billvon

Tunnel saturation

I have to disagree. Even training 4-way in a 12 ft tunnel is beneficial. While you are limited by the size you would be surprised at what blocks you can do. I just got done training 4-way for 4 hours in Skyventure Colorado and the results were fantastic. the difference with tunnel training and real skydiving training is that not every formation builds on the center point of the previous formation but has to be centered up on the center point of the tunnel. A small factor in the big scheme of being truly competitive in the world of 4-way FS.

ParacleteXP

I saw the one in Hollywood last week. It's on the Universal Studios City walk and will have a window onto one of the busiest tourist streets in SoCal. It's right across from the Hardrock Cafe Hollywood.

Parking is a fortune, so I doubt it will get much skydiver traffic, plus as the tourists walked by this site almost all of them made some excited remark about trying it, and disappointment when it wasn't open yet. Their walk in traffic will be huge.

While you are limited by the size you would be surprised at what blocks you can do. I just got done training 4-way for 4 hours in Skyventure Colorado and the results were fantastic.

Kirk, I think you are talking about the blocks you can do. As for the blocks the rest of us can do in a 12 footer, not so much.

First of all, hardly anybody actually does 4-way in a tunnel

Most, if not all, 4-way teams do 4-way in a tunnel.

When I wrote that (all the way back in 2004) tunnels were mostly 10 footers, and very few teams were actually spinning 4-way in them - especially not blocks. For sure the 12 footers (and bigger) have changed that.

Canuck

what are the implications of that on flying in it compared to other tunnels (if any)?

tash

My guess (after talking to the head of the build crew) is that the only difference most flyers will notice is the size. 11ft by 9ft I believe, and it's a nice chamber! I'm imagining there will be more than enough power for the reduced volume of air. As a plus one of the best instructors I've had the pleasure of working with is going to be there. Congrats Steven!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Current run down of tunnels has me a bit worried too:

Orlando
Raeford (in construction)
NH
Piegon Forge TN
Eloy
CO
Ogden Utah (in construction)
Perris
NorCal (in construction)
Hollywood (in construction)
Las Vegas
Lebanon Ohio (Portable but its home base)

I understand CO has been very successful in their "league" format and expecially in their youth league. My concern is just how many markets will be able to support the tunnels before they start reaching over saturation and closing?

Looking at SkyVentures's site they have sold 4 more tunnels for the East coast. 1 in NYC, 2 in NJ and 1 in Philly. That will be 3 tunnels in a 3 hour drive.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't understand why there aren't any tunnels in the top left bit of USA. A prosperous city like Seattle which doesn't have the best weather for skydiving. You'd probably have the cousins from Vancouver driving down to use it too. To me that would be a great location with all the right ingredients, anybody know if any tunnels are planned for Seattle area?

I think we need to remember, that although WE think that tunnels are all about skydiving when the weather is bad, a financially successful tunnel realises that the one-offs are more lucrative. In the same way that there aren't too many rollercoaster parks in the US, it will be a while before there are too many tunnels.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Actually, Six Flags the second largest theme park owner in the US is near financial collapse and has started selling off parks to outside groups. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/09/ap/business/mainD8IOOA281.shtml

Overstaturation of the market is one of the factors that analysts have talked about with them suffering falling demand for their parks.

I think that there are still some tourist areas that are still untapped, but they are quickly getting filled. Chicago is the largest one that comes to mind. I do hope that the tunnels as they focus on the whuffo market remember to keep block prices so that I can come fly for an hour if I need my fix again.:ph34r:
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Actually, Six Flags the second largest theme park owner in the US is near financial collapse and has started selling off parks to outside groups. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/09/ap/business/mainD8IOOA281.shtml

ok, I take it back, note to self: check facts better in future before posting :$

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Let's play a little numbers game. A conservative one based on the 6 million people within a half hour's driving radius from the tunnel in the bay area going up.

Pretend only 10% of the people are going to try it. That's 600,000 customers.

Let's say it only operates for an average of 8 hours of first time flyer business a day. One class every half hour with only 10 people per class (it's a guestimated average since weekends fill up with the full 12 or 13 per class and week days will have some slower, smaller classes). That's 160 people a day.

600,000 / 160 = 3750 days or a little more than 10 years to get through all that business. Even if 5% go through that is still 5 years of continuous business. All living within 30 minutes of the tunnel.

Then you figure that populations change, people come in and out of town, repeat business like Colorado's Leagues, and the meat and potatoes of local skydivers who buy 15 minutes to a couple hours a day for camps. That's not even tapping into the tourists that heavily. There's practically an endless source of business when you build near or in a big city.

I think the big tunnels will have to compete for camps (because bigger = better is a simple marketting ploy), and everyone will have to compete for a good coaching population (these guys really do the selling for you when it comes to skydivers), but local population will always be changing and there will always be curious folks who want to try something new.

Tunnel saturation? Is it even possible? All I see is more options and variety for skydivers and an industry that can be self sustaining without us jumpers which means that it'll still be there for us even when we cut back on our check books for a few months at a time. How much more could we ask for?
Don't Confuse Me With My Own Words