dicksog

Bodyflight Tunnel UK: I've just flown it!!

Ok, first things first, I've got about 2-3 hrs in the Orlando tunnel but none since they've upgraded the motors.

The Bodyflight tunnel just north of Bedford in the UK is absolutely awesome.

The air is consistently smooth, non of the dropouts or sudden updraughts I got in Orlando. This maybe a feature of re-circulating tunnels, but until there's another no way to tell.

I went with three other people, we're a team next year, and have done several jumps together over the summer. They let us fly together, after individual checkout dives and I wouldn't expect anything less(!), the sixteen foot diameter allowed even a relatively tunnel inexperienced (50% tunnel virgins!!!) team to fly together without constantly banging the walls, unless we were doing something wrong. The front of our Sidebody (P) floats!!

All four of us came out with grins The Cheshire Cat would envy. We were doing Sattelite-Sidebody-Star with relative ease (see above for the P) and the added diameter highlighted something immediately, that we wouldn't have spotted in 12 feet. I have tried a bipole-540-bipole in Orlando and my knees still flinch at the memory.

Again I haven't been in the Orlando tunnel with the new motors, but it struggled with a four way on the old ones, in the Bedford one we asked them to turn it down!!! There's a lot of GO in that tunnel and plenty of room as well.

I couldn't be happier if I was a pig in S**t.

Well done to Paul and the team even though they're not open AND it was Staff training night, they were professional, courteous, safety conscious and on the ball.

Go buy time NOW, you won't regret it, and to our friends across the pond, Yours may have been first but for once Ours is bigger AND better.

dicksog (with big grin)
p.s. off to see bank manager in the morning

Thats weird, sounds exactly like my evening last night!!!! (I was one of the virgins and before you say it, yes, beer is owed!!!)

I have nothing to compare it to but it was amazing - comments from people who did know included "cleanest air ever" and it was amazing watching people do sitflying in there - apparently they can stick you to the ceiling if they crank it up.

But the grin is still here this morning (as are the aching muscles) and i am about to route my salary straight to Paul to cut out the middleman...

Sorry arizona, you get title of biggest tunnel for about a week!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

SOunds just like my night too...... strange that!

I can only compare it to the tunnel in Perris ( I have done an hour in there) and this is soooooooo much better it's out of sight.

And dicksog, what do you mean the front of our sidebody floats???? I think the back end is full of fat b**tards!

Sorry arizona, you get title of biggest tunnel for about a week!

Ft. Bragg had a 14 footer long before SkyVenture was even thought of.

To bad this tunnel is in the UK....But I guess with the WX you need a tunnel:P
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

But is Ft Bragg available to the general public?

Anyone else ever seen sit and flat doing formations in a tunnel before. Then there was the Knee Flying, Flat, and that "dark side" thing where they've got arms out to either side, bent over with a leg going backwards and one straight down (i like fs ok), all together in the tunnel at the same time!!!! AND he's only running on half power!

As for photos, Paul put some up here
http://bodyflight.co.uk/fly.jpg
http://bodyflight.co.uk/fly2.jpg
http://bodyflight.co.uk/fly3.jpg
http://bodyflight.co.uk/fly4.jpg

WANT ANOTHER GO!

Ooops, forgot, Bodyflight 16ft

But is Ft Bragg available to the general public?

Nope, but that makes it even more special:P

Anyone else ever seen sit and flat doing formations in a tunnel before. Then there was the Knee Flying, Flat, and that "dark side" thing where they've got arms out to either side, bent over with a leg going backwards and one straight down (i like fs ok), all together in the tunnel at the same time!!!! AND he's only running on half power!

[YAWN]

WANT ANOTHER GO!

Sure, see I can get into your tunnel if I have money....

Ooops, forgot, Bodyflight 16ft

Bragg...no walls.

Look, I'm happy you Britts finaly have a tunnel, and I'm glad it seems to be nice. But just cause you got a toy we have had for years its not like its a big event for us....We are kinda bored with them now, hell, we even build them in the middle of a desert
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

To(o) bad this tunnel is in the UK....But I guess with the WX you need a tunnel

That's rather a narrow minded approach. Imagine if us Europeans had said, "Nice tunnel(s), but it's a shame that it's (they're) in the USA" How about coming over and checking us out, like we've been doing for years.

Look, I'm happy you Britts finaly have a tunnel, and I'm glad it seems to be nice. But just cause you got a toy we have had for years its not like its a big event for us....We are kinda bored with them now, hell, we even build them in the middle of a desert

Yes, we're happy that we have a tunnel here in the UK. (Soon to have 2!)
I would doubt that the poster was trying to belittle what you have over there, unlike the impression that you're giving to us with your posts.

It really is impressive. I have flown in 5 VWTs, and I think that this is the best one I've been in so far. I hope to try out Eloy in October.
-----------------------
Connextion: British 8 Way Team
www.bodyflight.co.uk
-----------------------

Me too.... it's lovely...

(context: I have about 25-30 hours in Orlando, Perris, Paris and Switzerland)

In the little that i did fly, I found the airspeed constant throughout. It's comparable to the good air that you find in Orlando and Perris. There was no fluctuation in the airspeed due to outside factors (like temperature and winds) as it's a sealed, recirculating unit. It's certainly better than Paris, which does have soft air around the outside and has very strong air up the middle.

I didn't manage to fly right up to the edge (that's tail's job) but knowing Paul as I do, he wouldn't be happy unless it was constant all the way around.

We have some 4 way planned tonight, so I may be able to tell much better after that.

The airspeed and temperature have been measured all the way around (16') and all the way up (25') and from what I hear it's all within a gnat's knacker. I'm sure Paul would be happy to share exact detail for those fluid dynamicists amongst you. :P
-----------------------
Connextion: British 8 Way Team
www.bodyflight.co.uk
-----------------------

That's rather a narrow minded approach. Imagine if us Europeans had said, "Nice tunnel(s), but it's a shame that it's (they're) in the USA" How about coming over and checking us out, like we've been doing for years.

#1 did you bother to even notice the smiley at the end? I bet not. See the little guy sticking his tounge out is meant as a joke.

#2. Why would I make a trip the the UK to fly in a tunnel when I have one less than an hour away? Now if I happen to be in the UK and have spare time from seeing all the REALLY SPECIAL things I could only see there...Like Big Ben, Stonehenge, Abby road..ect I would try it. But just because its a skydiving related thingy does not automaticly make it a must do for me. Definatly not worth a trip on its own.

#3. You guys came to the states to fly in the tunnels here since you DIDN'T HAVE ONE OVER THERE. I am willing to bet that once you have two in Jolly old England that you will stop comming over as much just to tunnel. So why go there when we have them here?

Yes, we're happy that we have a tunnel here in the UK. (Soon to have 2!)

Great, I'm glad you guys are getting them as well.

I would doubt that the poster was trying to belittle what you have over there, unlike the impression that you're giving to us with your posts.

Really? Well he did say this right? "Go buy time NOW, you won't regret it, and to our friends across the pond, Yours may have been first but for once Ours is bigger AND better. "

Then the next guy wrote "Sorry arizona, you get title of biggest tunnel for about a week!"

Seems so far they both are making light harted jabs at our tunnels.

And to answer that I responded "Ft. Bragg had a 14 footer long before SkyVenture was even thought of.

To bad this tunnel is in the UK....But I guess with the WX you need a tunnel:P"

And if you would care to notice there is a smiley in there?.....And its also true. Bragg has been around like 12 years, so AZ was not the biggest for a week AND English Weather sucks...It was both funny AND true.

You were so quick to jump in and try and bash me that you missed that me and the other two were doing playful banter.

I'm really glad you have a tunnel. But just cause you have one is not something that is gonna make me all excited.

Sorry you got your knickers in a twist and felt all defensive and decided to take a light harted banter and felt the need to attack people for it.

Edit since Big Ben does not have a "D" at the end....I tell ya between being stupid and typing fast I'm really screwed:P

I'D LIKE TO POINT OUT THE SMILEYS

saw the Smiley - but i am curious - what is this Big Bend you speak of?!?!?! :D:P

Its a REALLY secret bar only known to a select few people??????

Damn busted again:P

The Big Bend Bar huh? didn't know you swung that way! :P

I didn't know it was that type of bar either, never been to England...But you recomended it so much.....Hey wait, YOU WERE HITTING ON ME.....:o

spare time from seeing all the REALLY SPECIAL things I could only see there...Like Big Ben...

Sorry to point this out to you, but foreigner aren't allowed to see Big Ben, you can see the Clock Tower which is part of Westminister Palace which houses it though ;)

...guess that means you'll have time to visit the tunnel then :P

Sorry to point this out to you, but foreigner aren't allowed to see Big Ben, you can see the Clock Tower which is part of Westminister Palace which houses it though ;)

Thats it...I ain't goin'.

First a guy tries to get me to go to a gay bar with him, now you won't let me see Big Ben.....OK, now that I think about it....Gay bar, Big Ben....Maybe I DON'T wanna see "Big Ben":o

Whoa! :o

Let's get back to the subject matter, the Bodyflight tunnel. We can poke fun at each other elsewhere.

At the moment we're like kids locked in a sweetie (candy) shop and we've just realised we're stuck in here for the WHOLE of the Christmas holidays! B|

It's a really good tunnel and I don't think the people that have been in it yet have come close to what can be done in it. It's only been testing for a week!

Ron, if you do come over give us a shout and I'm sure I could try and introduce to the delights of warm beer, whilst we discuss our differences. Even prepared to take you to the original Boston and buy you a cup of tea ;) but I have to admit to preferring your Boston!

Ron, if you do come over give us a shout and I'm sure I could try and introduce to the delights of warm beer, whilst we discuss our differences. Even prepared to take you to the original Boston and buy you a cup of tea but I have to admit to preferring your Boston!

OK, if you come to Zhills we'll....Well there really is not shit to do in Zhills....So we can go to Disney and drink our way around the "World" at EpcotB|

Ok...
Just to add my 2(insert local currency here)
Flew in Bodyflight last night doing some 4-way, and ditto the comments from Guy and other tunnel junkies above. Smooth and fast air, great vibe, and huge area to fly in. 4-way geeks -we did block 1 no probs. A little cheated at the back, but more to do with me being 6' 5" than tunnel being too small!

Paul and team are working flat out to ensure they have a world class, safe and friendly facility and from what I've seen they are right on track.

Looking forward to the future when the (two new) tunnels impact on the UK skydiving scene can be seen in terms of scores/ability etc etc.
B|

I have some video, I'll try and upload it soon. URL to follow..

Chris
www.southparc.co.uk