rsmn17

Tunnel in nj?

I haven't put the New Jersey tunnel under status pending yet, since they haven't started anything yet, BUT.. there is a large sports complex scheduled to go up called Xanadu and it will contain, amongst other things, a SkyVenture Vertical Wind Tunnel, in the Meadowlands area.

However, the governer who signed the 1.3 billion dollar contract for the sports complex stepped down from his position (one month later) and the project is now up in the air. The NY Giants are NOT happy about the new complex.. they want to build a new stadium, but WON'T build it unelss the Xanadu complex promises to be closed on game days.

How silly!!! But just another example of the silly red tape that keeps so many tunnels from becoming a reality!!!!!

The last post in this thread was 3.5 years ago. Is there any new news about the NJ tunnel? Skyventure still lists the project in their "Districts Reserved" section. According to their website, Xanadu is slated to open this summer.

Does anybody know the status of the project? It seems like a tunnel in the NYC area would thrive.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

hey im an instructor at the orlando tunnel and last friday i actually flew one of the engineers working on the loovers for the meadowlands tunnel and he said that the project is back up and running but didnt give me any tentative dates or anything of the sort... thats all the input i have...
Life is all about experiences...
Luck, is when opportunity and preparation meet...

Lots of tunnels are "in the planning stage", but don't get off the ground due to insufficient investor capital. That's what's apparently held up putting any tunnels in the Mid-Atlantic, a region you'd think would have high demand, given its population density and lack of easy "driving day trip" proximity to existing tunnels. In the current economy, with most consumers tightening their belts, if you were a potential investor, would you put your money into a new venture that caters almost exclusively to discretionary spending on expensive recreation? So I'll believe it when ground is broken, concrete has been poured and construction is active - not before.

Well, it's good to know that they haven't completely scrapped the project. I'd think that in the current economic climate, the NYC area would be one of the safest places to put a tunnel.

In case anybody's interested, here's the website for the sports complex that this thing is supposed to be a part of. CLICKY
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Any progress on the completion of Xanadu? I know they are advertising it heavily but don't seem to have an open date or even tenets yet. It seems like Skyventure won't start on their tunnel until the mall is open and it seems that this caution was for good reason.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was just living in that area and spent quite a bit of time researching and reading about it... the project has stopped and resumed many times, but it is currently at a stand still. it is one of those things that the state of NJ may just never open... The complex ended up being more money than initially anticipated and in order for it to keep open, a ridiculous amount of people would have to visit it on a daily basis... so I am going to guess that that the guy i spoke with last year (in my post from last year) was either not who he claimed to be, or it just so happened that was one of the times the complex project was back up and running and so was the tunnel... not much to do now but hope and wait, unless you can afford to open one...
Life is all about experiences...
Luck, is when opportunity and preparation meet...

With thousands of jobs for the Meadowlands region at stake, the state is considering an offer from an investor to revive the stalled Xanadu project in East Rutherford, a $2.3 billion entertainment/retail/sports complex on Route 3.

Related Companies, a New York City-based real estate development company, may kick in millions to complete the project, which has seen its opening date pushed back several times.

Xanadu needs about $500 million to be completed. It’s unclear whether Related would put up all or a portion of the money needed for completion.

The massive complex, which is supposed to feature five theme-oriented shopping and entertainment districts, was envisioned to be a cross between an indoor theme park
and a mall.

The completed complex will have a total of 4.8 million square feet, with 2.3 million square feet available for lease, plus an aquarium, an indoor snow dome, two skydiving tunnels, movie theaters, and up to 200 stores.

Reference 9 days ago:

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_story/6410174/article-New-life-for-Xanadu---New-York-developer-may-jump-start-stalled-project-?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

A couple months ago I was working at an ad agency in the 601 building (a landmark NYC building on the west side of the Chelsea area of Manhattan). The agency happened to be right down the hall from the Xanadu main offices, which were vacant and unattended 90% of the time. The one time I saw a receptionist looking person behind their front desk I asked her about the state of the complex and if there was going to be a wind tunnel there. She totally stone walled me. I have a feeling things are not going well for them.