wildernessmedic

TI FAA medical?

The FAA can be a pain but the waiver process exists for a variety of issues and really is not that challenging. It will, however, take some time most likely: the FAA is not known for their awesome response time to any request that is asking for an exemption or waiver.

I've been through the medical waiver process multiple times as a pilot and it might take several months to get a response, but eventually I was approved. Do the paperwork...

and really is not that challenging.

I had to have cystoscopy after the AME said it would find nothing, my PCP said it would find nothing, and the urologist said it would find nothing.

I had to pay for several visits, the procedure, and several follow ups to find...... ..... Nothing.

Add in that Basic Med just kicked off and that allows a pilot to fly a 6K pound plane with 6 PAX's with an online test and a Doctor visit and the demand from the USPA that we have medicals to do tandems becomes more silly.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Add in that Basic Med just kicked off and that allows a pilot to fly a 6K pound plane with 6 PAX's with an online test and a Doctor visit and the demand from the USPA that we have medicals to do tandems becomes more silly.

+1
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Issue I am finding with BasicMed is that many Dr's are being told that their Malpractice insurance will not cover them if they sign off on a BasicMed certificate so many of them are flat out refusing to do it. I am in the process of getting a Class 3 again and was looking to go the BasicMed route but my PCP and a second Dr that I called both refused to even consider it and both told me to call the AME for me area.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Have the AME do your basic med medical. I had the same issue with my SI where my PCP would not sign a letter the FAA was asking about.... So I fired her ass and hired a guy that does AME to write the letter.

Then used a different AME for my medical.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

douwanto

You sure in a hurry to go kill some innocent students....

Uhh what? I'm not in a hurry to kill anyone. Not a student or myself.

theonlyski

*** This guy, Dr. Bruce Chien, can fix this with the FAA if it can be fixed. He is Da Man when it comes to hard case medicals. Contact him and be excruciatingly honest with him, he can smell BS from a mile away.
https://flightphysical.com/dr-chien-dirksen-pkwy

If you know anyone that is an AOPA member he is well known on the Forums there.

Yep, Bruce is awesome. You do have to tell him everything or he will cut you away like a spinning main.

Very reasonable price too, he just wants to help people and I am positive that he put in far more work than he wanted payment for.

I've already spoke with Bruce throughout the process, and got a letter from the Federal Air Surgeon himself I guess. There is no more "going through the process if you want it." There are no appeals left to file.

I had a documented TBI in Afghanistan 8 years ago. I passed all the neuro tests(in fact I scored higher than most on a lot of them) except for one, the trails test. The guy told me there was no hurry as it wasn't timed so I took my time. Apparently it was BS and it was timed. Again, it doesn't affect my ability to fly or operate machinery. I can still do drug calculations, function as the highest medical authority out of the hospital, preform invasive procedures etc...

If there's no way around a class 3 medical I guess TI is out. It seems pretty dumb they use the same test as piloting an aircraft to me. I'm sure theres a huge line of people that probably can't fly an aircraft but could still preform as a TI no problem.

DBCOOPER

Thanks for that link, I didn't know about these changes to the FAA Medicals.

I have both FAA & EASA PPL(H) licenses, so must hold both FAA Class III and EASA Class II medicals. Now that I'm 50 yrs old, I have to do the EASA every year and the FAA every 2yrs. Having both for over a decade, I find the EASA side far more onerous and expensive. I just did my EASA which costs £300 with the mandatory ECG. The FAA one is usually in-and-out in 45mins and $75 please.

On both sides, I've personally run into several "nutcase" AME's. If someone has a problem, definitely go see another doctor with understanding of the specific issue.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

As a Canadian-based Strong TIE, the manufacturer allows me a bit more flexibility. I usually ask aspiring TIs to visit a Transport Canada-approved Flight Surgeon, but only ask for a signed copy of the Dr's conclusion. I advise TI's not to waste money requesting an official aircrew medical.

Personally, I used to hold a TC Class 3 Medical (Private Pilot), but TC bureaucracy got ridiculous when I applied for a Class 1 (Commercial Pilot), so now I just renew my Class 2 (commercial bus driver) medical.

DBCOOPER

Flight instructors are authorized to act as PIC to instruct under BasicMed (and have been able to with a third class).

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/january/12/aopa-details-basicmed-rule

Can I flight instruct under BasicMed?
Yes. The FAA has stated that “flight instructors meeting the requirements of this rule may act as PIC while giving flight training without holding a medical certificate, regardless of whether the person receiving flight training holds a medical certificate.” The FAA considers the flight instructor who is acting as PIC to be “receiving compensation for his or her flight instruction” under instructor privileges but is “exercising private pilot privileges while acting as PIC of the flight.”

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I don't see how this has any affect, other than USPA possibly adding a BasicMed certificate as a valid health certificate. You can't get a BasicMed without already having a 3rd class certificate, so they will still exclude people with multiple DUI's and/or drug convictions.

This won't help people who want to become a TI, and for some reason cant' get a waivered 3rd class certificate.

It is still stupid the USPA requires a third class. The FAA does not require it for skydiving. The FAA does not require it to be an LSA instructor, Glider instructor, or Balloon instructor.

It is 100% the USPA bowing down to UPT.

I completely agree it is a stupid USPA requirement.

They will probably 'compromise' and allow a Basic Med, but as I stated in my previous post, to my understanding, you cannot have one of those without being issued a 3rd class medical certificate within the last 10 years.

So technically you wouldn't have to be holding a current valid 3rd class certificate if the USPA starts accepting Basic Med