Cookiemunster

Wind Tunnel in Colorado

This tunnel stuff is overrated Dan, spend your money on a velocity.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:I kind of like having the tunnel around. It means I don't have to jump when it's cold. Besides, it's job security for me;)

Dan under a Velocity. That would be entertainment:ph34r:

Grant, you need to come back out and visit me!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Ohh we will. You can be sure of that. There are several of us travelling to Cal City to do some jumps this next weekend, so we will be slightly broke for a little while, but we will continue to try and do the one hour a month thing if possible, and if we get enough interest maybe even more.

I think Dan would be ok under a velocity untill it came time to land. hahaha I think he is getting a sabre 2 170 or something like that sometime soon. I'll have him swooping downwind and doing freestyle in no time. HA! See you soon.

Grant

I know how slow you are under canopy... And how much slower you are going to be since you haven't jumped in awhile. This tunnel stuff is overrated Dan, spend your money on a velocity.

Keep talkin your trash there chunky butt;), but last time I checked even with my slow ass under a Pilot 210 I'm out-swoopin most guys that downsized to a 150 too fast, don't hate me cuz I'm good:P. And quit talkin about me in ballet shoes and a skin tight jumpsuit, that was supposed to be a private show:P.

You really wanna see whats up Grant lets go turn some points, didn't you forget a three point dive last time we flew together?;)

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Round inner round is about the best I can do man. If it's not an AFF student or a hop and pop then I really have no idea what I'm doing out there. You are right though about your swoops. I'm proud like a parent of your canopy control. If you get a Sabre2 like you were talking about then I will mold you like a young Jedie apprentice...

(Darth Vader voice) "Hooooo Haaaaaaa Dan, I am your Swoop father Hooooo Haaaaaa... Let go of your 4-way and give in to your swoop side... I can feel the swoop getting stronger in you my young apprentice... Hooooo Haaaaaa" (Darth Vader Voice)

Maybe I'll try some point dives with you in the tunnel soon. I think it might be fun to do that. Although I would probably have to give you an AFF signal or two just so I don't get confused.

Grant

Keep talkin your trash there chunky butt;), but last time I checked even with my slow ass under a Pilot 210 I'm out-swoopin most guys that downsized to a 150 too fast, don't hate me cuz I'm good:P. And quit talkin about me in ballet shoes and a skin tight jumpsuit, that was supposed to be a private show:P.

You really wanna see whats up Grant lets go turn some points, didn't you forget a three point dive last time we flew together?;)

Dan, you be careful out there swoopn your big ass canopy... I remember that time at Eloy where you did not even see me on final and I turned away from your swoop...:P he he he Scared the shit out of me, Mr. Head NOT on a swivel. Trying to kill your own teammate... :);)

But seriously, Dan, I don't know what I am going to do. Going to Z-hills tomorrow for 9 days of real jumpn' - the farthest I have been from the Colorado tunnel since it opened... But, I have to be honest, the freefly bug is getting me a bit... Spent 20 minutes on my back playing around and getting used to it, last night... Felt great. I even sit flew last weekend in the sky... One jump was a wingsuit at 50 MPH, the next was a fast sit at 150 - just a little different, huh? What is this world coming to??? ME - Freeflying...

I don't know if I will be homesick for the dog, the family, or the tunnel more...

Nah, screw that. The weather is going to be good, http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USFL0534?from=search_10day and the skydiving is going to be great. Everything else can wait...:P

Did Neil and the Airspeed folks see the photos of you flyn' Neil's jumpsuit with a big ass (pun intended) hole in it? Come on - you HAD TO HAVE shown that DVD to them, right????

I think I speak for everyone in saying that we have no desire to see Dan in a skin-tight jumpsuit, with ballet shoes on, doing pirouettes in freefall... :P:D

Except for the shoes part - this sounds like his average 4way jump...:P

Except for the shoes part - this sounds like his average 4way jump...

Very funnyB|

We can bag Dan out as much as we like as he is now on the road for the next 12 hours and he can't reply, he, he.

By the way, he will not be swooping for the next 2 1/2 weeks as he left his rig in the hangar (which I am picking up for safekeeping tomorrow), his back may be a little out of sync (from sleeping on my couch), will be going around commando (left his boxer shorts in my dryer) and stinky (left his shower gel and shampoo in my bathroom)!!!

Liz

The main reason for that is that I was unable to move my arms after 12 mins and was then wasting the other three minutes 'cos I didn't have the strength to get into a sit, let alone stay in it.

I've done a few rotations of 30 minutes, shared with one other jumper. They are tough. I'm in a mantis the entire 15 minutes - I wouldn't want to try sit-flying the whole time. I think you have to work your way up to these. I had already done a few camps with 2 hours of flying over a 2-3 day period, so I think that helped get the right muscles in shape for this. But you're right - don't try doing that unless you have quite a bit of time already practicing in the tunnel.

I'm sure the rats can do 30 minutes straight. They have a lot of practice.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I'm sure the rats can do 30 minutes straight. They have a lot of practice.

The best tunnel rats and Airspeed members do more than that straight.

Airspeed are full on atheletes - many people assume that atheletes are only the track/skiers, etc, but skydiving is an athletic sport.

The top teams are not going to win gold unless they are in top condition - they are a bit like sprinters - top speed for a short period of time.

In fact, sprinters have it easy - they only have to run their fastest in a straight line with only one "point".

World champ skydivers have to perform their fastest in a short time, but also have to fly as part of a team whilst moving their bodies in different directions to get the points (which they have to memorise).

Liz

Guys (and gals)

I found out tonight at the tunnel they have a new pricing structure in effect now.

I am just reporting the facts - not trying to argue for or against anything or criticize them.

To keep the math all the same, since the per minute price posted on the site includes tax, but the hour blocks do not - I added tax to give bottom line cash out of pocket pricing... The tax is 4% for the entertainment district, no state sales tax like if you were buying actual goods like a shirt... Correct me if I am wrong - but I don't think the other US tunnels are in special taxing districts...

BY THE MINUTE
$14 per minute (including tax) - for anything less than 1 hour, 5 minute minimum - 7 days a week... ($840 per hour)

HOUR BLOCK TIMES
Friday and Saturday - $832 per hour (increase of $100 pre-tax per hour)

Sunday - Thursday - $702 per hour (evening hours used to be $700 + tax, so this is a $25 reduction)

No longer "peak and off-peak" hours... The whole day is either peak or non-peak.

Basically, if you fly on the weekends, you get a $8 savings if you buy an hour over buying by the minute - so the good news is you no longer need to find friends to split blocks if you fly on the weekends because your cost for 20 minutes will be about the same if you split a hour three ways or just buy 20 minutes by the minute - bad news is that you will be paying more than the old pricing either way.

Good news - if you can fly on a weekday - you will be saving about $25 per hour over the old rates if you can fill an hour. Most definitely find friends to fly with on weekdays - because you will be saving $2.30 a minute if you fill an hour.

I'm a little late posting -- but I wanted to make sure that all you skydiver parents out there were aware of the SVCO Kid's League.

Now through July -- Kids who sign up for the League will share 8 hours of tunnel time each month.

If you're interested -- or would like more information -- PM me or email me at: [email protected] or [email protected] .

Oh, and one more thing...Ninjas ARE way cooler than pirates.