timbarrett

Aerokart Paris report

Since I asked for some opinions and advice on Aerokart Paris a while back, I thought I should give some feedback on last weekend's trip.

First by way of background so you can assess appropriately the validity of my comments:
25 jumps/A licence/one hour in Orlando previously/100kg ex-rig

I will also let others debate "value for money" as thats been done here already. I cannot comment on what time is worth and I had time to get to Paris and not to Orlando...

1) The organization is definitely more relaxed in Paris. Scheduling was a guide but within the looser parameters that were set it all got worked out by the instructors. There are benefits to that as when part of my party cancelled at the last minute due to sickness we could be worked in around others or others could be called to come in early. Have faith it will work. The blocks of time you are sealed in the chamber are longer it would appear.

2) Flying was harder and required more discipline in positioning. My view is that the airflow was faster and more turbulent; dropping out of the flow and onto the pads was more likely. I think in Orlando you could get away with more. The compensation is more lateral room.

3) The tunnel sealed area is larger and so you can - and indeed have to - dirt dive once you are sealed in the chamber. This creates some problems as it is harder to schedule periods to get out and debrief orally rather than writing screeds on the walls.

4) The instruction is more informal than I received in Orlando with a greater emphasis on getting the feel for positions and moves. The instructors said that this was their style rather than the more aggressive American approach..must have been talking with Chirac. Regardless, I would say that the standard of instruction and the benefit I derived was excellent. I think I gained from seeing a different approach. They are also a nice and friendly bunch with quite enough english to cope with Brits and Americans.

5) I had a (sixteen year old female) beginner with me and for her it was very much a question of being given a couple of hand signals and a simple instruction to push the pelvis forward..and then off she went. I don't know that I would teach that way but she had a serious blast and really felt she had got the feel for what flying her body meant by the end of a few sessions

6) The location is in the middle of nowhere and is not cheap to get to by taxi..but there is also an indoor go-kart track there as well so if you are looking for a full entertainment package you could put something together. I will probably take some whuffo clients back there and do both...get someone else to pay for my tunnel time!

7) Hey..its flying and its always going to be fun. Jumping is better but if you live here and want to train this is still a very good option to consider.

Hope this helps,
Tim
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

We arrive at 10 at night so what is the best way from the airport to the tunnel? our hotel is right by it.

If it's a Taxi, what approx. is the cost?

depends which airport you are landing at...

BTW I don't have a clue about the price.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

can't speak directly for the route from the airport..by taxi from the Gare du Nord it cost 50 Euro and from the Champs Elysee it cost 30 euro...i think the best way may be to get the train into the center and then taxi from there at that time...
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"