hungarianchick

Wind tunnel in NH?

First of all apologies to HH and the Greenies if this is the wrong forum for this post...

I was at Skydive Pepperell in MA this past weekend and I overheard a conversation about a tunnel being built in Nashua, NH and is expected to be open by January next year. I'm guessing it might be one of those portable operations or an outdoor one.
I was intrigued but I didn't want to butt into the conversation. A thorough search on the internet yielded nothing.:(

Does anybody have info on this? Any would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx!
Alex

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Plans are in the works to take advantage of the natural wind in the vicinity of Mount Washington, NH, which experienced a world record straight-line (non-tornadic) wind of 231 mph (372 kph) in April 1934. The plans call for redirecting the somewhat variable wind to a constant vertical stream of up to 150 mph via a series of channels, constrictors, and regulators, without the need for noisy, hot, and fuel-greedy engines and air pumps. Of note-worthy benefit is the extreme cold, which makes for much denser air and better lift for more aerodynamic individuals. The proposed January opening date has been chosen to highlight the advantages of indoor skydiving in the sub-arctic weather common at Mt Washington in the winter.

Still under development are special undergarments, to be worn for warmth under standard skydiving jumpsuits. The original plan called for ultra-flexible extension cords to power electrically heated suits, but there were problems with entanglements (especially for beginning free-flyers), and on one occasion a cord came unplugged and caused major damage to the walls and glass when the plug beat chaotically against the sides of the tunnel. Dry-cell battery-powered suits are in the works, since wet-cell batteries were found unsuitable during one dramatic test.

Soon the facility's home page will be up and running: check http://www.skydivemountwashington.com (part of the Adventure Skydiving Network) for details.

Mark

A little update on the progress of proposed wind tunnel in NH.....

Click here: The Telegraph Online or if that does not come out as a link, here is the address

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040826/BUSINESS/208260326/-1/business

I still have yet to be able to make these things a clicky, if someone could, I would appreciate it.

I am so excited, we are goinng to have our own wind tunnel in New England, and I am going to be even more broke than I already am....but I'll be smiling!!

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

We are gearing up to break ground! Our site work should begin in August. We do not have a date yet when we will be open,.. but we are in hopes of this Jan./Feb. Due to other things in the project we are running behind on our web site but should have that up and running by mid to end of August.
Thanks for asking and Blue Skies!
Laurie & Rob