danger29

First time in a tunnel

Hi,

My friend and I are going to the Aerokart tunnel in Paris in a few weeks.

This will be my first time in a tunnel ( Beer......) and I want to know if any body has got any hints or tips?

Last week I was jumping in Spain, doing 6 points on a 4 way on sunday then no points on 3 3 way jumps on monday mainly due to backsliding!! Hence the trip to the tunnel.

Any Info on the tunnel or Paris would be gratefully received!

Cheers

Sorry bro, i don't have any hints or tips but i will say that it's going to humble you. Or at least it did for me when i arrived at the Perris tunnel for the first time. I thought: "dude, i can freefly, how hard can this be?" Ha ha. I learned my lesson pretty quickly.

I'm not sure how the Aerokart tunnel works, i assume they have tunnel rats in there with you, make sure to listen to their briefings and and have fun!

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I've been to Aerokart two times. It's a nice place and a very good windtunnel. Be sure to mention that you are skydivers and what you want to do in the tunnel :)...

That's all

you will thank me if you are planning on flying hard or on your belly.

Some people even "fly hard" while on their bellies.;)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Make sure you are fit! The tunnel is hard work. Stay away from the net!! If you fall off the air at the side (which most people do, even if they've been in a tunnel before) roll back onto the air and don't use the net as a safety device. I sprained two fingers and I was there 3 weeks ago and they still haven't recovered.

Make sure you take a dry marker in with you, so you can communicate by writing on the glass and if you have even a slight problem falling fast, wear lots of lead. They do have weight vests there (I wore two, a total of 8kgs), but no belts.

Drink loads of water and make sure your helmet is on properly, make sure you get time to rest inbetween, It is HARD WORK. Take your cameras with you, it's useful to debrief between sessions by watching yourself on video.

That's it, oh, and enjoy yourself!! Its a blast!

XX

Sarah
www.sneale-create.com

Spent 33 minutes in the tunnel in Vegas, within 2 hours... Felt tired by the end, but felt it for a week afterward.

Tip I picked up on after about 10 minutes... Don't push off into the stream. Just fall forward. The instructor will preach this, but it's another thing to "do" it. If you're weak with your feet, you'll fix that fast....

Use very small body imputes, and make adjustments quickly. I had issues with being to slow, and by the time I made a change, I was meeting the padded wall...

Go high, about 6-10 feet off the floor. I found smoother air, which made it easier to stabilize. It sounds funny, but don't freak out if you go high.. There were times I would bounce off the top screen, look down and say to myself, "if you fall from up here, it's gonna hurt..!" I typically would. You get used to it, and after a few scary moments, you find yourself doing it on purpose.

Drink lots of water, and relax. I was told that those that have never skydived, do the best in the tunnel at first. I believe it. It is truly the best way to refine your freefall skills. By the end (thank God) I was flying like a champ. On my next jump it was like someone flipped a switch.

Todd .... "Life, figure it out."

Thanks.

Still 2 weeks to wait...:(

Myself and my friend have booked 30 mins with coach each, 15 mins each on both Saturday and Sunday.

We both have 70+ jumps so hope ( and I do mean HOPE! ) to maybe get a couple of sessions on the sunday doing coached 2 ways together?, thats if we're not trying to kill or injure ourselves off the walls!!

I have just received my confimation from Aerokart, They state that the 15mins tunnel time will be completed over a 2 hour period, which I thought sounds quite reasonable.

that also allows us time to sample the local beer, oh yes and food!!:)