VanillaSkyGirl

Anyone strictly a tunnel flyer?

Is there anyone out there who prefers flying in the tunnel, more than skydiving?

That would be me...

Do people who can fly in the tunnel and not yet in the sky, consider themselves a whuffo?

I don't as far as the freefall aspect of my jumps, but under canopy, I do.

Why not just make a skydive and see what they are missing out on?

Well of course I did and really enjoy jumping. It's like getting to stretch out really big and not worry if I'm shifting off center. For just a moment, say the first 10 seconds, it's really a blast! Then seriousness sets in, and well, then it isn't as fun anymore.

Imho, there absolutely NO real substitute for the real thing...

I would agree completely with this except for the fact, that when I fly in the tunnel, I'm not practicing to be a better skydiver therefore not substituting anything..

well, unless you make jumps AND train with tunnel time. Yet, as much as I greatly enjoy flying in the tunnel from time to time to work on my skydiving skills, I LOVE the high from actual FLYING IN THE SKY. No amount of tunnel time could ever be the same as skydiving.

Agreed! Love the high from jumping! When I was in 4th grade I decided I wanted to grow up and go skydiving! But it never was for the parachute part of it, cuz I'll tell you those round canopies look like alot of things, and fun just isn't one of them to me. But I wanted to do it for the FLYING part, the freefall. I didn't know about wind tunnels then, just knew I wanted to fly. When I grew up and learned that I could fly, for unlimited amounts of time, without worry about parachute malfunctions, etc, with LOTS of control of my flight areas.. I just about forgot about skydiving! It was my husband who MADE me go jump.. we were dating then, living in Florida and he was working with Bill on opening up SkyVenture. Made my first jumps in Titusville then over to DeLand. It was truly a blast..but I hate planes (that's no help) I've had a great experience jumping, lots'a formations, lots of tag & tracking dives, jumping with friends.. but there is nothing to me like flying for the next 30 minutes uninterupted.

What I learned last year is that skydiving is ALOT of committment, work and responsibility. I finally bought my own rig and made 5 jumps while living in Fl again and depleted my budget. I plan to jump again, next time I'm around a DZ for a week or two, but until then I'm thrilled with lotsa time playing in the air with my friends, without worry of death or major injury, and yes sometimes it lacks the same "thrill" or adrenaline push as a scary skydive, BUT what I realized is that when that happens, I'm just not pushing myself hard enough and so I need to step it up a bit!

Personally, I currently have much more tunnel time (approx. 5 hours thus far) as opposed to jumps (188). I went into the tunnel for the first time, when I had 107 jumps and had already been flying the mantis, since jump 32, when it was taught to me. This coming new year, I hope to do MANY MORE SKYDIVES vs. tunnel time.

What do you all think? There is nothing like kissing the sky, right? B|

I could never never never make as many jumps as I have tunnel time, and since I'm just getting started (7 years now) I can only assume my time will continue to increase. But no, there is NOTHING like kissing the sky. It feels good, it's more "free" than the tunnel.. less worry for a few seconds.. like flying in the worlds largest tunnel, only FREEZING cold! But, I still prefer the tunnel over skydiving, I can fly so much more that way, and that, is the feeling I'm after!

From an article I wrote a few years ago about how learning to fly felt to me:
"....experiences change your life. I am someone new, as if my rebirth came when I learned how to stretch my wings and let go. To let go of tangible things," ".......... is to realize that in a wind tunnel, YOU chose your landing area and come down when you want. In flight the problems of yesterday are gone; absent from your mind. Release from endless boundaries and restrictions used to facilitate cohabitation and goodwill among men. Relentless stresses of career, family and personal achievement simply melt away when I stretch out and submit to my dreams. Inner peace comes with brutal self honesty and the satisfaction in knowing that you are the best that you can be. "

rehmwa isabell went in nov at perris with bushko but bushko got most of the time. AWSOME PIC he will rip when he's 18

Q - Are saying "bushko" equals little Joey? I want to see the pic. isabell pic would be cool too.

Edit: children of DZ owners, bet isabell will rip too

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Then I don't know what you mean by "he'll rip when he's 18". Cause we both know John is WAY over 18.

Maybe John can rip when he's 48?;) He should come with the rest of us to tunnel this March. Another 4-way team from baldwin would be cool. Also, we should consider adding FF competition to the NSL league weekends. I have no idea who would coordinate that though.

Anyway, lucky for those guys. Isabelle is what? 5 now? and already in the tunnel.

later

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants