VanillaSkyGirl

Anyone strictly a tunnel flyer?

Is there anyone, who has yet to make an actual skydive, but who have a done a considerable amount of tunnel time? I know that some of the guys who work in the tunnel have first become proficient in the tunnel, then in the sky; the complete opposite of what most skydivers do. Yet, a few of them are true tunnel rats, and they don't seem to have the same desires as most skydivers to actually fly in the sky as opposed to flying in the tunnel.

Is there anyone out there who prefers flying in the tunnel, more than skydiving? Do people who can fly in the tunnel and not yet in the sky, consider themselves a whuffo? Why not just make a skydive and see what they are missing out on?

Imho, there absolutely NO real substitute for the real thing...well, unless you make jumps AND train with tunnel time. Yet, as much as I greatly enjoy flying in the tunnel from time to time to work on my skydiving skills, I LOVE the high from actual FLYING IN THE SKY. No amount of tunnel time could ever be the same as skydiving.

Personally, I currently have much more tunnel time (approx. 5 hours thus far) as opposed to jumps (188). I went into the tunnel for the first time, when I had 107 jumps and had already been flying the mantis, since jump 32, when it was taught to me. This coming new year, I hope to do MANY MORE SKYDIVES vs. tunnel time.

What do you all think? There is nothing like kissing the sky, right? B|

I've got 90 minutes in the tunnel and zero jumps. As confusing as it was learning the basics, I'm glad I did it in the tunnel, you know sensory overload and all. I get back with you about that after I jump :$

I've been asking people if they remember landing their canopy the first time. Everybody I ask seems to remember exiting the plane for the first time, but they all seem to have trouble remembering landing.

I've got 90 minutes in the tunnel and zero jumps. As confusing as it was learning the basics, I'm glad I did it in the tunnel, you know sensory overload and all. I get back with you about that after I jump :$

I've been asking people if they remember landing their canopy the first time. Everybody I ask seems to remember exiting the plane for the first time, but they all seem to have trouble remembering landing.

I definitely remember landing my canopy. It's all still crystal clear in my head. My first ever jump was an AFF1, btw. I had never even seen skydiving on TV or movies and knew very little about it at all, so it was pretty shocking, especially since I am the type of person who loves researching things to death. As Nike says, sometimes, you have to JUST DO IT. That is the only way that you will know what something is like. It's like the difference between masturbation and real sex with another human being. Both can be great, but who would ever prefer anything other than the real thing. ;)

I think I have a much better memory of my first landing (as well as the two tandems in years prior) then the exit. The approach to the ground in 10mph winds was much steeper than I would have imagined and when I flared and felt no ground, I thought, "this is exactly what Mike told me how you know you flared too high." I then touched down with one tiptoe and PLF'd to that side, then lying down on my back with a hoot and great contentment at what just transpired. Then realized a) I look like a dead duck to the instructors 100 yards away and b) the wind wants to do something with my canopy. So the moment of basking had to end, sadly.[

Vanilla - did your foot injury lead to doing more tunnel time while you recovered, or did you do some camps there to get 5 hours? I guess I'm actually back to 1:1 after my last trip to LA, and still waiting on my gear. I need to fix that next month, weather permitting.

Vanilla - did your foot injury lead to doing more tunnel time while you recovered, or did you do some camps there to get 5 hours?

Lol...no, I have done just one 15 minutes and one 10 minute sessions since May. I did all my tunnel time prior to hurting my ankle. Most tunnel camps are one hour spread over three days, and you can buy more coached time at night. Many awesome skydivers, who are serious about RW have TONS of more tunnel hours than I do. (Of course, that's not to say that you cannot be amazing without having any tunnel time at all.)

You do realize that I live in SoCal, and the tunnel is only about 2 hours away from me. Both Elsinore and Perris (where the tunnel is located) are my home DZs. Anyway, like I stated earlier, I would LOVE to focus more time on actual skydiving jumps coupled with smaller amounts of tunnel training to work on specific skills. I want to improve my exits and enjoy my landings, again.

I totally agree with you on this one girl, the tunnel is great, I love flyin in it, but there is no substitute for the real thing. But living in colorado a tunnel nearby would be nice during the winter!!
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I have been tending more towards tunnel than sky... For me its all about the freefall time - and 50 secs just isnt enough!

Only reason I wouldnt give up the sky altogether is the space restriction... Track etc etc

But as I could spend hours at a time (forget the pain!) a tunnel has alot of attraction. At present I am putting in enough jumps to stay current.

I think they should make breathable altitude higher ;):D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

With ya on that one. I love the tunnel. In all fairness though, I haven't jumped since my accident in August. I am thinking of selling my gear to start a tunnel team. I'm no where near that point, yet (hopefully I'll get there. Got almost 8 hours so I'm on my way), but I see head down in the near but not so near future. I'm all about safety and and terrified of head down so I know when I do it I'll be more than ready. I'm in no rush! Man do I love the tunnel. I am going to make a few more jumps before I decide on what to do. Sell gear= additional 8 hours to the mass amounts of time I already fly. Okay not so mass compared to some people but more than most :)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

You do realize that I live in SoCal, and the tunnel is only about 2 hours away from me.

*2* hours? You LA people are way too tolerant of distances. I figured you lived much closer than that.

If the bay area Skyventure pans out, it will be about 30 miles away from me.

I don't have a tunnel near me, but if I did, I'd be a strictly tunnel flyer in crappy weather/nights only. A big part of the reason that I skydive is for the visuals. A tunnel can never replace the sunset view in Empuriabrava. A tunnel can never replace seeing the clear view of the Chicago skyline with the lake behind it, and being able to see the other side of the lake and Michigan! I love playing up by the clouds. I love being outside. A tunnel can never replace that.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Is there anyone, who has yet to make an actual skydive, but who have a done a considerable amount of tunnel time?

I know of 2 guys. One is a 16 year old guy who has done 2 Airspeed camps.

The other is the fantastic, wonderful Omar from Orlando.

Yup, Omar kicks ass in the tunnel, but has not even done one skydive. He did go up in the plane to do a tandem, but refused at the last minute. He did say he would do a jump, but only if Eliana would take him on a tandem. Somehow, I don't think that will happen in the near future and so does he!!! (We had a conversation about this and he just does not want to jump).

I have 30 hours in the tunnel in the past year and that way surpasses my total number of jumps, but I can honestly say that much as I love the tunnel, it CANNOT replace jumping out of a plane.

Jumping out of a Herc, pulling high and flying out to sea watching the sunset and landing on the beach followed by drinking from a fresh coconut filled with rum with new friends in Ecuador is one example.

Liz

Titusville, you have to wear oxygen, they provide, and it costs a few buck more B|

http://www.skydivespacecenter.com/index.html

Checoleman and Avion ~ As most skydiver know, several DZs will go to 18,000 for a few extra dollars (with oxygen). Hollister and Monterey are a couple more DZs that quickly come to mind. Their usual altitude is 15000 and can go to 18000 if there are people interested. Other DZs, like Perris or Elsinore, will do it when doing bigger-ways. It's best to call around first or to inquire about altitude restrictions/possibilities when you go to a new DZ.

Edited: You will also get extra altitude when at a boogie, of course...or when there is a "flash" or with special jumps. :)

Follow Mullins around and you can hop on 21000k skydives when ever he flys those. He even does 30k foot skydives sometimes. WFFC offers both, they cost more money.. but you can do them all week long povided there is interest and weather works.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Follow Mullins around and you can hop on 21000k skydives when ever he flys those. He even does 30k foot skydives sometimes.

Yup! Mullins was flying out here at Skydive Taft (2 hours north from LA) last winter. Also, 1.5 years ago, I went through AFF from a King Air in AAW (no longer open) in Taft where we jumped from 14,000' or more every load, but, personally, I have never been interested in altitude as much as quality of jump. ;) Of course, the WFFC's 30,000' jumps are great for people who want to experience that kind of jump.

I was and still am, however, impressed by Nightjump's dog Kara's amazing 30,000' jump! What a cool dog! B|

Checoleman and Avion ~ As most skydiver know, several DZs will go to 18,000 for a few extra dollars (with oxygen). Hollister and Monterey are a couple more DZs that quickly come to mind. Their usual altitude is 15000 and can go to 18000 if there are people interested.

Skydance will also occasionally do the 18k load, but usually it's 13. Hollister seems to do it most often. Monterey will even do it in their 206 (long ride) - I did that last month. One caveat to add is that I'm not sure the difference between a planned 15k and an 18k is actually 3000ft. Though my gauge is analog and I'm not paying as much attention to it as other things on final jump run.

If it is really is 18, be prepared for the possibility of hypoxia. I defintely got zonked on this last one, quite likely the first time over 16.5 for me. Might have been lack of sleep the night before or the cold not helping. The one great thing about altitude issues is they resolve themselves pretty quickly - by 15k I felt pretty normal.

Unfortunately Australia does not have a tunnel (that I know of), so I can not turn into a tunnel rat just yet. Am considering travelling to get some tunnel hours (malaysia and NZ have tunnels) but that will be about a year away. Either way no risk of me picking a tunnel over a real skydive anytime soon.

Is there anyone, who has yet to make an actual skydive, but who have a done a considerable amount of tunnel time?

I know of 2 guys. One is a 16 year old guy who has done 2 Airspeed camps.

Not to boast... well, okay, I am boasting: My 13yo son has done 2 Airspeed camps, one at 10yo and once at 12yo. With the evening time, that gives him 5 hours in the wind. The attached picture is Tim carving backwards around Craig. Not shown is the proud father beaming in the staging area.

-- Tim's Dad

Of course, the WFFC's 30,000' jumps are great for people who want to experience that kind of jump.

SkyDance also does 30,000 ft agl jumps twice a year....training provided as well.....

http://www.skydanceskydiving.com/sd/highj.htm
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Dave - that's just plain cool. My Daughter will have the option to go in the tunnel in March. I hope she does. 9 years old.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants