chutem

A "humbling" experience

I did 10 min starting to learn "back flying" at SVAZ and it was a very "humbling" experience. towards the end of the 10 minutes I was getting up off the net, but was very much not in control. The tunnel instructors did a very nice job of trying to make me feel better about what just happened as I was obviously discouraged. I fully understand that this is a slow process and can hardly wait to get in there and try again. Belly flying on the other hand has been a jump in and have fun type deal. (maybe because almost all my jumps are belly;)) My advise for anyone trying back flying in the tunnel for the first time is to pay very good attention to the instructor before going into the tunnel. He/she will be giveing you a much longer "dive flow" since you will be in the tunnel for more than a regular skydive. I'm not saying that I didn't pay attention just that I should have went over it a few more times as there were times when I had difficulty understanding what I was to be doing. Hopefully you get what I mean, there is a lot to remember in a 10 min "flight". Has anyone got advise for me for when I try again? It won't be long.

same as any other form of skydiving.. relax, breathe and dont try so hard...;) its amazing how fast you'll 'click' once you stop fightng the wind, trying to hold a stiff position and relax into the basic position.. also.. small movements and inputs are VERY helpful...

Hi James. When I stated back flying I noticed I had an arch in my back, pushing my belly towards the top of the tunnel. This "de-arching" definitely caused the same instability that a de-arch would cause on your belly, potato chipping etc. I found it easier to have an a more rounded back. Very similar to an arch on your belly. Air flows around the body better. Also make sure that you hips and knees are at 90 degrees, as well as your arms and shoulder angles. Lift is provided by opening your hips and shoulders. Ray can really help in the tunnel so if you see him, see what it would take to get some coaching. He's a great tunnel coach. Keep your head back to control your stability, many people look at their feet and this causes instability, because the body folds up. You guys always seem to have so much fun, so don't be discouraged, the tunnel is whole new world. Thanks for fixing the boat. It works just great. See you at the dz and I will be calling about splitting some time in the tunnel (aka : backyard crackhouse)
Paul

Thanks for the advice guys! I can hardly wait to try it again. Relax and stop thinking so hard is probably a big part of it. I very well may be de-arching my back as I come off the net, I'll keep that in mind. I've got a few things to think about till I get back in.
See you in the sky,
James

I did 10 min starting to learn "back flying"

LOL! I did the same thing at Perris a while back. That was the moment I decided I would specialize in belly flying! :)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

This might be a stupid question...but did you get it videoed? If so, go through it with one of the tunnel instructors or a freefly coach afterwards. There are many who would oblige for a beer or two.

On the humbling aspect of it...I know what you mean.... After 1200 flat jumps I did 10 minutes or so on my back and felt (and looked) like a stranded roach. Getting up off the net to leave the chamber was especially cool. There's nothing like splatting yourself onto the perspex to get the attention of the people outside ;) 'Bug on a windscreen' was a much-quoted phrase that afternoon, and for some time to come. Hmm. Not cool, but definitely entertaining. [:/]