tigra

Wind Tunnel Question

I'm going to the LA area for a long weekend, and while I don't plan on bringing my gear to skydive, I was considering the wind tunnel in Perris. Can anyone tell me what I should bring to fly in the tunnel? My own jumpsuit? I didn't think to grab my helmet when I left the dz Sunday, so that's out...........

yeah your own jumpsuit will be fine, they will be able to loan you a helmet as u will need one. Take some gloves too if you have them.They like you to wear them cos of the net. Not sure if they charge to borrow helmets, you best ask them. I havent been to the tunnel in perris but been to the one in orlando run by the same company.
Have fun! ;)

----------------------
---------
"Life is an adventure, dare it"
Mother Teresa.

You're in for a great time and good workout. I got to play in the tunnel for an hour (4x15min) last month and it was a blast. I'm in pretty decent shape, but I've never been so sore in some odd places.

As far as equipment, they have everything you need. I bought all my own, but ended up using theirs. Mostly, because I was getting freefly coaching and at 200lbs I needed to wear a much more baggy suit than I usually do. If you're under 180lbs or are doing belly (or back) flying you should be all good with your regular suit. They didn't charge me for equipment use, but I was paying for tunnel time and coaching. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Have a great time!
Arizona Drive 4-Way VFS - www.DriveVFS.com

I havent been to the tunnel in perris but been to the one in orlando run by the same company.

Depending on what type of flying you want to do you may or may not want to use your suit. If you will be doing RW bring your own. Otherwise if freeflying you will probably only be on your back so your suit should be fine.

They also aren't the same company. The dropzone owns the tunnel as a franchise.

I thought it was a skyventures windtunnel?
and she is taking her jumpsuit anyway.. there was no mention of it being any type of suit.. I was only trying to help
gees
:(

---------
---------
"Life is an adventure, dare it"
Mother Teresa.

I don't recall if they charge for the jumpsuit rental. They didn't for my coaching sessions. They also supply helmets and ear plugs (decent disposable type)

One reason you might prefer to use their's is that you get a certain amount of bug splatter on your suit and shoes. Not horrendous, but present.

One reason you might prefer to use their's is that you get a certain amount of bug splatter on your suit and shoes

Nothing a little Shout can't get out.

You don't need gloves. I fly without them all the time.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'm in pretty decent shape, but I've never been so sore in some odd places.

You got that right! I just did 20-minutes in the Perris tunnel this past Thursday morning, and I'm still sore in the shoulders; the best workout I've had in years.

It was also well worth the money to hire a coach for the training session. I'm an old timer from the "baggy suits with swoop cords" days, so it was nice to focus on modern leg control techniques. Unfortunately, I was on a business trip, so I didn't have my latest RW suit with its tight arms and booties. The optional video is a nice review tool. Overall, the Perris Wind Tunnel is a first class facility from the tunnel itself, the office, the clean rest rooms, and even the asphalt parking lot too. It's refreshing to see this sort of investment in the sport.

Jumsuit, gloves (you will need them this time of year especially at night) and perhaps a long sleeve turtleneck. A full face helmet is ideal but protec/goggles will work. Bring your weight belt if you normally use one. Earplugs are a must but they have them there.

Yes, I agree. Deside if you are willing to get your suit dirty.
If you are jumping a dark suit it will not matter much.
And also, it is a huge advantage to do the tunnel in your regular jumpsuit as different jumps suits make you fly slightly different.

Jumps suits are supposed to be all smothered in bugs anyway. Its importaint souveniers! :S Or, at least that was what we told ourselves over and over again. We had Royal Blue and White jumpsuits!!

All future jumpssuits I own will be black! :)
Edited to add:
Make sure you get video of your tunnel. Its a great tool for becoming aware of your small errors and thereby improving your chance of correcting them in the future.