Bodyflight.Net

So... what's it like at SkyVenture Perris?

OMG.....
YOUR SO NOT CHOPPED LIVER!!! FORGIVE ME.. I"m still asleep from my travels.. it took us a WHOLE day to get home.. we missed our flights out... ANYWAY..

Mary you were SO WONDERFUL and you'll be PROUD to know I have my calendar displayed and am so secure in how I will be explaining it to my beautiful daughter.

YOU ARE WONDERFUL...

I met lotsa DZ.com JFTC'ers... but the thing is Mar... I already felt like I KNEW you:$:)

cannot believe there was a place for us to check our videos at the tunnel and NO ONE offered it but instead sent us to the Bombshelter... that sux

Who'd you ask?

I'm not sure I even understand what your saying... are you saying people fly right above the net so that when the speed changes in the tunnel on them, they don't have anywhere to fall and they can maintain their position more easily without interruption?? I certainly saw that in action while watching a 4 way team...

The more you arch the faster yo fall right? In the tunnel that means you decend. If you're arching so hard to stay at the level you want thatit's uncomfortable, or you can't move without poping up then asking for a wind speed reduction if the thing to do, after all if you were so de-arched to get of the net, you couldn't move, you'd ask for more wind, right? The optimum area to fly is about 3 to 4 feet off the net, giving you range either side (fast or slower flight) and leaving you well in frame for the video.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Who'd you ask?

I assure you I asked a staff member. I hope that no matter which one it was, they all provide the same answers.

and on the other note... you were saying then that the controller is accustomed to flyers asking for the appropriate amount of air to keep them in the 3-4ft range off the net, and that's what I could've/should've done so that I would've been in frame too?

Hey Dawn, I'm glad that you were able to fly at Skyventure Perris. With a little more flying experience in there, I'm sure that you would be able to get warmed up much quicker. The same can be said about controlling where you are flying (your levels), in order to be seen on the webcams, if that is important to you. It's all about adapting to your environment. Also, I must say that when compared to freefall, 2.5 minutes seems endless.

we were NOT allowed to fly at different levels from eachother... everytime I would go up above Rox to do our 2 way spin they would turn the air down and Scott would jump in to tell me to look at her eye to eye.

Dawn, your tunnel instructor was most likely concerned about your safety (since he doesn't know your level of flying), so he wanted for the two of you to communicate to each other with you eyes. You can certainly fly over others in the tunnel, Dawn. We do verticals and such all the time, but we always try to keep eye contact/communication with each other.

Regarding your video tape, did you ask a Tunnel Instructor where you could review your tapes, while you were still in the tunnel building and not the staff in the tunnel check-in building next door? (The SVP tunnel staff lurks these forums, btw.) The Skyventure Perris tunnel has several debriefing rooms, which are very professional and private, both upstairs and on the same floor as the actual tunnel flying chamber, in which you can review/debrief either your tapes and/or DVDs.

Perhaps, if you had to wait for the debriefing rooms to empty their groups of flyers, or if you were heading to the Bombshelter already, then I can see why you were pointed towards the Bombshelter. Also, teams who train in the tunnel, often use their team rooms to debrief, as you evidenced when you used Joao's VCR. That is why I love Perris, a person cannot walk a few feet without tripping over someone offering a VCR or a room in which to debrief. (We're so lucky! B|) Various tunnel flying friends and I have even reviewed/played our tapes at the Bombshelter several times, when we wanted to eat and drink after flying. (Good times!)

and on the other note... you were saying then that the controller is accustomed to flyers asking for the appropriate amount of air to keep them in the 3-4ft range off the net, and that's what I could've/should've done so that I would've been in frame too?

Regular flyers (both RW and freefly) can easily control their body enough to have it stay within the frame of the webcam. What happens with belly flyers, for instance, is once the controllers know that you or your group of flyers are at your resting point, if the flyer(s) are too high or too low in the tunnel, they will make sure that the right speed is used for that person's (persons') preferred fallrate. After they make an adjustment once, they can (and do) use that same speed for those flyer(s), every time those flyer(s) get into the tunnel during those sessions. This is provided that they are doing the same discipline, such as 4-way, the whole time. If they change their flying discipine, then the wind speed might change, as well.

It's up to the flyers to remain level to each other and to use the tunnel wisely. Experienced flyers don't have to work too hard on fallrate, since they can easily adjust/control their speed of flight due to skill/experience. Experienced flyers also don't reach or look for walls, like what you had mentioned in your prior post.

Dawn, I know that you fly for free in your tunnel and are used to having things a certain way over there, but new experiences are always good learning tools. I am glad that you had the experience at Skyventure
Perris, and that you enjoyed it for the most part. How wonderful and fun for you! Take care. :)

Rosa, I think your entire post was a crock of shit. Dawn has many, many hours in many windtunnels and her review of her experience really doesn't require a critique such as yours. No need to sharpshoot her, particularly at your experience level. If she didn't like the 2.5 minute rides, then she didn't like them. Same goes for the video coverage.

Ultimately, those who spend a lot of time in the cone become more accustomed to the strain on their body. In that regard, 2.5 minutes in the cone is laughable. I have spent many an HOUR in the cone working with students who were coming in and out. Yes, it's a lot of time compared to a skydive, but to people who really don't jump much (Paige, Dawn, John, and other "rats") 2.5 minutes can seem very constrained.

Keep it real, folks.

Chuck

Dawn, I know that you fly for free in your tunnel and are used to having things a certain way over there, but new experiences are always good learning tools. I am glad that you had the experience at Skyventure
Perris, and that you enjoyed it for the most part. How wonderful and fun for you! Take care.

FYI >:(I don't know where you get the idea that I fly for FREE at Appalachian Amusement Center but your wrong.... very wrong.

:SWhere's the sisterly love?????:S

(Hey Dawn, one moment...I'll get back to you!)

OK Chuck, we don't know each other too well, but if I have written something that is not accurate, then I will edit. Yes, I may only have 10 hours in the tunnel, but Dawn has sent various PMs to me asking me questions about Skyventure Perris and the flying, specifically, since we are both Tunnel Mafia delegates together.

Dawn, Rox, myself and others were actually supposed to fly in there TOGETHER that session (or a session that Friday night, actually), which is why I responded to her review posts. I was really looking forward to our flying session, but then her plans changed a little. She went in with Rox (splitting time), and her and I never flew together. For the record, Dawn herself has told me what she flies like in her tunnel. She told me that she doesn't turn points (like RW flyers), but she flies in there however she'd like, doing all kinds of beautiful flying disciplines (freestyle?).

I was explaining in return how things are in our tunnel because her prior posts and PM have had her asking various questions. I thought that it would be rude for me to not answer her back ever. After all, if I went to her tunnel and asked questions, since I sort-of know her (via e-mails/PMs), then I would expect her to be one of the people to answer my questions.

Dawn has exchanged PMs with me about our tunnel differences and our different ways of flying. I have not been able to answer as much as she probably wanted to know because she asks so many specific questions. I answered only about what I know, in particular.

Also, I never flown with Dawn, but I know all about her background. She has also told me personally. All three of us (Paige, Dawn and myself) know that we are all different with our disciplines and flying, and we all have that understanding.

Anyway, I would think that Dawn has asked me questions about SVP in past PMs because she trusts that I'll write to her what I know about that tunnel as a friend, not as an expert. Likewise, I would think that she had asked other's opinions in posts or PMs because she was wanting to compare her experience and others at their level. If you are saying that my opinion is a crock of shit because I don't have as many hours are you or Dawn, then I can always delete my opinion. I waited for a while before I answered because I was wondering if I could share my opinion or not.

Dawn, I just saw your post, and please PM me because I was told that was a fact. I thought that was awesome, but I don't mean to offend. I would never have posted that you fly for free, if you don't. (I'll edit.) Also, I knew that you went to Perris to experience a new tunnel and wanted a lot of feedback. You told me that you wanted to post about your SVP experience, not PM about it, so others could read it, too. Unfortunately, I have offended you, so I apologize for that.

Dawn, I won't be responding to more of your posts (PMs are fine) because mine was taken in a way that was not intended. Good luck with all & take care, girl!

Rosa sweetie,
I wish we could've met while we were there... I would then understand where this came from. I asked about the operating procedures.. not flying.

Ahhh...ok, I understand now...it's ok, girl. No worries. (I don't know how else to answer you.) You know that you can always PM me...or call, someday, I hope.

Well actually we prefer that the request be made to the instructor as it keeps them in the loop, but yes, flyer requests are usually accomodated when relating to airspeed.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.