WMO

Static Line/IAD Training DZ's

Dr.SkyFall

As an IAD student can I ask what it is about the training I am getting is subpar? What skills will I be lacking in once licensed that I will need extra training to make up for? I want to be proficient and safe skydiver so your advice is appreciated!

Your education is fine, the main difference is in DZ economics and student retention (AFF students tend to go on to become licensed and stay in the sport much more often than SL students, at least in DK). About the only actual difference is that many AFF graduates retain a panic response to hop & pops and won't exit below 1200m/4000ft, which to someone who started with SL is laughable. Personally I had my lower bound at 850m right after I got licensed, and these days I'd be happy to jump out at 700m no problem.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Greene County in Xenia Ohio has always offered Static Line training and it’s surprising how many would rather do a Static Line jump instead of Tandem or AFF.

Static line is a great and simple way to make that first solo jump. I've had my share of AFF students that I wished were on static line.. :S:D

after jump eight, it is pretty much the same as other methods.

I did static line many moons ago, and it was a stepped progression of 5 static line jumps, one hop-n-pop, three 5 second (sec) delays, three 10 sec delays, three 15 sec delays, three 20 sec delays, and three 30 sec delays, if I remember correctly.

And you could never do a "new" jump as the first jump of the day. So that, if you did three 10 sec delays on a Saturday, on Sunday, you had to do another 10 sec delay before you could do a 15 sec delay.

Twenty-five to thirty jumps was not uncommon to get off of student status.

I have not been around a dropzone that does static line training lately. Has all that changed? Are they going directly to one minute freefall after getting off static line?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

flyhi

Has all that changed? Are they going directly to one minute freefall after getting off static line?

I can't address Brent's remark directly. Possibly he's thinking of categories in the SIM rather than the actual altitudes achieved, but I'll leave that to someone who knows the US system better.

Still, static line doesn't always "hold back" people as much these days, if they happen to be the fortunate ones who have no major progression hangups.

This is an example from a Canadian DZ, where the standard PFF (like AFF) program is minimum 10 jumps including the low jump and Solo certificate test jump, while the static line is minimum 12 jumps:

5 x 4000’ (S/L, TRCP, first freefalls)
1 x 4500’
1 x 5500’
1 x 6500’
3 x 8500’
1 x 10500’