SkydiveNFlorida

Wind Tunnel Muscles

Sheesh, 15 minutes in the tunnel will surely show your weak areas! I did 15 minutes sitflying on Saturday night and my pecs are still sore! My biceps are a little sore, but my shoulders are feeling better now. I feel like such a wimp! How do you keep in good enough shape to visit the tunnel and not be sore?

Also, I wonder if there is any point to the tunnel if you don't plan on frequenting it. I would love to get there more often, but it is QUITE a drive from Fort Lauderdale! So, i'm hoping I can get back sometime next month, but if not I wonder if I should bother going anymore if i'm going to be so sore everytime, and of course you have to relearn for the first few mins. It seems like it'd be great training if you could frequent it, but it is far, and i'd have to budget out jump $ for it as well.

-A

I feel your pain. Until you get used to flyin in there the muscles ache. I found a woman who gave great facials and would also rub those pec muscles too. Ohhhh, its heaven. After a while though, you get used to it. I've done a half hour of sit flying and wasn't too bad the next day. Push ups do me good when I'm not flying. Helps those muscles under and around the arm pit. I do mine on my knucles using a towel.

I got to meet your bf but missed you as you were running out. I just saw a great pain of purple and white Ouragan pants fly by the room while we were debriefing. Maybe I'll see ya there one time. :)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I feel your pain. Until you get used to flyin in there the muscles ache. I found a woman who gave great facials and would also rub those pec muscles too. Ohhhh, its heaven. After a while though, you get used to it. I've done a half hour of sit flying and wasn't too bad the next day. Push ups do me good when I'm not flying. Helps those muscles under and around the arm pit. I do mine on my knucles using a towel.

I got to meet your bf but missed you as you were running out. I just saw a great pain of purple and white Ouragan pants fly by the room while we were debriefing. Maybe I'll see ya there one time. :)

I can't imagine doing 1/2 hr in there in one day, even in one weekend. I will try that with the push ups, thanks!

Yeah, I was sorry I missed you guys, too. I ended up needing to put on a tunnel suit afterall as my ouragan is a 2-pc, and, well, I almost gave the room a show:o:$. Once I put on one of their suits I was able to get off the grate. It'd be great to get back soon, we'll see. Hopefully i'll see you around soon:)

-A

I can't imagine doing 1/2 hr in there in one day, even in one weekend. I will try that with the push ups, thanks!

The only thing that really works is flying in the tunnel.

I have flown an hour straight twice, and coached many hours a day before...

1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Stretch some before and after.
3. Preload on your fav asprin. (I don't do it, I don't ever take anything if I can avoid it. But I know folks that swear by this)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Agreed. I have spent up to four hours in one day in the cone training students and what gets you conditioned for it is simply more of the same. What usually goes first on me is my lower back. I always carry a bunch of weight in when I know I am going to be spending a lot of time in the cone and just add more and more as the day goes on.

For the lower back pain that I also suffer from when I fly a lot on my belly is the Icy Hot Patches. I swear by em. I felt like a 90 year old woman from my first 15 min in the tunnel and I had coach jumps planned. Stuck a patch on and made 4 that day, felt like a million bucks;) They work for non tunnel stuff too obv:D
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Agreed. I have spent up to four hours in one day in the cone training students and what gets you conditioned for it is simply more of the same. What usually goes first on me is my lower back. I always carry a bunch of weight in when I know I am going to be spending a lot of time in the cone and just add more and more as the day goes on.

I also cheat and stand in the cone some;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The most I've spent in the tunnel is 20 minutes. I'm usually fine. I do a lot of stretching/warmup before and some stretching after if I'm sore or stiff.

If your going to preload some thing, I recommend either ibuprofen or naproxen, which are advil or alieve. The new pills are much better than asprin at both preventing swelling and relieving pain/stiffness.

Key is short sessions!

Best thing if you are few people in the tunnel and getting less than 4 min break in the doorway, between your 2 mins in the tunnel, then only book 30 mins sessions! Take an hour off, before you do the next session.;)

Also, as everybody already noted - it a huge advantage to be fit and flexible. Warm up !! and stretch, before and after, and most people will be just fine without painrelief medicine.
And an other note. Bring extra weight! More than you usually use for freefall. (bellyflying only)

I haven't been there since feb and wont get there next time until april, but the tunnel is still very efficient. You don't need to go there frequently, to benefit. :)

Thanks everyone! I guess it is agreed that the cure is more tunnel time regularly. I will see about getting back in there soon. I can't take pain relievers regularly (stomach problems). In the meantime, my pecs STILL hurt! Amazing how out of shape they are. I do pilates, but it seems to be neglecting this area.

I find sitflying to be much more difficult in the tunnel. I hope that I can build up to it, though. It sure would be nice to have my own (fitted) tunnel suit! But, alas, I can't justify that with what little time I spend there.

Thanks again!
-A

If your going to preload some thing, I recommend either ibuprofen or naproxen, which are advil or alieve. The new pills are much better than asprin at both preventing swelling and relieving pain/stiffness.

I'm always a bit afraid to do this - you can lose the pain feedback that is telling you to stop whatever you're doing. I learned the hard way that I shouldn't run after swimming in 55F water. If I want to do a double workout, best to run first. I was limping for a week after that.

Tunnel seems to get to me at about minute 12 or 13 of a 15. Last time I was the only customer, getting about a minute or so off at a time. Ooof!