Cookiemunster

Pigeon Forge

I was over at the one in Pigeon Forge,TN (Fly Away). There's gotta be more wind tunnels excluding vegas closer to colorado no? =)

-The people were very friendly and helpful in TN however i think the wind sucked or maybe its just me, cuz i could barely get off the grate thing
"Dont let the green grass fool you, and dont let it change your mind!"

-The people were very friendly and helpful in TN however i think the wind sucked or maybe its just me, cuz i could barely get off the grate thing

Don't worry, it's not you. The Flyaway wind tunnel is somewhat primitive compared to the other tunnels being built these days. My husband and I tried out the Pigeon Forge wind tunnel a couple years ago for giggles. We were in Knoxville visiting my family at the time.

Anyway, we're fat asses, so we had to wear HUGE balloon suits with air vents to fly in the tunnel. I'm sure if we hadn't had those we would've been on the grate the whole time, too! :D

Edited to add:

Apparently there's a SkyVenture Tunnel in the works for Colorado! http://www.skyventurecolorado.com/

Also, here's a North America view of exisiting and proposed SkyVenture wind tunnels: http://www.skyventure.com/tunnellocations/locationsmap.aspx?region=north%20america

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Tunnels are different. You should be able to fly your body in everything. FlyAway is different and difficult compared to skydiving or a Skyventure. It's all what you are used to I believe. If you start at FlyAway, you'll love it and hate Skyventure (or so it seems to go) and vice versa. Learn to fly it all.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I believe the Pigeon Falls and Las Vegas tunnels were the first two built for civilian use. The day the Vegas tunnel opened (1983?) we drove up from So Cal and are among the first to "fly" in it. I say "fly" loosely as even though we are used to skydiving with big jump suits we faired little better than the people off the street.

While they called it "indoor skydiving" tunnel operators at that time didn't promote that angle to skydivers as they weren't yet aware that market existed. They had a few injuries early on (they were bouncing Grandmothers off the walls) and after a while it closed down for a few years. I remember it being very noisy and very hot . . .

However, even though it had just opened they already had "tunnel rats" who after business hours cranked up the speed and flew naked with amazing skill . . .

NickD :)BASE 194