Q20

Windtunnel for FS cameraman

Any thoughts on a newbie FS cameraman (newbie to camera work, intermediate skydiver) getting windtunnel coaching, i.e. Would an FS coach or a freefly coach add the most value for camera work, should I perhaps rather be spending the $ on jump tickets getting actual camera-work practice?

should I perhaps rather be spending the $ on jump tickets getting actual camera-work practice?

Yep. Add to that most tunnels won't alow you to take a camera helmet in with you.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Some teams (who book the tunnel by themselves--not shared with another team) are cool enough to invite their cameraflyer (without camera helmet of course) to fill 30 seconds of 'break time' between their 2 minute flight-time rounds. :)
Cool teams do, that is. B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

most tunnels won't alow you to take a camera helmet in with you.

Some will. Mind you, even they got a bit aggitated when we leaned into the tunnel, through the door way, to take pictures with hand-held cameras! :-o Which once pointed out, seems reasonable
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I think that practicing your video work in the tunnel is the best way to go when you can get in and practice while flying. Although SkyVenture is mostly against cameras due to the fact that any breakage will cause MAJOR problems, I know that if you pass inspection they would let you in with it. The N. Carolina tunnel allows ALL camera flyers to wear and practice with their equipment because even if it breaks it won't cause any problems (it has no moving parts above or below the flyer).

So if you can get into a tunnel with your camera, you should, it's one of the fastest mose efficient ways to train and if you can video someone in such close quarters, then you will have no problem keeping your spot in the sky!

Blue Skies & Fast Tunnels

Any thoughts on a newbie FS cameraman (newbie to camera work, intermediate skydiver) getting windtunnel coaching, i.e. Would an FS coach or a freefly coach add the most value for camera work, should I perhaps rather be spending the $ on jump tickets getting actual camera-work practice?

How about just wearing the suit and learning to fly around with that on.

Not filming, just learning to fly better; the same as you do for relheads and freaks...

That's what I thought the question was...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

The better flier you are, the better is your camerawork. And tunnel is a great tool to become a better flier. I've learned many cool tricks in the tunnel (esp. side- and backslides, not to mention body awareness) which I would never dare to try on an actual camera skydive with a team - and now I use these tunnel skills on every jump. Go for it (and make the team cover the cost :P)