Hummusx

Prepping for a tunnel trip

I spent an hour in the tunnel over 2 days last year in Perris, and I recall being pretty sore afterwards. Maybe more importantly, I remember a few muscles being rather loathe to respond to my wishes at the end of my last block of time. Of course now I can't remember exactly what was sore (other than my lower back from arching).

I've got some time scheduled at the tunnel in Orlando for March, and I would really like to start preparing by doing some exercising, stretching, and just general training. So I guess the question is, what's going to hurt on the first morning after I'm in the tunnel?

So I guess the question is, what's going to hurt on the first morning after I'm in the tunnel?

Your wallet!

Seriously, I found I was sore as hell the first time I went to the tunnel (as a newbie skydiver) but on every subsequent trip I had nothing more than the general aches and pains I have after a long weekend of skydiving.

That said if you are not already doing a good general stretching regime you should start. It will help keep the aches and pains to a minimum and also improve your performance in the air.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

General stretching and weights

Lots of abs (crunches and obliques)
Lower back yoga (lay on the floor on your stomach, and hold a very high mantis for 60 seconds be sure to get the knees off the floor, lift the left knee and right arm for 60 seconds, right knee and left arm ditto - you'll feel all this in the lower back, butt, and back of thighs)

Triceps (suprisingly for someone not used to mantis they get sore)

cardio health

During the day, think about posture and hold you head high whenever you think about it for the neck muscles.....

at the tunnel, stretch and drink a lot of water.

March trip, huh? It'll be busy, hope you have a good organizer.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In the past, when I haven't flown for a while, then flown in the tunnel, sometimes the muscles from my bum/butt to my upper, outer thighs have become sore. :$ Also, sometimes, the muscles from my chest (outside, close to armpits) to my inside of upper arms hurt. My leg (backs of thighs) muscles feel sore if I am focusing a lot on leg work. Not stretching before doing a whole lot of outfacing moves, can even lead to a sore/stiff neck.

Honestly, the soreness is not too bad at all if you remember to stretch really well before and after your flying sessions. Sadly, I don't do any exercise...other than when I am flying. Yet, even after months and months of not flying, I can usually handle a short session just fine.

Tunnel camps can be strenuous, but your body will quickly acclimate, and you will be able to handle more as you go on. When flying for long periods, your arch may suffer after a while, but the lead belt helps a great deal. Of course, I am just speaking from my own experiences with soreness from being in the tunnel, but I have found that it doesn't mean that you or I are out of shape. Other people seem to get sore, as well, more or less depending on how much they regularly fly. Good luck!

My last tunnel trip I brought a heating pad. I was shocked that I didn't need it, but there were a few other gals on the trip with me that were glad I brought it.

I think it's because I do lift light weights and drink lots of water, those things help keep me from getting sore.

I can just see the girls eyes rolling, when they read "I drink lots of water.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My last tunnel trip I brought a heating pad. I was shocked that I didn't need it

I understand, since I have never needed one, either. :)

I think it's because I do lift light weights and drink lots of water, those things help keep me from getting sore.

I can just see the girls eyes rolling, when they read "I drink lots of water.

Lol...Mar, I drink lots of water, as well! The only problem are those trips to the restroom. :ph34r:

Ask Renee and Jen how I went into a panic when I had forgot to bring my water in with me during one of my sessions. I about die with no water in there. I felt like I was in prison.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey