wildernessmedic

TI FAA medical?

The FAA does not have a requirement for a medical but the manufacturers and USPA do. A military medical will usually suffice as well, however I am not aware of any dropzone except the rare few that do not have some requirement.

If you cannot pass a Class III medical, then I expect there are a number of things that you should not be doing....

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you may be screwed. I also have a PPL, but was denied a 3rd when I checked the box for sleep apnea. There is no 3rd class medical for skydiving only.
If you want to be a TI in the United States, you pretty much need to pass a 3rd class medical.
Like you, I'd love to hear from anyone who successfully became a TI without it.

Interestingly enough, I started skydiving 5 years ago when I could no longer fly because I couldn't pass a 3rd class. I didn't think I would get hooked on it as much as I have, and never thought I would consider becoming a TI. Now that I have the experience and desire to become a TI, I am running into the 3rd class medical issue.

If you cannot pass a Class III medical, then I expect there are a number of things that you should not be doing....

The FAA has determined a diagnosis of sleep apnea 10 years ago does keep me from piloting a plane, primarily because a commerical pilot fell asleep and overflew one of the Hawaiian islands.

It seems unlikely I would fall asleep during the time it takes to perform the duties of a TI, but there is only one 3rd class exam that is designed to evaluate pilots and not TI's.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

tkhayes

Well, you expect wrong....

There are a lot of disqualifying factors that MAY effect flying (still believe they don't) that wouldn't effect being a TI.

I understand it's a liability thing because of what's on paper, but the FAA likes to take medical issues that have a huge spectrum of symptoms and dq you for things you might not even have. They don't care about the individual or finding out more in detail, just what box is checked on the paper.

There are a lot of disqualifying factors that MAY affect flying (still believe they don't) that wouldn't effect being a TI.

and there is a process in place to waive those things and still get a Class III issued. I know that because I go through that process every year to get my Class II

So I re-state that if you cannot manage a Class III medical, (a reasonable request when you are taking passengers up for rides where their life depends on your skillset and abilities), then maybe you should not be doing it.

No one said all the rules are fair to everyone all the time, but for 99.99% of the time, it works reasonably well and sets a standard.

In the near future, the FAA may not require a class lll medical for private pilots. I am not talking about what they call light sport. Seems odd that the rules may change to allow a private pilot to carry 4+ passengers without a medical, where a TI would need a medical to carry one.

tkhayes

There are a lot of disqualifying factors that MAY affect flying (still believe they don't) that wouldn't effect being a TI.

and there is a process in place to waive those things and still get a Class III issued. I know that because I go through that process every year to get my Class II

So I re-state that if you cannot manage a Class III medical, (a reasonable request when you are taking passengers up for rides where their life depends on your skillset and abilities), then maybe you should not be doing it.

No one said all the rules are fair to everyone all the time, but for 99.99% of the time, it works reasonably well and sets a standard.

I will agree with you that they work MOST of the time but not 99.9%

I am in the process of disputing it but haven't heard the final word yet. The FAA asked for me to do a bunch of neurological tests, which I did at great expense and time. Then when I submitted it the deadline had already passed. To their own admittance it was submitted plenty before the deadline but THEY couldn't review it in time so they had to deny me. When I fought it they then said forget allll that testing we required and just write a sworn statement of being able to fly. No word yet.

I'd say that's a pretty flawed system even if they DO grant me it. So they needed testing but now just want me to pinky promise I'm ok? And if they deny me they didn't even care to review what THEY requested and required?

I'm aware they won't require it in the future. I regret not knowing that before I got into this year long nightmare. I would have waited.

I also have my Third Class Certificate under a Special Issuance. It took 6 month and a couple memos/letters from my doctor to have my medical re-issued. I was diagnosed with arthritis and take a med off the excluded list. But 6 months is no big deal out of 20 years doing tandems.

In the big picture, it is easier to comply with the medical stuff then go around it I think.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

TEB6363

I also have my Third Class Certificate under a Special Issuance. It took 6 month and a couple memos/letters from my doctor to have my medical re-issued. I was diagnosed with arthritis and take a med off the excluded list. But 6 months is no big deal out of 20 years doing tandems.

In the big picture, it is easier to comply with the medical stuff then go around it I think.

Well in my case the cost of a core test battery from a licensed person was 6-$10,000.00.

And like I said, I complied, and then they said never mind. Sure hope it doesn't end in a final denial. But if it does it sounds like I'm out of luck on ever becoming a TI.

Here are the new rules. Note it excludes flying for compensation or hire.

https://www.aopa.org/News-and-Media/All-News/2017/January/10/FAA-releases-final-rule-for-third-class-medical-reform?utm_source=ePilot&utm_medium=Content&utm_content=tts&utm_campaign=170111special
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

DBCOOPER

That makes it sound like even if I was denied I can retake the new one and get it. So confusing. Sure would have been nice if I just waited for the new medical.

tred

Pilot limitation: Cannot operate for compensation or hire

to me this doesn't help you because as a TI you would operate for compensation.??

I'm pretty sure commercial pilot is a different realm then TI. It's my understanding it's just the medical portion but who knows what the overlap is with the new medical.

The big reform is you only have to take a Class III Medical exam once. After you pass that, you only have to see a doctor every 4 years and watch an online medical powerpoint every 2 years. That assumes your health hasn't changed since the initial exam.

I would bet big money you will still have to pass the Class III medical exam once to become a TI.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

DBCOOPER

Here are the new rules. Note it excludes flying for compensation or hire.

You also can't fly for compensation or hire with a Class 3 Medical.

The USPA needs to stop letting UPT tell them how to run the Tandem program. Or the USPA needs to just hand it back to UPT.

Even the freaking FAA has agreed that pilots flying 1320 pound aircraft don't need a medical. Glider pilots don't need a medical. Balloon pilots don't need a medical. And you can do all of these for hire.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Good luck with that!

I've gone round and round with Mike Mullins over the wording in the USPA requirements where it says "class 3 or equivalent" for example the DOT medical is an equivalent, in fact it's the same damn test! The USPA i.e. Mike Mullins is always come back to me with it's all about the damn DUI's. Even though it's been pointed out that anyone with a commercial drivers license is required by the DOT to carry this medical would be subject to any DUIs the first one will get your license suspended the medical is attached to your license a second DUI would be a revocation of your license which would then be a revocation of your medical, because the medical is attached to the drivers license you no longer carry the medical card with you. Reason for that change was to prevent people from carrying multiple medical cards with them and faking when they were having issues that revoke their medical card.

You have to renew your DOT medical every couple years the same as you would your class III medical the FAA reside in the house of the DOT so one would think that that would suffice as an equivalent but it's not good enough to USPA because there's no reporting of DUIs to the FAA. However should you get DUI'S as a commercial license holder with a DOT medical and lose your commercial license for life then you would lose your medical, and the DUIs would be reported on your drivers license record. Doesn't seem that hard to me to require those with that exemption to supply the USPA with a record of their MVR, where any and all DUIs would be listed.

Bottom line is not going to happen stuck with the class III as long as the current process is enforced.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

See, but that is my point. The FAA does not care. It is just the USPA caving to the manufacturers.

Does the USPA work for them, or the USPA membership.

And don't get me started with the BS DUI crap. Is the USPA going to start drug testing? Are they going to have breathlizer tests at random?
So basically, the USPA claims it is for DUI's but you can jump stoned or drunk just as long as you have not gotten a DUI.

So the USPA needs to either:
1. Listen the the damn FAA where they don't care. And if the tandem manufacturers don't like it, hand the damn Tandem Instructor program back over to them. Let UPT certify instructors and they can demand any damn thing they want.

2. Listen to the damn FAA and tell the Tandem Manufacturers to pound sand.

3. Tell the membership the USPA is basically owned by UPT.

#3 is basically what we have now anyway.... They should just change the USPA to the 'United States we do what UPT tells us to do Association.

Seriously, with the recent Basic Med the FAA is going away from the third class medical.... Yet the USPA still requires it?

Fucking stupid and only shows how much the USPA is ordered around by UPT et, al.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Pretty damn annoying. I got my DOT medical no problem and still hold it in conjunction with my ambulance license. I really can't stand the FAAs corrupted crap. I get it's for safety but the need to make some major changes. I can't believe they would make someone pay 6-10 thousand dollars and then say never mind we don't even want the test results.

wildernessmedic

Pretty damn annoying. I got my DOT medical no problem and still hold it in conjunction with my ambulance license. I really can't stand the FAAs corrupted crap. I get it's for safety but the need to make some major changes. I can't believe they would make someone pay 6-10 thousand dollars and then say never mind we don't even want the test results.

Doc, I believe you're probably in the same boat I was in and I now have a 2nd class, may go for a 1st next month for my renewal.

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat about this.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I also posted this on the tandem forum.

Having or getting a DUI/DWI does not necessarily prevent someone from getting or keeping their medical.

Most pilots and even more tandem instructors do not know the FAA requirements for reporting DUI/ DWI/ drug related action, they must be reported within 60 days to;

Federal Aviation Administration
Security and Investigations Division (AMC-700)
P.O. Box 25810
Oklahoma City, OK 73125

Failure to do this may result in suspension or revocation of the medical. You can't wait until your next medical to notify the FAA. In addition, if you ever held a an FAA medical in the past and it expired long ago, you still have to notify the FAA within 60 days of an action if you ever plan to get a medical in the future. The FAA keeps records for a long time and may deny your future medical. See the links below for more information and an example of the letter required.

After the initial notification, a follow up letter notifying the FAA of the outcome will usually result in no action. Many states as a result of a DWI will require some sort of alcohol program or counseling. This should be included in the letter.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/investigations/airmen_duidwi/duidwi_reporting/

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/investigations/airmen_duidwi/airman_faqs/

Check near a major airport to see if there is a doctor who specializes in FAA medical screenings. That person will be able to help you understand the parameters and how to get exceptions made (that's not the official term but I can remember what is). A lot of doctors do FAA exams only a clew hours a month as a side gig and will have much less FAA specific experience.

You sure in a hurry to go kill some innocent students... Go thru the go thru if you want to be a TI. You cant blame anyone for your personal situation. Flying Tandems is flying passengers. you may not like the machine that is presently in place but if you want to fly or perform tandems in the US you will comply. It is easier when you leave the belly aching at home and show the docs and administrators your grown up skills..

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

chutem

This guy, Dr. Bruce Chien, can fix this with the FAA if it can be fixed. He is Da Man when it comes to hard case medicals. Contact him and be excruciatingly honest with him, he can smell BS from a mile away.
https://flightphysical.com/dr-chien-dirksen-pkwy

If you know anyone that is an AOPA member he is well known on the Forums there.

Yep, Bruce is awesome. You do have to tell him everything or he will cut you away like a spinning main.

Very reasonable price too, he just wants to help people and I am positive that he put in far more work than he wanted payment for.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message