riggerrob

What year did your school convert to throw-out pilot-chutes?

Circa 1984, our school (Waterville, Nova Scotia) bought a batch of Tomahogs from Gananoque. We salvaged reserves and AADs from our military-surplus rigs and converted to TO over the winter. TO pilotchutes were mounted on belly-bands.
Two or three schools later, we had TOs mounted on rear of leg.

During the mid-1990s, Roger Nelson started preaching the virtues of BOC TO.
During the late 1990s, American DZs rushed to convert to TO BOC. In 1997, Rigging Innovations introduced the Telesis 2 student container with BOC.
My last rigging job at Perris California was converting all of their student Telesis 1 rigs from main ripcord (spring-loaded pilot-chutes and FXC 12000M) to (2 handle) BOC. Perris was one of the last major schools to convert in 2001.

riggerrob

What year did your school convert to throw-out pilot-chutes?

Second question: were they mounted on belly-bands, rear of leg straps or bottom of container?

Skydive Chicago, before 1997 when I did my first jump. I had a throw out (BOC), Sabre 190 in Javelin rig.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We transitioned from static line to IAD in 99 at the DZ in Lyons KS, Oz Sport Parachute Culb/Center. Other than the correctly orintented depolyment with IAD over SL, the hand deploy PC and all else the same as a sport system is a great advantage. Training main rip cord and single operation syetem, then transitioning was not the best.

I believe that the K-State club changed a couple of years ago from spring loaded SL, to deploying a hand deploy PC on static line.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ