Rettrae

I learned a lot in tunnel time--- now, why am I rocking back and forth?

I am having trouble with basic stable arch position-went to tunnel for 10 minutes and learned a lot! But, as I watch the video I am noticing that I am rocking back and forth, my head dipping low then up while my knees dip low. It gets better when I make sure my chin is up and the rest of my body seems to look ok. Its hard to describe without seeing it, I'm taking the video out to my DZ next weekend for some advice. Also when I did my turns, learned that a little bit of movement goes a long way! Good thing to remember. I am totally going back soon--this is probably the only way I am going to get comfortable with freefall. Great people there, I would recommend Perris to anybody nearby. B|

hard to say without seeing video, but you might be doing the classic 'potato chip' and if so it is generally caused by being to rigid with your body position.. you have to learn to breath and relax into your arch.. stable does not equal stiff

i used to have that same problem after i came out of a track. one good deep breath always did it for me. just relax, that's what worked for me at least, i'm sure your coaches will give you a much more detailed answer. good luck
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

What Zenstier said. It's hard to tell without video.

I don't know much, but when I breath and relax, my body position is so much better. Before taking a grip in a sit or head down, I take a deep breath to relax myself and prepare. That's what works for me

Breath, relax, know you can do it (as you proved in the tunnel). Talk with your instructor about it, I'm sure they have GREAT advice.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Like Zen said, it is usually due to being rigid, just arch and relax.

I didn't do tunnel until I had like 50 jumps, most of which were dedicated RW coach jumps, so I can't relate to being a student in the tunnel, but this is very common in the air.

To quote a cheesy movie, "...let the air sculpt your body position." :P
________________________________________________________________________________
when in doubt... hook it!

I can't relate to being a student in the tunnel, but this is very common in the air.

If you don't think you're a student of the tunnel (I am and have 25+ hrs., I just realized I know nothing about flying, still very much a student), your progression may suffer, no one hinders your flying except yourself.

You should always be a student, always learning, you'll never be so good in the tunnel that you should stop learning and asking questions.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

"student" meaning unlicensed skydiver

Then don't write student, it'll avoid confusion. Being a "student" has nothing to do with jumping from airplanes and everything to do with a willingness to learn. I definitely consider myself to be a student, regardless of having a skydiving license or not.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

"student" meaning unlicensed skydiver

Then don't write student, it'll avoid confusion. Being a "student" has nothing to do with jumping from airplanes and everything to do with a willingness to learn. .

not really, being a 'student' implies you are generally enrolled in an accepted learning program. Once you are 'released' from direct supervision by an instructor (aka licensed, graduate etc) the term generally doesnt apply..

YOU may prefer the think of yourself as a 'student' because you are always learning new things, but honestly that makes the term rather meaningless as EVERYONE is ALWAYS a student then....:S

I'm sorry I must have missed the tunnel-rat A license progression card last time I was there. :S

:D:D Don't take thing so seriously :S;):D

The progression you 'missed' at the tunnel (and what Ari was speaking of) is the progression of your own bodyflight skills. You should never stop being a student or progressing, push yourself to always improve instead of being complacent.

**Not saying you do any of this, I'm just throwing advice into a public forum for response. Please don't take this to heart, it can be applied to EVERYONE. As I said before, I've spent a ton of time in there and still feel like a student, progressing through bodyflight skills.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

You know, that sport that requires a rig and some form of aircraft? :|

I hope it makes you feel better puttin other people down. You are soooo cool. Get a life >:( I never said anything mean to you.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

but honestly that makes the term rather meaningless as EVERYONE is ALWAYS a student then....:S

I feel there are very few people out there that can afford to stop being students. Anyone who shows a willingness to learn anything can be considered a student. Why can't everyone be a student and always learning from one another to bring the sport to a whole new level?

I'm not trying to argue here, just wondering why that can't be? There are a few skydivers out there than 'have it down' and actually really do. The rest of us (majority) should always be students, why is that bad?
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

because it's meaningless for discussion purposes and does nothing to help anyone understand your actual ability level.. should we all change our profiles to say 'student'? even those with multiple coach ratings??

look at it this way.. i've been fencing for almost 20 years, i've coached both formally and informally at several salles and colleges world wide and participated in a couple of actual duels..:S...

yes, absolutely i still study every new (to me) resource i come across, take lessons whenever i can and DO still learn every time i fence even against a rank beginner..

but i would be completely misrepresenting myself if i walked into a new salle and said "hi, i'm a student fencer" :D I actually felt bad the one time i did this to a demonstration team at a Renaissance Fest.. the crowd laughed, but really disarming him did more harm to the demo than good... at least one person said "see I told you it was easy!!" [:/]

the difference is, when someone says "i am a student" it generally means "I am a student {inset field} skydiver, fencer, cook, teacher etc..." (still learning the basics) not "I am a student of {insert field} (continuing to refine ones skill level)

i mean sure it might be a great joke on the coaches, but what would be the benefit of a member of airspeed (assuming they were not recognized) signing up as a participant for a beginner (student) tunnel class??

not really, being a 'student' implies you are generally enrolled in an accepted learning program. Once you are 'released' from direct supervision by an instructor (aka licensed, graduate etc) the term generally doesnt apply..

I happen to agree with this statement.. This IS a skydiving website.. the term Student would refer to an AFF student.. or even a Coaching student.. shouldn't be too confusing.

I don't think of myself as a student in the tunnel..even though I am always learning or trying to learn.

and I've flown with & seen people who think of themselves as students.. but who still didn't listen to a thing the instructor/coach had to say!

I guess I qualify more as an "apprentice" at this point in my flying career... ;)

I'm with you on the fencing analogy- I got ya now, just looking for clarification, sorry it was late last night, I was beat.

I have taught tennis at a professional level since I was in 6th grade. I'm now 24 and that has been my main job until recently. I still consider myself a student of the game, no matter how much money I could have or did make playing tennis at the professional level. I would however, also never tell someone that I was a student of tennis in regards to my ability. I think its more of a mind set maybe who knows.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

This IS a skydiving website.. the term Student would refer to an AFF student.. or even a Coaching student.. shouldn't be too confusing.

We are in the Wind Tunnel Forum :P;)
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Yes.. but as you may have noticed;) we pretty much talk here about how VWTS relate to Skydiving

It's important to remember on here.. for me at least.. that I am mostly exchanging words with folks who tunnel fly to become better skydivers... most don't even think of the tunnel as it's own sport..:(
(as was illustrated beautifully in a recent poll. "Why do you fly in VWTs")

Ya know I love ya.. but I don't think of you as a student either..;) If I did.. that would mean that you can't yet fly unassisted.. and that is NOT the case!:)

Yes.. but as you may have noticed;) we pretty much talk here about how VWTS relate to Skydiving

Damn, I hate logic :D:D;)

most don't even think of the tunnel as it's own sport..:(
(as was illustrated beautifully in a recent poll. "Why do you fly in VWTs")

I can understand this view (as lame as I think it is, its cool). I can see where they are coming from. I think what they may forget, is that bodyflight (in reference to those that don't jump) isn't trying to be skydiving. It doesn't need to be, its enjoyable in its own right.

Ya know I love ya.. but I don't think of you as a student either..;) If I did.. that would mean that you can't yet fly unassisted.. and that is NOT the case!:)

:D;)

I flail unassisted :D:D Actually, I'm really good at that, esp. in your tunnel! :D It was super fun still! I can't wait to get another crack at it for more than one hour.

I'm workin on the hip thing, its soooo slow :( but getting better every day. I forget I broke 3/4 of what holds the middle part of your body together, as far as hinges/joints go. My plates are really funky, one is a rectabgle to span the width of the break, then the second spans the heighth of the crack- it its 3 small circles stacked on top of one another. I done messed it up good :( but I'm getting better :)
Don't ever break your acetabulum, for any reason, it hurts :( I think my little cousin put it best on his card he made for me when I was in the hospital. The cover (including kid art-which is the absolute coolest in my book!) simply said, "Skydiving Hurts." I couldn't stop laughing!!!!!!!!! It doesn't always hurt but I couldn't really disagree with him at the moment broken in the hospital bed :D

:)
Anyway, I like apprentice as a better description :)
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com