chrisgr

Suits in Orlando Tunnel

It has been 2 years since I was in the Orlando tunnel and I am planning a trip back – finally – in late January.

Back in 2002, baggy suits were standard issue for freefliers who wanted to play in the tunnel and it was still a lot of work. It was a LOT of fun, but still very physically challenging.

With the new motors and improved lift, are freefliers ok in their own rags? I usually just wear FF pants and a long-sleeve tee.

My FF partner and I both have ‘slower’ natural fall rates – 145 in a sit. From what I’ve read, we should be OK.

Comments or suggestions?

I usually just wear FF pants and a long-sleeve tee.

May freeflyers do wear their own gear in the Perris SkyVenture tunnel. Freefly pants and a long sleeve T are probably not a great choice as the T will become untucked right away, especialy with no harness to hold it in place.

I weigh about 180lbs and am 5'9" and I have flown in my own suits (somewhat trim in cut) but I prefer someting just a little bit more baggy or with multiple layers to give me more range.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You can wear your own suit, but if you decide to I'd recommend bringing one of the tunnel's baggy suits into the chamber with you so you can put it on over your suit if you want some more drag.

I don't remember the numbers but I *think* the max speed that you will generally get in the tunnel (at 86% power) is around 136mph depending on weather conditions.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

You dont really need more speed than that too often! unless you have a porky guy like me :P

Also, with increased speed comes increased risk (and power cost... lol)

better to train on as low a speed as possible, if you are in a perfect head-down... and there is stll enough power to lift you..... your right out of options on what to do!;)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

I think they talk about the motors in % of max and that they don't usually turn them up past 88% or it pops breakers or something.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I think they talk about the motors in % of max and that they don't usually turn them up past 88% or it pops breakers or something.

Oooooh. Well, I will just have to learn to fly better, then:P

I found it hard to get into a modified sitfly in the tunnel. I will likely be out there this weekend, too. Brrrrrr.

-A

Brrrrrr.

Haha

I'm still jumping in wisconsin... I can't wait to do tunnel in jan, in FL... it will be SOOO WARM :ph34r:
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Usually it gets chilly a couple days here n there in January... So, play nice or I might be laughing at you soon enough:P:D

-A

I suppose that depends on your definition of chilly :ph34r::o:D:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Brrrrrr.

Haha

I'm still jumping in wisconsin... I can't wait to do tunnel in jan, in FL... it will be SOOO WARM :ph34r:

When in Jan are you there?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

In Orlando, I believe 85% works out to about 100mph and 100% works out to about 135mph. I've only see 'em pop the breakers a few times one day last winter.

In the Orlando tunnel, 86% (which is what they will regularly operate the tunnel at for freeflying once you have shown that you are capable) works out to about 130-135mph. Last spring and summer they were testing 95% which worked out to about 165 mph - it's fun but too much.

Right now, I was told the most power they will give is 88% which is about 140 mph.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

This past spring when I was starting, I was wondering how fast I was flying. They told me about 85% power which worked out to ~100mph.

One of my friends, who has flown for hours and hours here, told me maxium speed for the Orlando tunnel was about 135mph because they only have 1000hp, with the 1600hp higher speeds are possible. Did they upgrade the motors lately?

I've watched the control room when four way teams were training last spring and at about 85-86% power with four people in the chamber the speed drops to around 95-100mph. With an empty flight chamber the speed goes a little higher.

It's been a while since I watched the control room. I give it another look next time I go :)

Unless you have more time than Needtojump in the tunnel, go with him on this one. I'm pretty sure he is balls on accurate for the most part with the percentages and such. He's flown in the higher wind speeds that were def. above 135mph, @ Orlando. They have upgraded the fans but that was a while ago.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Sure you can get some time with us!!!! Whatever we get the hour for ($630) you can have some time and pay what we do per min. for your slot. Usually works out to $10.50 a minute. Please send me or Ari PM with contact info. so we can get this going for you :)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com