunnel, its not the sky even with air speeds coming closer. You have to be able to show proficency at flying w. walls and people at low speeds before they even think of giving you more air speed.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Uhm I have flown in many tunnels and always found it a bit tricky , but not impossible to sit. However in the Airkix tunnel this is not true its just as easy as in the air. Flying in Bedrord I could sit fly but it wasnt easy, flying in Airkix it was v easy. So it clearly is the air speed or some variation on that theme. So the question remains.

If the issue you had was you needed more speed.... then our speed increase is likely to help of course.

I personally didnt have enough speed prior to the de-limitation to sit easily... not I can almost stand - so probably thats a guage.

In the sky you will get away with any sit position becuase you will just fall faster - and for us to increase speed beyond a safe position is always the question we ask.

Bottom line is .... you wont know unless you try
;):D:D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

That's true Bedford for me i found it hard to back fly

Thats a hard one to comprehend... as even prior to the speed adjustment we certainly had more than enough speed to backfly... that one can only be technically described as a bad day maybe!:P

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

that one can only be technically described as a bad day maybe!

Think that may translate to the first time i tried backflying in a tunnel it was hard, the next time is was a bit easier. Theres no doubt Bedford could pin you to the ceiling on your back before or after the adjustment

The great thing about Airkix for solo/2 way free fly is that the air allows a nice neutral (skydivers) sit position so you are in the middle of your speed range which is more comfortable and gives greater mobility and more options to adjust your fall rate when required. (i.e. docks, transitions)

I'm really hoping the adjustment at Bedford will take it to this level. I'll be back there soon to find out!!!

Well I watched Rob Silver ( British Freefly champion ) in there last night and he was flying head-down pretty comfortably. When he was in a sit he said he was flying in a fast-fall position to stay down. If you're struggling with back-flying or sitting.....I believe he's available for coaching.:)