AlexJ

SkyVenture Malaysia

Hi All,

I am looking for info from anyone who has actually flown in the Skyventure tunnel located in Genting, Malaysia. I know that it is a 12ft Open tunnel and also know that it has less power than the other tunnels currently operating - 850HP as opposed to 1000HP. Is it functional for flat flying and basic training? 2-ways and 3-ways would be great. 4-way is probably out due to less power and the altitude (over 5000ft I think) but I would love to hear from someone who can say for sure!

Thanks!
Alex

I've been in the tunnel in Genting, but I've not been in any other so I have no basis for comparison. However, it is definitely functional for flat flying. We easily had 2 and 3-ways in there. I was heavier at the time (210 lbs) and wore a baggy suit but had no trouble popping up a long way. You can even freefly in there. See the attached picture of czechbase. As always, the tunnel rats are very adept at making full use of the tunnel. When we were there, there was a Japenese couple doing some "serious" training. The great thing aboutthe Malaysian tunnel is that because most of the people who use it are whuffos, the tunnel rats really look after the skydivers who come along.

Also, check out this post.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Hi Alex,

I went to the tunnel back in October. I spent about 40 minutes in there. I've done 12+ hours in Orlando and 2+ in Paris.

The Paris tunnel is a different design to the Orlando and Genting tunnels and I really don't like the Paris tunnel. The difference being that Paris has open mesh walls while the other two have solid walls.

I know that it is a 12ft Open tunnel

Not sure what you mean by this because Genting has a closed wall design just like Orlando, it isn't open or are you refering to air re-circulation?

I'll restrict my comments to a comparison of Genting and Orlando, a) because they're of a closer design and b) I just don't like the Paris tunnel.

I did mostly solo or one on one in the tunnel and found absolutely no problem with the power using my normal flat FS suit. I weigh 80Kg and was able to get well up out of sight of the people in viewing bay. Equally stopping just before hitting the bottom net was no problem.

The structure of the Orlando tunnel is outdoors and if there are changes in the wind external to the tunnel, you will rise up and down in the column of air. If you watch 4 way training at Orlando you'll see them moving up and down the column as a group. The Genting tunnel is built within the entertainment complex. This seems to provide some damping effect as I didn't notice any involuntary changes of hieght.

I'm not a freeflyer, but I was quite able to Knee or booty fly, so that my knees where at the top of the glass windows.

Criticisms...
Orlando has an awesome digital debriefing system, Genting doesn't. Genting has a variety of camera positions, some high set and some low set. If you want to debrief 4 way work make sure you ask the rats to set the video to use the high level camera.

Orlando has a high population of skydivers. When your at Orlando I've always found people to share time with or get advice from. At Genting I was the only skydiver there. I did a short session sharing my time with whuffo tourists and the rat. Once the tourists had done there time I was in the tunnel alone. Just me and the rat. I did two minutes, he did 1, turn and turnaround.

On the plus side, you have to book Orlando weeks if not months ahead to be sure of getting time. This is important if your coming from far away (the UK). There have been times when I've wanted extra time and Orlando has just been booked out. On my trip to Genting, I arrived unanounced and they put me straight in. I couldn't ask for more than that.

The rats at Orlando are typically skydivers, while those at Genting don't skydive, but don't let that put you off, they are awesome at body flight. As Craig said, they also welcome skydivers and they really looked after me over the whuffo tourists.

And then there is cost. When I was there they did 2 minutes for 38 Malaysian Ringgit, which works out at about £6 a session. Thats cheaper than Orlando and way way cheaper than Paris. They also said they'd do discount rates for block bookings.

So in short, yes I'd like more power. But the power there is, is adequate for flat flying. Having scouted the ground I'll be going back to Genting to do 4 way training.

This is second hand, I have a friend who freeflys, she said sit was no problem, but the rats wouldn't let her try head down. Sadly as a woman travelling alone she got hassled by a man on her way back to KL, but if you read the women only forum, you'll see that happens at Orlando too. Nothing to do with the tunnel, just a sad reflection of our society and some mens bad attitude to women, and a heads up to girls to stay aware when travelling alone.

On a happier note, Malaysia is awesome, I found the people to be very friendly and keen to try out their English. I can't speak Malaysian at all, had never been before and despite knowing nothing except that I wanted to go to Genting, I got there and back with no problems and for as cheap as chips. Prices for hotels, goods and food are very very low. I missed the last train back to KL and got a taxi back. It was an 90 minute drive for £12 including a decent tip. Back home £12 would get you about 10 minutes in a taxi. If you catch the bus it costs about £1.20. I found the bus ride there a hoot. Once you are out of the city the road is a good wide dual carraigeway and the bus used all three lanes! Even wilder was the ride down the mountain in the taxi. My taxi driver, using the other traffic as mobile chicanes, again inventing a "third" lane as required. But the best laugh of all are the advertising hoardings. Adverts for Ferodo brake pads and discs perched next to the most precipitous bends. I love white nuckle rides and this was for real... Love it, love it, love it.

Hope this was helpfull.