Paulipod

No such thing as a Wind Tunnel!

Been thinking... :D always a bad sign!!

Why do we call them wind Tunnels?! Tunnels are only underground passages etc.. (as defined by the dictionary)

Surely we should call them Wind Funnels?! well they are fun too... so maybe a rename is in order :P

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Definition of Tunnel....

A passage through or under a barrier.

What about passing through the barrier of learning how to fly your body ;) granted it's a bigger barrier to some of us then it is to others :S
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I think this definition explains it all:

wind tunnel
n : a structure resembling a tunnel where air is blown at known velocities for testing parts of aircraft

Course dictionary definitions don't matter all that much. Wind tunnels are used for testing all kinds of things... buildings, boat keels, cars, etc.

Dave

Definition of Tunnel....

An underground or underwater passage.
A passage through or under a barrier.
Obsolete. The main flue on a chimney.

You can likely find a dictionary to support whichever definition most agrees with your proposition. I used m-w.com to garner:

Etymology: Middle English tonel tube-shaped net, from Middle French, tun, from Old French, from tonne tun, from Medieval Latin tunna
1 : a hollow conduit or recess : TUBE, WELL

But my resource has an etymology that further supports wind tunnel as a correct use. QED. ;-)

-- Dave

Surely doesnt matter which way you face... done of these apply

The main flue on a chimney

A vertical tube that moves smoke and air up....Fits just fine.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

wind chimney perhaps ...

Simulated Freefall Tube

Vertical Virtual flying thingy:P

WHO REALLY CARES, It's expensive and I'm going to spend some money in the Florida one:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

[:/]actually less than 10% of currently operational tunnels really suck;)

If you want to bring open air flight simulators into the mix of a semantics thread on wind 'tunnels' then enjoy yourself.

I think any thread based on semantics should immediately be moved to speakers corner. They really are the masters at it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If you want to bring open air flight simulators into the mix of a semantics thread on wind 'tunnels' then enjoy yourself.

What are you talking about..?
I am talking about vwt's!

Actually I was just talking about chocolate, but in this point I was only differentiating between indoor and outdoor (that's where I thought you were going). The outdoor vwt's are even harder to tag with the label 'tunnel'. Of course I'll always bow to you expertise in this issue. Or, you really do mean all the different enclosed tunnels are blowers?.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Rehmwa,

I love chocolate, we can talk about that all day long!;)

I think there could be a better name, in fact we MOSTLY describe them ourselves as body flying facilities. But really, the prop jobbie portables, even they provide a column/tunnel of air.

As I'm sure has been pointed out already: A tunnel can be defined as, A structure, installation, or facility incorporating apparatus to simulate flight conditions in one way or another, specially designed for testing or experimenting with power plants, or with aircraft, rockets, or other aerodynamically designed bodies, engine installations, or models; specifically, a wind tunnel.

More specifically however, I was talking about VWTs that SUCK. Which of course there are very few since the design itself causes instability in the air flow & test section.

No need to bow down.. you can throw money instead.

Current Stats:
Operation VWTs World Wide: 8% Suckers 92% Blowers
VWTs Currently Under Construction: 75% Suckers 25% Blowers

That will still only takes the sucker category to 26% of total facilities World Wide.