Mockingbird

Will a wind tunnel help me pass AFF Level 4?

I was beginning to think my post was invisible

Many of us are a "fix the problem and move on kinda folk".

We will be here waiting for your next problem;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Many of us are a "fix the problem and move on kinda folk".
We will be here waiting for your next problem

:DMakes sense.

I already know what my next problem is going to be: back loops and tracking...
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

I already know what my next problem is going to be: back loops and tracking...

They aren't 'problems', they are a fun new thing to learn and master on your first try. Keep it positive, visualize doing it right. Don't visualize what could go wrong - basic sports psychology. corny but true

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

OH! I know you're right about that! I've been reading Rosalia's book on Mental Training. It reallllllllly helped me do well on the last two jumps. What you saw in that last post was a temporary relapse into pessimism! :o Darn. That's something I have to work on constantly... I'm naturally very pessimistic, especially about what I can do.

Thanks for the reminder.:)

Wow, you're so lucky to be close to the tunnel. If you use it, you probably won't have to repeat ANY of your levels. I figured I spent at least $2200 just for the Level 4 repeats plus the trip to Perris. Incredible! If I had only gone to the tunnel sooner, I could've saved myself close to $700.

Live and learn... [:/]

I'm just happy to have finally made it over this hump!

I just got back from my tunnel time and I can't wait to do the jump. Stability was an issue for a few minutes, but i was able to hold a heading well and move forward well. Moving backwards was tricky, but it seemed that it was ususally from me plowing into my coach and losing the column of air above her. Moving up and down was a really interesting feeling... even though I didn't have the best control over it. I want more tunnel time already.

Here's to hoping I pass on the first time!
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Hi, I am now at level 9 with 16 jumps but did 6 level 4 jumps each time with similar problems. I received the same message that you did from the folks at the DZ. It will come......hang in there. More than just a few of the folks there had suggested spending time in a wind tunnel, and I finally took their advice. It was well worth the trip to North Carolina and the $300.00 for 30 minutes of air time . I received excellent coaching and a videotape that I found to be very useful. The coaching and video were included in the fee. I think that for me this was a great way to go.
Hope that you get through this "stuck point". Blue skies.

Sean George
Pennsylvania

Hi, Sean. Gee, you and I both did Level 4 six times and were "fixed" by the wind tunnel! So you know how I felt failing time after time. It sure feels GREAT to succeed! It's so much more fun. :o

So, have you done your back loops? How did that go? I'll be doing that this coming weekend.

Glad you wrote, and congratulations on your progress!!! :D

Glad that you are moving forward! I did the back flips and barrel rolls and I will not be diving in the Olympics anytime soon. I was told though that the Jumpmaster looks more at the ability to regain control after losing it, (Something that I am quite good at) rather than the perfect execution of a roll or flip. I just did my solo last weekend and it was great. I have to tell ya', the support that I received from fellow jumpers was largely responsible for my not giving up. What a great bunch of folks!!!!!! BLUE SKIES!!

Sean George

My 10 minutes of tunnel time worked out perfectly -- I passed level 4 today. Exit altitude was 12,800, I was released by 11,000 and was perfectly stable and on heading [save 10-20 degree left from 6,000 to 5,000 when locked on] until deploy altitude. Landed without radio, flared properly and landed standing up. Score!
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

My 10 minutes of tunnel time worked out perfectly -- I passed level 4 today. Exit altitude was 12,800, I was released by 11,000 and was perfectly stable and on heading [save 10-20 degree left from 6,000 to 5,000 when locked on] until deploy altitude. Landed without radio, flared properly and landed standing up. Score!

Hoodyraydums! :)
Didn't it feel great to fly without turning? Oooo, I love it!

I sure will, Paraman! Thanks for caring. Good luck with yours, too!! I hope to do mine this weekend--- we have a long weekend because of Labor Day on Monday, so maybe I can get both levels 6 & 7 done! I hope, I hope, I hope! :)