snowman01

new tunnel

Hey guys. I need some opinions here. I am located in the poconos pensylvannia. i am considering putting a wind tunnel up. i have been looking at the skyventure, but know that there are other options available. I just want your opinions on the different tunnels. it definitely needs to be closed circuit. thanks in advance. any comments is greatly appreciated.:)

Yes, recirrculaing air is the way to go. $6 million should cover the whole thing.
Let us know when you break ground;)
We'll all be there:)

i am just trying to figure out if the poconos are ready for such a thing and a way to come up with some money.

Ahhhh the beauty of market research. Too bad it was the least interesting thing that I learned in colleg:(. Of course your subject is Tunnels which may make it tolerable. I had to do organic food :( Good luck with PA!
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Hi,

Please don't make the mistakes of so many before you.. I could list dozens of tunnels who did NOT allow enough money in thier budget to operate for at least 1 year, and who are now a faint memory in almost NO ONE'S memory... a years cushion is EXTREMELY advisable if you wish to stay open long term...
Income potential is limited with most tunnels available but not all.. there are only so many minutes you can sell in a single flight area in a day, this is often overlooked in the beginning stages of research (I have no idea how far along you are).. so remember too look at the facility as being able to serve MULTI purposes.. Build additional complimentary businesses into the complex.. the chances of your success will be greater.. a cafe/coffee shop is a great way to get people visiting, watching & spending money even if they aren't flying.. create a bigger market than just Tshirts & the sale of High Speed Air.. I'm sure you get what I mean...

Just a couple of thoughts for you now..
Pink Suits, Blue Skies & Fast Air,
Dawn Suiter PMTS #3
http://www.bodyflight.net/profiles/DawnSuiter

i dont know what the hell i am doing

Well.. while I can certainly understand the magnitude of doing the market research.. it is certainly wise then for you NOT to plan on opening a tunnel and only considering the possibility for a while... most of today's stable operations were researched for several months before the decision was finally made..to buy. THEN the decision moves to which one.. until recently there hasn't been many choices, but fortunatly there is a good range of quality tunnels now.

If you can't think bigger, then I would hold back.. it's not a great idea to put all your eggs in one basket..

Dawn Suiter PMTS #3

skyventure has investor guides and I do know that there's a plan for a recurriculating tunnel in N.J.
One guy (non skydiver) who is going in on $6 million. There was no availability to invest with this guy. It is propsed to be connected an indoor sports arena/moto-park.
Location will= survival.

yeah they are putting a tunell by the meadowlands in jersey. supposedly they will have 2 tunnels in there. i have not been that way in a while but they are building some huge complex with an indoor water park, 2 tunnels, and a ski slope all indoors. i am sure that will do really well there.

Is it okay to link you on the Pink Mafia Tunnel website?

We have a Links Page: http://www.pinkmafiatunnel.com/Links.aspx

i would need a small logo, unless I can steal one from the site. Just let me know please, I would like to get all tunnels involved and at the least promoted in some way.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

No Paul.. it hasn't but Duncan has been working on it for years, I'm sure you've heard..there have been delays..

I've spoken with him at length on the design.. quite amazing.. there are a couple of details where we can see that they might not work out.. but he assures me his engineers have "accounted" for these details and should not be hindered. No I shouldn't go into details.. but anybody should be able to see what I'm talking about by the pictures of the new version (their website may still reflect the old model)

IF IN FACT these machines perform as indicated by Duncan.. they are gonna ROCK! I mean absolutely be the best and finest and most well thought out piece of portable equipment there ever was or will be... the power supply would have to be modified for use in the US for sure.. but they have it all worked out for over in SA

will they make it? I hope so.. but I feel the deadlines are ambitious.... certainly on the stationary unit that is coming "next year"

Paige.. in all my years of doing webstuff.. the only time you need to ask to link to someone is if you want a link back. everyone wants you to link to their site from yours!!!

Dawn Suiter PMTS #3

check out www.freefallers.com

1/6 the price and mobile

Is this a mobile that has ever been built?

Even if one of those mobiles EVER gets completed, it will still only have a 2.1 m (6.8 feet) diameter cone. That, taken directly from thier website. I would be very interested to see how that makes it around the corner that tight and stays steady out that open venturi. That thing will be the typical "carnival attraction" in my opinion.

Chuck

I would be very interested to see how that makes it around the corner that tight and stays steady out that open venturi.

Agreed... not that it's not possible.. but the efficiency loss will have to be countered with horsepower.. and I don't see that happening in such a tight space.. we've studied the 90 degree turn on other units and man what a waste of HP!!! The original design involved a more traditional intake at the bottom.. even an intake at the BACK would only require a 45 degree turn which would be better and easier to maintain the flow of..

The main concern I have now is that they are selling flight time before ever finishing the first unit.. this strikes me as a financial crunch.. I mean.. everyone should realize, it's always possible to build these and then they don't work.. I've surely seen it.

The carnival part is true.. but not typical.. if this works 'as planned'.. it'll put ALL portable VWTs to shame.. and as I told Duncan, we would be proud to endorse his machines.

But for now, like the 16 others in construction/development.. it's a waiting game!

Dawn Suiter PMTS #3

if this works 'as planned'.. it'll put ALL portable VWTs to shame.

How so? How do you think this will be any different than any other open-venturi portable? It's probable (because of the prop used) that the air might be less choppy, but it's still a very-small cone. Also, I am still confused as to the actual power source. The fan motor is electric, but what is going to power that? A big diesel generator? Or is it possible they think they will be able to simply plug into the power grid at whatever location they truck that thing to? At any rate, the product they propose doesn't seem "revolutionary" in any way as far as I can tell.

On the same note as this (uncompleted tunnels), does anyone have any idea what happened to Fruce's plan to get Marrisa's tunnel up in Elsinore? Now THAT was going to be a proper Fort Bragg-type tunnel!

Chuck

The idea behind a portable tunnel is function.. no tourists, first timers, or carnival goers care about "choppy" and frankly that's where the money is.. you can make 150-200K a month with a good portable!! and only with a crew of 3.. that's WAY better than the average stationary tunnel..

now better in the sense of flow and function.. training room, video system, instructor comfort, portable bathroom, functional airbag storage system (that's a big upgrade there).. a complete unit that accommodates everything you need to live & work on the road and is nice to look at.. Traveling with portables in not a a great way to live.. TRUST ME.. been there done it... but these guys have it all figured out.... and with Duncan being a business man not a flyer or skydiver, I'm really impressed with his plan. A 6 or 7 foot air column is plenty for my type, and the tourist type, regardless if choppy or not.. prop jobbies don't scare me!;)

They have locations setup for the tunnels going in SA.. these locations are ready for the 'plugging in' of the tunnel.. no gennys needed.. now here in the states that's a different story. but over there he has it worked out. These may be portable but he'll be setting them up to stay at locations.

Fruce seemed to 'disappear' from radar.. no clue there.. other than the project itself was fairly large.. would've guessed in the 4-6 mil range from the looks of it.. that's quite an undertaking for anyone..

is it true that Bragg cost more than 10 mil back when it was built?? Do you know?

Dawn Suiter PMTS #3

is it true that Bragg cost more than 10 mil back when it was built?? Do you know?

I can believe that easily! - I have seen docs etc from our tunnel origins and I would bet that even 30years earlier that much was spent by the MOD here.

Just as an aside... we also have unearthed the original construction pics for our site!! yayy! and they are awesome. If youre interested I can post a couple or email them to you.

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Hi All

Perhaps it's time I joined in this conversation. Firstly, the mobile units from Freefallers are primarily designed as a form of public entertainment, but this does not mean the design skimped on the quality of the airflow. There is a lot happening inside the airflow system that is not revelaed on the website for what should be obvious reasons. We are aware of the power losses resulting frm 90 degree bends and we have dealt with those losses in an inventive manner which will probably surprise you when you see it.

Regarding the power source: original designs used diesel engines but with the constantly rising fuel prices, a decision was taken earlier this year to switch to electric. This reduces engine running costs to 25% of the diesel costs. We also don't have emmissions to deal with, or 12'000 litre on board fuel tanks which have an inherint danager attached to them.

The locations identified to setup mobile units all have 3-phase power supplies, and we do provide a number of extremely long power extension cables. The mobile units have power meters to record the consumption in order that you know exactly how much to pay the venue.

On the issue of pre-selling rides and our funding status: Freefallers is a public company in South Africa which therefore has to comply with numerous legislations. AS a director I can be held personally liable for inappropriate activities, and as such...these are avoided for not only legal reasons but moral reasons.

Money from the pre-sale of rides is kept in a trust account, and the whole purpose behind the idea is:
1. Proving a point to investors about tunnel popularity
2. Securing an income channel before we hit the market - a bit like hedging your bets
3. Allowing the public to secure tunnel time

Freefallers is in business to provide entertainment to the public and in doing so, to generate profits. However we also would like to promote skydving as a sport and hope to attract new comers to the sport. We have been plagued by start-up problems as many businesses are, but too much has been invested buy too many people to give up and leave the project. We missed our initial launch in December 2003 for reasons posted on the website, but we have set new dates and are working towards those.

I know that I mentioned to Dawn Suiter that we were expecting to open the first fixed tunnel in mid-2006 but we were recently contacted by the owners of a local adventure park which is opening in December this year. They want to install a sim as their main attraction and we are currently working with them to help them meet their goals. As always it's about the money...but they are well funded so we are now turning to issues such as design and market.

Anyone with questions about Freefallers is welcome to contact us...as long as those uestions do not relate to revealing how we overcame the problems inherint in generating smooth air flow in the mobile unit.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." -- Voltaire