Paulipod

No such thing as a Wind Tunnel!

Hmm... would a re-circulating tunnel go into the sucker or blower category I wonder...

As the flow is pulled then pushed :S

Either way, based on all the debate within this thread I have decided to rename our facility to the Bedford Joy Pipe.

:D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Paul, ya know I luv ya by now right?;)
I don't see anywhere where the new Bedford Joy Pipe actually 'pushes':S unless I'm missing something.

HOWEVER, your recirculating tunnel, with it's single fan/prop above orientation is much more efficient than the 'other' competitors sucking design, but is still a sucker :P

The single fan/prop above recirculating design creates an environment friendly for an "in draft" tunnel, and shouldn't cause speed dropouts or fluxuations in the flow when engaged, just like the blowers. So by MY definition, you should have the BEST sucker available!!!
B|

Thanks B| I think so too...

But when I say it pushes..... strictly speaking any recircultiing tunnel has a flow which is accelerated, then just topped up (ie.. when the flow is moving the ER is better)

So what I meant was, in some ways this makes it irrelevant where the fan(s) is (hope that makes sense)

But I would agree... I had had to pick a category...

I am a sucker :D:P;)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

strictly speaking any recircultiing tunnel has a flow which is accelerated, then just topped up

actually only yours and one other, accelerate the air as it comes around, and there are at least a couple others that recirculate that don't accelerate, so again... your on top of the curve there too!

But whos keeping score??;):P;)

The first "wind tunnel" is attributed to the Wright Brothers who invented it. They used it to test the lifting ability of certain airfoils.

Nowadays NASA uses a wind tunnel at the Ames Research Center in California that's the world's largest at 80 x 120 feet.

Now turn that one up on its ear and imagine the possibilities. "Man, that 50-way was flying great, until it funneled trying to transition to the second point, and then it got real ugly . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

Actually...
the first wind tunnel was not invented by the Wright Brothers... however, they did use one first for testing airfoils.

The first wind tunnel was invented in 1871 by Frank H. Wenham about 29 years before Wilbur & Orville got theirs going...http://www.bodyflight.net/history_1800-1916.html
:)
Ames can reach speeds of 250mph!!! Wouldn't THAT be fun... lol..