sangiro

Welcome Tunnel Rats!

I'm so glad we have it now(.)

It being the forum? I thought Avion was suggesting a profile field? This does not (yet?) exist.

Just cause you're a good skydiver doesn't mean you can figure out how to walk on the walls of a tunnel.

The converse is also true. Being able to walk (walls/floor) in the tunnel is a useful skill in the tunnel, but does not translate well to the air.

There are many things people have done that they want recognition for or validation from. Should each of these exist in their profile as a separate field? What is the litmus test for inclusion? Where is the line drawn? The existing jump profile does not have a field for freefall time, only jump numbers, but certainly someone who does only hop-n-pops is less "qualified" to offer freefall advice than another with equivalent jump numbers from full altitude; there is currently no distinction. Further, I presently have accrued in the neighborhood of fifty hours "in the wind", but you would be better off asking how to back-fly from another with far less tunnel time.

Perhaps the better validation is to let someone's posting history - quality of information, not volume - establish their "credentials". There are some on these fora with more jumps than myself whom I would not seek for advice, and many people with far fewer from whom I would crave it. As in most fora (not just dropzone.com), authenticity is earned via a developed reputation, not the mention of a name or number.

But I do like the idea of a tunnel specific forum. It will be interesting to see the subject matter develop, especially as more tunnels are opened.