Paige

What excites you most about the tunnel?

What excites you the most about the tunnel?

Even after 15 hours in the Orlando tunnel, I stll have the most fun bringing friends with me, whether they skydive or not (esp. the ones that don't). You can't get everyone out of an airplane because of, age, fear, money, etc. For me, the best part is seeing others enjoying themselves and opening them to an experience they won't soon forget. Taking a 3 year old in the chamber with me was awesome! Her older brother, 7, was smiling from ear to ear and can't wait to go back. I also found the tunnel to be parent friendly. My Mom and Dad really loved watching Ari and I fly in the tunnel this past month. After my skydivng accident, I don't think I could ever ask my parents to watch me jump. I'd expect them to watch the video but the landing they can miss.

Making new friends and finding a few new people to jump with at the tunnel is always a plus. That way if you are waiting on time, you'll always have someone to talk to :)
:)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I'm with you, I love bringing people down to the tunnel. It's great to get people in there who would never skydive so they can experience some of what I love so much :)

I enjoy the differences between the tunnel and the sky and love flying the tunnel when I'm there. Playing on the walls is so much fun!

What excites you the most about the tunnel?

Watching a certain hottie learn to fly on her head :P:):)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I wrote this SOME time ago... I feel exactly the same.. and I can think of no better way to describe WHY I spend my life working with tunnels. It's also nice to have a hobby that won't kill ya.. and it's great that our entire family (including our 10 y/o) enjoys flying together.
;)
Taming the Dream
by Dawn Suiter

I used to have these dreams when I was young about being able to soar in the sky like a bird, of course inevitably even in my dreams I always had to come back down. Some friends have mentioned over the years that controlling your dreams is a matter of having a waking dream, a concept I never have mastered. Instead, I made my dreams a reality and joined the rest of the enlightened world and learned how to fly! I am a wind tunnel flyer AND a skydiver and I can SOAR now, not in a waking dream but in my life, in my reality.

History shows us that this great mystery of man and his ability to rise above life's challenges and conquer, is simply the way we are. Defiance is sometimes mistaken for determination, and above all else as individuals, we are determined. Determined to succeed in my life, I found myself thinking of those who dreamed before me; Aristotle, Da Vinci, Prandtl, the Wright Brothers. These people knew that a dream could be a reality if only there was enough determination, and what they have ALL proved in their passing is that yes, we as human beings CAN realize our dreams no matter how outlandish they seem, and that only a little self determination and empowerment can equal limitless possibilities.

So what is my dream now? Well, I unlike my afore mentioned counterparts am not a great painter, engineer or aerodynamicist, I am simply me. The me I choose to be, and no one, no matter how hard they try, could ever fill my shoes. I spread my arms wide and embrace the wind, my confidant and my vice because without it there would be no dream. Mother Nature is the inventor and I am simply the connoisseur of her great creation. Therefore it is not really a dream but something completely attainable to anyone human with the desire and determination to get it, and achieve it. Like the great bird of prey I manipulate wind gusts and cloud ceilings from time to time, while my aerial view stretches for miles and I consume the beauty, and the passion that belongs only to me in this minute of my life.

Memories last forever, but experiences change your life. I am someone new, as if my rebirth came when I learned how to stretch my wings and let go. To let go of tangible things, like parachutes and suspension cables, airplanes and drop zones, is to realize that in a wind tunnel, YOU chose your landing area and come down when you want. In flight the problems of yesterday are gone; absent from your mind. Release from endless boundaries and restrictions used to facilitate cohabitation and goodwill among men. Relentless stresses of career, family and personal achievement simply melt away when I stretch out and submit to my dreams. Inner peace comes with brutal self honesty and the satisfaction in knowing that you are the best that you can be.
B|
Pink Suits, Blue Skies & Fast Air,
Dawn Suiter

I'm very excited about the amount of Advil I can consume over a 3 day camp without any kind of stomache ache.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Bill, you are a big baby. After my last three day camp, I didn't even need the heating pad.

I love the tunnel cause I can fly with my boys in there.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The best part of my job has been all the people I've met from around the world. They come from places I'll probably never get a chance to go to. I've never participated in a sport that was so international. What keeps me motivated is coaching someone and seeing their progression first hand and knowing that you are partly responsible for their success. Continuing my own progression also keeps me refreshed and pushing forward. That's what gets me excited about the tunnel.

Other then the fact that it is fun fun fun.

I like watching how fast people can learn in there. Nothing more fun then having somone you work with for an hour or so in the tunnel come back and tell me how well there jumps are going after the sessions.

It instills confidence in people.
Dom

I adore the accelerated skill progression that one can acquire from working on skills with a coach in the tunnel.

Also, the tunnel doesn't lie. People instantly know where you stand as a body pilot when they see you in the tunnel. :)
One can do tunnel and still take medications, which I, personally, cannot do while skydiving. It's more accessible and faster than jumping all day, so it's great for a "body flying fix", especially on bad weather days or at night. There is no gear, packing or anything else to worry about when body flying in the tunnel. It's all about the FLYING.

Last, it's wonderful seeing the smiles of everyone who flies in there. It's something that is so much easier to see while in the tunnel than in the sky. Although smiles in freefall are amazing, as well. It's all good.

I'm very excited about the amount of Advil I can consume over a 3 day camp without any kind of stomache ache.

In addition try the icy hot patches, they are a god sent.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I can only imagine how cool it must be as a coach to see a student progress. Tonight I flew with MacCormac and was working on HD in the tunnel. A year ago I was doing my first sit fly jumps with him. Now I fly like tinkerbell in the tunnel and am gettin there in the sky. In that year there was an accident and 5 mons with no jumping. He was amazed at how much my flying had progressed, as did Blincoe. It's nice to be able to show them that their efforts were appreciated and did not go to waste.

My bf Needtojump is the main reason I fly the way I do. Without him I'd be suck on the net (as I am now again) but I'd still be sit flying. He's amazed with my progression more than I am I think. He gets more excited than I do sometimes, I guess I expect it out of myself because I know I can.

I can only relate to my tennis coaching experiences. The pee wee group was my favorite, most of the time the racquet was as big as them :D The first week: whiff, swing, twirl, whiff. Third week: smack ball, hits instructor, ouch :S How nice hu? I teach em how to swing and I become target practice. I could care less as long as they get the ball over the net. It is amazing how fast or slow individuals progress, so cool to see how different minds work.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Also, the tunnel doesn't lie. People instantly know where you stand as a body pilot when they see you in the tunnel.

Which is also the reason so many people don't like it or find it to be a waste of time. It's humbling and is a good indication of your skill level. Granted, my tunnel flying is so much better than my sky but with good FL weather coming soon (I'm hopeful), I should be able to get the jump numbers up now that I'm back in the sky! Not everyone is like that though, I'd say I'm not the normal 72 jump wonder. Not that I'm great at all but I look good in the tunnel:D:D:D
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

In addition try the icy hot patches, they are a god sent.

But they taste nasty and are more chewy than Advil.

Mary - I hear you, my daughter is going in the tunnel this camp. I'm as excited about that as the whole team training this time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Which is also the reason so many people don't like it or find it to be a waste of time. It's humbling and is a good indication of your skill level.

Very true. It is hard for the guy (or girl) with 3000 jumps to get in the tunnel where everyone can see their flaws (that they think they don't have). Ego kicks in and then the shit talking starts.

I think there is at least one divorce in the works over it. I won't say the names, but the couple have 1000's of jumps and the hubby is (was) the better flyer. Now the wife is in the tunnel and breaking bad habits, and getting very good as a result. Now she is adictted and he is not happy, First he bitched about the cost, she quickly explained that is BS, if you compare flying time to flying time it is cheaper, even in Perris with our huge electric costs. Now he is stuck saying it doesn't help, even though the results stare at him everyday (wifey).:S:S:S
Dom

Nice note Dom - I'm actually thrilled to death to hear people complain about the tunnel. They're jealous of the leg up others get from it. It's childish and fun to get them going.

Sean is a fun coach. I hope to see him and Steven here in Perris for the Bodyflight Challenge in April. Sometimes progression in the tunnel can be very frustrating. Certain things come easy and other things take month's to learn. And sometimes what you're trying to learn is just a variation of what you already know how to do. Nothing is more gratifying than overcoming something you've struggled with for a long time in there. Seeing someone or pushing your own flight progression one step further is a such a high because you know what it took to get there.

I saw a video of my flying, before my accident and it was amazing to see how far I've come in such a short amount of time. I still have soooooooo far to go but its great to see that I have improved a ton.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I have never doen a 3 day camp. The longest I usually fly is splitting an hour with Ari, 2 min in, 2 min out. I could imagine if i was doing a camp that I might be a little sore in the hip from the accident but the rest of my body is in great tunnel shape. Just have to work that up to the sky now.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Have a great time this weekend Rehm:
Wish I could make it..

We have an exclusive NC Mojo camp over memorial day.. Yippeeeee. I am saving as we speak!

Let me know how it goes, I want to hear all about it, k?

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

Let me know how it goes, I want to hear all about it, k?

NO DEAL - you show up as we originally agreed - bad zute

By that (Mem Day) time in May, we're hoping for our first meet under our belt with an otter camp with (hopefully) Chromy and maybe followed the next weekend with our (Perris) otter showing up with a high profile guy too. Can't wait. If it stinks (rainy season), I'll hop down to Orlando to mess with the NC campers. What's frequent flyer miles for anyway?

Paige, I have a silly question perhaps..
but....
why are you guys so sore after a 3 day camp.. ???

I have never flown in an outdoor tunnel but I would ask why wouldn't someone be tired after a 3 day camp?

Not trying to be a smart ass at all with this question.
Dom

Not trying to be a smart ass at all with this question.

That's funny... I was afraid of the same thing when I made my post..

Wasn't sure if they felt that the amount of time flown was alot (an hour or two over 3 days?)...
or the training itself was strenuous..
or were they talkin bumps & bruises...
or what.. I just didn't know..

EDITED: I didn't think indoor or outdoor would have much to do with it.. but MAYBE???

Pink Suits, Blue Skies, & Fast Tunnels,
Dawn Suiter

Paige, I have a silly question perhaps..
but....
why are you guys so sore after a 3 day camp.. ???

I have never flown in an outdoor tunnel but I would ask why wouldn't someone be tired after a 3 day camp?

I agree with Dom because it's not the time flown in the tunnel only that would be what is making you sore. It truly is how you spend the time in the tunnel that should be making you sore. If you aren't pushing yourself, you body and your abilities to the absolute limits within these tunnel camps...to the point of feeling sore in places that you never knew that you could feel sore, then what's the point? The guys from Airspeed even told me that being sore after very strenuous and long periods of flying is not something that you can fully control or overcome, no matter how conditioned and adept that you may be as a flyer.

One day at the Team Synchronicity tunnel camp last year.....

For the last hour slot of the weekend, Paul B and I were the only guys with 9 wonderful women crammed onto the benches in the tunnel. 2ways, 3ways, 4ways all hour long....wow!:)

That mixed with the roar of the fans, the 120mph winds....very sensual in a skydiving kinda way!;)

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton