cosmicgypsy

Most common student canopy

At my DZ we mainly use PD Navigators and a few Aerodyne Triathlon's although my preference is for PD canopy's the Triathlons are a Decent Canopy.

in the good ole days when i started jumping in the early 90's :) it was a 9 cell 288SQ foot Manta.Oh boy do i wish that they would still make them. :(

irishrigger

In the good ole days when i started jumping in the early 90's :) it was a 9 cell 288SQ foot Manta.Oh boy do i wish that they would still make them. :(

Last time I checked they still do, in several sizes and 3 fabric types.

irishrigger

At my DZ we mainly use PD Navigators and a few Aerodyne Triathlon's although my preference is for PD canopy's the Triathlons are a Decent Canopy.

in the good ole days when i started jumping in the early 90's :) it was a 9 cell 288SQ foot Manta.Oh boy do i wish that they would still make them. :(

http://flightconcepts.com/9-cell-classic/

Personally, I liked the Falcon best as both a main and a reserve.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I have dressed first solo jump students with: DC-5 (280?), Goliath 340, Manta 288, Skymaster 290, Solo 270, Tutor 300, pLaser 280, PD269 and larger Navigators.
The smallest students got Skymaster 230 mains.
DC-5s were the only 5-cells and had the wimpiest flare.
All those mains had F-111 bottom skins, while a few had ZP top skins.

Reserves were: Tempo 250, Smart 250, PD253, Raven 249, etc. all 7-cells made of F-111 fabric. Yesterday I packed a PD235 reserve into a student rig.

faulknerwn

We have mostly Aerodyne Solo's and one PD Navigator. I prefer how the Solo's fly. They are crazy forgiving.

Have you had the bigger ones go boom?

My experience is that they are great student canopies, but I have seen some of the bigger ones have "hard" opening problems.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

We have 270/230/210. All opened great. The only one we had which had hard openings was a brand new 230. After a bit we noticed that it had shipped with a slider that was quite a bit smaller than the one on the Solo 210! We replaced it with a bigger slider and now it opens beautifully.

faulknerwn

We have 270/230/210. All opened great. The only one we had which had hard openings was a brand new 230. After a bit we noticed that it had shipped with a slider that was quite a bit smaller than the one on the Solo 210! We replaced it with a bigger slider and now it opens beautifully.

We must have gotten Monday production day 270's then. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P